Canadians are ¯stealing¯ U.S. Netflix content: Bell - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Right now there is one show I want to watch on HBO, and that's GoT.
Same with me. Thankfully (as you mention) Shaw cuts the MC/HBO package cost in half (for 3 months) every year right before GoT comes on.

Quote:
I've considered just signing up for one month and watch them all on demand.
I think, if I'm still subscribed to a TV service next year, that is what I am going to do.

Gotta "play the game" if Shaw insists on multiple price increases each year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 11:12 AM
Veteran

I would hope the Bell execs have Netflix as well as Hulu, Amazon TV, Google TV, DirecTV, Dish Network, several proxy services and all the US and UK services denied to us mere mortals. Not having them would make them very short sighted managers. I would hope they also have Shaw, Rogers and every other Canadian service in order to keep track of the competition. They would need them, at least at the office.

That's the problem with our culture and political system. It's too busy telling people what they can do and protecting the status quo while giving themselves all the things they deny others. That stifles free thought, motivation and innovation while cultures that are less restrictive beat us with innovative new ideas that outperform our businesses in the marketplace. By the time engineers reach the corporate research team, they have been protected from so many ideas and prevented from doing so many things that they can't compete with emerging markets like China where new ideas are continuously emerging and being tested. Corporate management teams in Canada also tend to be very narrow minded. It's not so much about how to innovate and create new products as it is protecting existing revenue streams and copying competitors that threaten them.
pwh2112 and GamerGuy like this.
post #78 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 07:39 PM
Veteran

If people are only interested in GoT why not just purchase the season from iTunes or Google Play?

post #79 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 08:20 PM
Veteran

First of all, I didn't realize they were available in Canada. I don't believe that was the case with earlier seasons. Second, the cost is almost prohibitive. A full season is $35 (I could probably get a second-hand BD box set for that much). And checking just now I see that only S4 is available. Didn't ShowCase run older seasons as well? Might as well wait for it to come out there.
post #80 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 08:31 PM
Veteran

Purchasing them, are INSANELY expensive, especially if you are looking in HD.

The bluray seasons are like $40+ each... so like 160+ for 4 seasons..

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #81 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 10:16 PM
Veteran

Renting or PPV does not make sense for HD series. They price each pair of episodes (or disc) the same as a movie. Even on BD, GOT is 4 discs. The best deal, for hardcore fans, may be Amazon.ca at $43.49 a season on BD (suggested retail is $99.99.) As suggested, getting TMN+HBO at half price and watching it on VOD is a good deal. That works out to $24 to $30 over 3 months for all of HBO's current series. That's a lot of good TV for not too much money.
post #82 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-10, 07:55 AM
Veteran

Here's the plan: I wait until True Detective has aired then sign up to HBO for a month or two. Just need to double check that both TD and GoT latest season will be available as VOD.

I really don't understand why they insist on bundling HBO with TMN. Whenever I've had TMN (usually they give you 1-2 months free when you first sign up, so I've had it with both Rogers and Bell) I watched 1-2 films, at most. And that was *before* Netflix.
post #83 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-12, 11:55 AM

Quote:
But isn't that like the head of NBC admitting that he has CBS? Netflix and Crave have different content (or at least that's what I thought).

By the way, Showtime in the US is going directly to the consumer. Those deals the US content owners struck with Bell Media for distribution rights in Canada are not forever and there may be out clauses (very likely they have out clauses). If going direct works for Showtime I could see it working for HBO, too. Right now there is one show I want to watch on HBO, and that's GoT. But I refuse to sign up to The Movie Network @ $25/month to get it. I've considered just signing up for one month and watch them all on demand (have to verify that the latest season is available On Demand first). They usually have a deal where the first two months are half price or something like that.

In any case, I'm sure I'm not the only one who chooses not to get HBO precisely because of the cost/content ratio. Would I subscribe to HBO on its own for $10/month? Probably not as I still have young kids in the house and, let's face it, there isn't a single show on HBO that is kid-friendly.

I really like the Netflix arrangement where I can watch past seasons of shows. Sure, you miss the week-to-week discussions on the message boards, but you also don't have to wait a week between episodes or the dreaded 6-8 months wait between seasons (for some shows). And, yes, that applies to most "Netflix Originals" as well.
Quick Question wprager: How do you access VOD? Is it still the low quality version that is only accessible on a computer (as Bell has still not provided an app for any of the mainstream TV streaming devices as far as I'm aware)?
post #84 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-13, 08:28 AM
Veteran

I'm accessing it on my TV directly via the STB. There's an OnDemand button right on the remote (or you go to channel 1000 or something like that). Since I've never had HBO I have no idea if there is a difference in access but I was assuming it's the same. As for mobile apps, I had the FibeTV app on my tablet (still have, tablet screen is busted) and it worked fine, but a lot of the stations had the Toronto feed, which didn't work very well if I wanted to catch the Sens game (unless it was the national game).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in