Netflix to start cracking down on proxy usage? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Netflix to start cracking down on proxy usage?

"Netflix recently became available in 130 more countries, but unfortunately not every area is able to access all of its content. While Netflix works on licensing agreements, it will begin preventing customers from using proxies and unblockers to access more content. This move may not be a popular one from the company, as people obviously will want access to as much content as possible, but it is something Netflix says is necessary for its business"

After going global, Netflix starts cracking down on proxy users | Android Central

Looks like services such as UnoTelly & Unblock.us are about to engage in a cat & mouse game with Netflix as this pans out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 01:34 PM
Veteran

I can see a lot of people unsubscribing if and when this happens to Canadian subscribers. Just why is there such a discrepancy between the amount of content available in the US and Canada? If this discrepancy did not exist, neither would the use of proxies to bypass geoblocking.
post #3 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 01:49 PM

post #4 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 04:25 PM
Veteran

As of today I have not been able to access American Netflix using unblock-us.
post #5 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 05:18 PM

^
Well that sucks, I'll try mine later and see what happens.
post #6 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 06:17 PM
Veteran

This actually quite easy for Netflix to enforce. Most streaming services limit content access by the geographical location of the subscriber at the time of subscription. A Canadian subscription simply won't work in the US and visa versa. (In wireless phone terms, Netflix-like roaming is impossible.) That Netflix uses (or used) current geographical location is a convenient loophole that few, if any, other streaming services allow. Canadians may need to get a US subscription with a US address to access US content in future.
post #7 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 06:26 PM

I wonder how many people will stop their netflix subscriptions. I certainly will. I'll just stream other shows over the internet. There is nothing that I absolutely must watch on netflix. I thought getting rid of cable would be bad but it was actually rather good, and the same will go for netflix. Their loss
post #8 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 06:30 PM
Veteran

US address may not help either. Good example is HBO GO service where you need an American address and credit card to set up an account and HBO would still recognize customers outside of US.
post #9 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 06:42 PM
Veteran

If Netflix blocks US and UK roaming I will likely cancel as well. About half of what I watch is only available in the US and I know of no Canadian sources for most of it. When I look at the Canadian program selection, I just want to give up on the service. Their are a few Netflix original programs I watch but I can do that in one or two months a year. I might even be able to get it all watched in a free first month.
post #10 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 07:06 PM
Veteran

Challenge accepted, Netflix.

So far our account still work on American Netflix.
post #11 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 07:19 PM
Veteran

Hulu has apparently been doing this for a long time, but I haven't noticed.

Like I've said in other posts here in the past, determining location based on your IP address is a really hard problem to solve because IP addresses weren't ever supposed to have any association with a physical location.

Ultimately, the companies like Unblock-Us have the home field advantage.

If Netflix is okay with "false positives" (i.e. blocking some of their customers in the USA, collateral damage), then they will probably be able to effectively block Canadian users using USA Netflix too. Or, at least they'll make it really annoying for the proxy companies.

We'll see. Maybe Netflix has a magic bullet, but I somehow doubt it.
post #12 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I'm finishing up one anime on Netflix and then may drop my subscription.
post #13 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 07:48 PM
Veteran

There is still enough content on the Canadian Netflix to be worth my subscription but I will miss having access to the UK library. Hopefully Netflix's technological victory will be short lived. At the moment my unblock-us DNS service is still letting me access the US and UK library.
post #14 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 08:55 PM
Veteran

It's in Netflix's best interests to only do a marginal job at this, enough to appease the license holders. As it doesn't effect them directly and if they turn a blind eye it just makes their customers happier.
Coop and Voodoocobra like this.
post #15 of 264 (permalink) Old 2016-01-15, 05:15 AM

If they aren't perceived to be doing a good job of blocking then they may find it much harder to buy content. That is the real danger on Netflix's end.
DSgamby likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in