CraveTV streaming service - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-14, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

CraveTV Acquires Its Next Must-See Original Series, SHUT EYE

CraveTV today announced it has exclusively acquired the 10-episode psychic drama SHUT EYE in a deal with Sony Pictures Television. On the heels of its debut on Hulu last Wednesday in the U.S, SHUT EYE begins streaming exclusively on CraveTV on New Year's Eve, Saturday, Dec. 31.

For a sneak peek of SHUT EYE, which was shot on location in Vancouver, click HERE.

SHUT EYE joins the growing lineup of CraveTV Originals – series available only to Canadian audiences on CraveTV. Notable CraveTV Originals include CASUAL, MANHATTAN, and DEADBEAT, among others, as well as original Canadian series LETTERKENNY and RUSSELL PETERS IS THE INDIAN DETECTIVE, coming in 2017.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-14, 09:06 PM
Rookie

Cravetv - low video streaming quality?

Hello,
I am trying the cravetv streaming services on my PC link by HDMI to my HD TV but I am very surprise by the general low quality of the videos. I have no way to determine what is actually the streaming rate but the casting resolution seems a lot like a 480 to me. I tried several shows (old and more recent) they all look like I am watching a dvd on my 50inch tv: colors are dimmed, black are pixelated and fast movement almost feel like tearing the screen... I have tried on several browser (Edge, Chrome), my PC is up to date and I have a 150Mbs connection. Compare to Netflix it's day and night, so I am wondering if anyone else have noticed that Cravetv is not streaming true HD content (1080p) or if I have a problem on my side?
Thank you

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-12-14 at 09:30 PM. Reason: moved to existing thread
post #138 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-14, 10:00 PM
Veteran

Crave tv is available only in 720p if I am not mistaken, but I am not having these issues streaming videos using Apple TV or Bell Fibe set top box. I have noticed that picture quality is not as good as on Netflix but not by much.
It does not really matter if you have 150 Mbs connection or 25 Mbs. Most likely Crave tv does not work well using browsers.

post #139 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-15, 08:46 AM
Veteran

That might be my guess.

Not sure if it changed.. but i know Netflix at least used to be that way (may have changed)

That the browser had a max quality setting while streaming netflix.. 480? dont think it was 720
Even most HD streaming devices, even when your quality was at highest quality, would only stream 720 max, unless the ISP supported the netflix connect hardware at their end.. and you had an advanced capable device.

Now i think a lot of that has changed for netflix.. but may be a similar case for with Crave here.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #140 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-15, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

I've seen actual bandwidth measurements of CraveTV (all bit rates are approximate)
Apple TV3 = 6.5 Mbps, with a burst of 11 Mbps at the start to load the buffer
Fibe TV PVR (VIP 2262) = 6 Mbps
Windows 10 = 2.5 Mbps

EDIT: I think there are limits on quality that any provider can provide through a browser as dictated by the content owners. For example Netflix can only provide 720p quality on a generic browser. They will provide 1080p quality on a PC if you use Microsoft Edge, IE11 or the Netflix Windows 10 app, which all use additional protection to prevent the stream from being pirated. Netflix says their HD stream uses 3 Mbps for HD, but I'm not sure if that is for 720p or 1080p. CraveTV hasn't gotten to that level of sophistication since their user base is tiny compared to Netflix.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-12-15 at 01:41 PM. Reason: added more info
post #141 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-15, 12:12 PM

The video is mostly fine for me on Chromecast. It's not quite as good as Netflix, especially on blacks, but it definitely looks HD. What I find most annoying though is that the sound is decidedly mediocre. Low range, so it sounds like I'm using my TV speakers at all times.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #142 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-15, 02:39 PM
Veteran

Video and audio on a Chromecast are typically better due to the closed nature of the device. It's really noticeable on Netflix 4k content, even though the Chromecast is not 4k.
post #143 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-15, 05:46 PM
Rookie

Hi...just found this site. I've been streaming Netflix through my iPad to my regular Samsung TV....can I do the same with Crave TV? Sorry if I'm repeating question...this is all new to me.
post #144 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-15, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Yes, you can.
post #145 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-15, 09:49 PM
Rookie

After some testing, the best video quality for cravetv on a pc will be the app for Windows 10, the video is definitively more clear when using the app than a browser (Edge or Chrome). It's using around twice more bandwidth too. I guess it will do the trick until (if?) they release an app for my roku tv.
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #146 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

@MrFreeze could you post the bandwidth usage for the app and browser?
post #147 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 08:35 PM
Rookie

Sure,
that's under Chrome (~8Mbps)

And for the app (~25Mbps)

So actually it's around 3x for the app. The video quality of the app is still a bit under the one for Netflix but definitively much better than the browser experience.
post #148 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-17, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

@MrFreeze thanks for the graphs. It looks like your average bandwidth usage is about 2.5 for the browser and somewhere around 6 or 6.5 for the app, which corresponds to my other info. It definitely reinforces the idea that the app is the best way to go for a PC and should be pretty close to Apple TV or a set-top box like Bell or Telus.

It's not surprising that Netflix's content looks a little better. I've read some of their technical blogs and they have a team of researchers doing leading-edge analysis of their entire content library to fine-tune their proprietary compression algorithms to minimize bandwidth usage and provide a good-looking picture with a wide variety of input streams. That makes sense considering that they account for over a third of all internet download traffic in North America.
post #149 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-12-20, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

CraveTV Kicks Off the New Year

CraveTV Kicks Off the New Year with Iconic SHOWTIME Series DEXTER, CraveTV Original OUTSIDERS, Heart-Stopping Drama UNDERGROUND, CTV’s New Chilling Drama CARDINAL, Discovery’s FRONTIER, Documentary THE BEATLES: 8 DAYS A WEEK – THE TOURING YEARS, and the Season Finale of THE AFFAIR

All 8 seasons and 96 episodes of SHOWTIME hit series DEXTER begins streaming Sunday, Jan. 1
Slavery-era drama UNDERGROUND begins streaming Friday, Jan. 6
FRONTIER brings to life a thrilling and original depiction of Canada’s ruthless fur trade, streaming Friday, Jan. 20
CARDINAL premieres Tuesday, Jan. 24, 24 hours ahead of the CTV broadcast premiere
Season 1 of the gripping drama series OUTSIDERS launches Friday, Jan. 6 and Season 2 begins streaming Tuesday, Jan. 24
New episodes of THE AFFAIR available, leading up to the Season 3 finale, Sunday, 27 at 10 p.m. ET
Music titles COBAIN: MONTAGE OF HECK, THE BEATLES: 8 DAYS A WEEK – THE TOURING YEARS, and live concert special THE ROLLING STONES: HAVANA MOON, all begin streaming Friday, Jan. 27

Last Chance programming:
Titles rotating off the service this month include: THE FOLLOWING (January 7) and BATTLESTAR GALATICA (January 8)

CraveTV's January lineup - Addendum
post #150 of 467 (permalink) Old 2017-01-07, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

A Gritty Appalachian Tale: New CraveTV Original Drama Series, OUTSIDERS, Now Streaming on CraveTV

CraveTV today announced it has exclusively acquired the gripping one-hour crime drama OUTSIDERS in a deal with Sony Pictures Television. The 13-episode first season begins streaming exclusively on CraveTV Friday, Jan. 6 as part of #iCraveFridays, leading into more bloodshed in Season 2, which premieres Tuesday, Jan. 24, with new episodes streaming every Tuesday, day and date with U.S. network WGN.

Tags
bell media , cravetv , hbo canada , schedule , showtime , starz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in