Netflix Issues - Smart TV, PS3 ... - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-06-29, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Netflix Issues - Smart TV, PS3 ...

We have had Netflix for several years and never had an issue. About a month ago Netflix on the Sharp Aquos and PS3 both started having issues. It takes a long time to load the episodes or movies and then frequently reloads throughout the viewing of them. For a 22 minute tv episode it can take 35 minutes to watch ... or longer.

We called our internet company, they checked from their end to our house ... we did speed tests and nothing has changed there. We even swapped our our wireless router to a dual band router and put the tv on it's own network ... still having issues.

Has anyone else had issues like this and if so, how did you resolve? At this point we may have to cancel Netflix as it is such a pain to watch.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-06-29, 12:58 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Sounds like a WiFi issue. Wire it directly if possible. Someone else may have added WiFi near your home, causing issues, etc.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-06-29, 01:22 PM

If you still have problems when you hardwire your devices, click on the link in this thread to check the http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/217-...ml#post2431809, which also measures the effectiveness of the ISP backbone infrastructure and connection to Netflix.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-06-29, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

We had new neighbours move in and am suspecting now (thanks for mentioning it) that their WiFi is overpowering mine. Is there a way I can determine their channel so that I can change mine to try?

Hardwiring is not simple due to the location of the tv. Will look in to that further too.

Thanks!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-06-29, 02:12 PM

If you have a smartphone you can download an app which shows the relative strengths of wifi networks. On Android I use Wifi Analyzer.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-06-29, 09:00 PM
Veteran

On this site, for PC, you can download inSSIDer

inSSIDer 3.1.2.1 Download - TechSpot

This is the slightly older version.. doesn't handle AC.. but its free (newer one costs money)

It will read whatever your PC can do
(so if the PC is only 2.4, then will only show 2.4)

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-06-30, 02:07 AM
Veteran

I believe I used wifi stumbler. Changed a channel recently and had a noticeable improvement myself.
3 neighbours show channell 6 with Telus.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-06-30, 08:39 AM
Veteran

That's not surprising.

Usually the best channels to choose, to avoid overlap, are often 1, 6 and 11.

Many ones that have pre-sets in, will often be on 6... leaving many people side by side on the same channel
At least if they had put it on AUTO, might choose something and avoid the overlap.

GDKitty
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-06-30, 03:47 PM
Veteran

Love this discussion. Ever since switching from Rogers to Bell the wifi has been horrible. Part of it is the router is terrible -- very , weak (router is on main floor, left side of the house; desktop is second store bedroom, right side of the house, connection is quite weak). But sometimes, even when I'm on the main floor with my tablet or laptop, it goes beyond terrible. Speeds below 1M (speedtest app) and pings over 1 second. I always wondered if it was something I could change in configuration.

Anyhow, I installed inSSIDer and will keep it running -- next time wifi goes "beyond terrible" I'll see if it can show me something. In the meantime, I have a couple questions:

1. My home wifi network is typically the second strongest, around -53dB, with one of the neighbors coming in at at -52 or slightly better. I'm on channel 11 and theirs is on 6, so I assume that's not a problem. There is another network on 11 but it's around -89dB. That's not enough to cause issues, is it?
2. My HP printer shows up as another network, also on 11, and with a fairly strong signal. This is a printer set up in standalone mode where I can print to it without a controlling PC. Is it actually a separate network, then, an being on the same channel it creates issues? Or is this perfectly normal?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-07-01, 04:26 AM
Veteran

I will make one comment. I was warned by a Shaw person that their wireless routers were not the best, Simple fix add a cheap Belkin or whatever router that will perform better.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-07-01, 11:16 AM

WPR:
1. I echo GZinc's recommendation - seems to be a consensus that Bell's modem's WiFi is not of the greatest
2. Your wifi network's channel 11 is sharing throughput for both the printer and TV (from the sound of it). If your issues are only when printer is functioning, turn it off when not needed.
3. Hard wire is much superior for TV throughput - otherwise see #1

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-07-02, 03:44 PM
Veteran

On the HP printer note..

There are a few things for it...

For a regular setup.. there it should connect to your regular wifi.. and not have any broadcast of its own.
You should be able to print wirelessly from anywhere in your house as long as your on your home network.

If its showing up its own SSID.. its for its eprint or another feature, forget the name.. which allows you to connect to ITS wifi to print to it direct.
Which really isn't needed, if you have your own wireless network there.

Disable the feature.. May remove some issues.

GDKitty
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-07-03, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Just a quick update on Netflix ... turns out where I live the whole area is having issues, not just me. Something with the fibre optics coming in to the area or with the equipment somewhere. Our internet provider finally admitted that there is something wrong with them - after telling everyone to change routers, hard wire, etc - none of that made any difference.

Still not fixed yet but at least I know it is not with me. Thanks for all the advice - love the support from digital home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in