Canadians are ¯stealing¯ U.S. Netflix content: Bell - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
There are lots of legitimate consumer uses of VPNs:
  1. Security - so that others can't sniff your traffic while your using wifi in public places like Starbucks, a hotel, an airport, etc.
  2. Access sites while travelling that aren't available in the country where you currently are - like a Canadian using Facebook/Twitter/Google from China.
  3. Accessing services on your home LAN while away, like viewing IP cameras or home automation web services like an irrigation controller, etc.
Those are all very valid reasons, but they aren't many. While not technically illegal in China (yet), China has blocked many VPN providers.

Like already mentioned, the vast majority of people don't use a VPN for the above purposes you posted. Whether or not they should, that's a different discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 03:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
And that is why VPNs can "technically" be illegal if it is not restricted to a corporate environment.
There are many reasons why consumers may want to use a VPN. One example, is when you're using a public WiFi hotspot. A VPN can be used to keep others from snooping. Just set your default route through the tunnel and they won't see anything useful. Also, it's entirely possible to run a VPN through an HTTPS connection. Are those going to be banned too? Say goodbye to secure online banking. People shouldn't lose rights, just because some business doesn't like those rights.

Here's what Michael Geist has to say about this:
kcbrk32 likes this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 03:45 PM

Yes, hiding your true location using VPN's is very sneaky. I've heard that some companies use VPN's to hide the actual location of their Customer Service Reps or other personnel so consumers think the people are located inside the country or servers are local. You know, act local but actually located in India or something.

Here is one company that enables this kind of activity
https://business.bell.ca/shop/enterprise/ip-vpn-service
Blintok, Obed and nerakmacd like this.

post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 03:48 PM

he was speaking about the majority of people who are not as technicality inclined as the people who frequent this site or know anything about VPN or the internet. the majority of people will not use VPN because they don't know or understand VPN and the benefits. you are all making very good points about the legality of VPN but unfortunately you (we) are in the minority
post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 03:56 PM

There was a reason why individual people were given the vote and not corporations ... struggling to remember why that was now?
post #21 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 03:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Here is one company that enables this kind of activity
That service uses MPLS, which keeps traffic isolated and not encryption, which VPNs typically use to keep things secret.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #22 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan View Post
Bell and Rogers should go after Netflix for not enforcing their customer agreement regarding bypassing geoblocking.
How exactly would they go about this? They can't sue them for not enforcing their own rules. That'd be like you suing the grocery store because they allowed people with too many items to use the express checkout. If you're upset, all you can do is ask them to enforce the rules and hope they do.

The people who could go after Netflix are the content rights holders who are losing money. Now, it so happens that Bell and Rogers own the rights to a lot of content, but I suspect they're already keeping everything they can away from Netflix and onto their own competing services. They could try and pressure the companies they license some of that content from to pull it from Netflix in other markets, but I suspect for most of those companies their Netflix deals are worth more than their Canadian rights deals.

So what's their angle?
kcbrk32 likes this.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #23 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 04:38 PM

Netflix do enforce geoblocking, that's why people use VPN's.

The internet was not designed to be geoblocked. Business needs to recognize the new realities.
post #24 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 04:56 PM

Also, fair to say that by her own reasoning, as the responsible account holder of both the internet and Netflix services it was Mary Ann Turcke that was stealing and not her daughter.

Either that, or the whole story is a crock used as a cover for her own hypocrisy before she got a new job with a new mantra no matter how stupid.
post #25 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 04:56 PM
Veteran

The Internet is not geoblocked but the content is. Netflix could go after people who use VPN or DNS to bypass geoblocking like HBO does. Netflix chooses not to, therefore breaking international laws. Bell could go after them for allowing their customers to get access to the content in Canada that Bell or Rogers have exclusive rights to.

Last edited by bev fan; 2015-06-05 at 06:53 PM.
post #26 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 04:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan View Post
Bell and Rogers should go after Netflix for not enforcing their customer agreement regarding bypassing geoblocking. If HBO can do it so could Netflix. The international rules should be followed, otherwise some businesses will be at a disadvantage, where others will profit.
A better option would be to compete. People torrent less now that Netflix is here and they would VPN less if Amazon had it's content here. Shomi currently is bringing some of that missing content from Netflix here so they are STARTING to do their part. Time for Bell to step up their game rather than complaining and pointing fingers.

"There is significant, credible evidence emerging that online piracy is primarily an availability and pricing problem." - Google
post #27 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 05:23 PM
Veteran

I was not talking about competition but about international commercial arrangements, Unless Netflix is exempt from that then it should secure the content that it provides.
If Netflix was allowed to do whatever it wanted it would probably bankrupt every TV provider in English speaking countries.

Last edited by bev fan; 2015-06-05 at 06:47 PM.
post #28 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 06:14 PM

When individual US states regard themselves as exempt from the explicit terms of international treaties, made by the US government, to the point of executing people in violation of international law, you will forgive me for not being sympathetic to your argument.
post #29 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 06:22 PM
Veteran

Well, if you do not know the difference between individual states in the United States and individual countries then I rest my case.
My argument is just a different point of view, based on facts and just looking at a bigger picture, not necessarily reflecting my beliefs and not based like by others on hate for Bell and Rogers.
post #30 of 84 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 06:24 PM

Bevfan, give me a break. I question your posting motives. The reason that the average Canadian hates Bell and its supporters is due to its lobby tactics. Im so tired of protectionism policies. The only solution is real competition in an open market. The idea of global competition has been rammed down our throats and now I need to consider the fear mongering coming from Bell?

I have long suspected that you are paid (directly or indirectly) by Bell and I for one will not subsidize this lobby action. I have long expressed the same message:
Compete or rot.

If I had a choice of comparable content/service offerings from Crave vs Shomi vs Netflix for similar pricing I would pick the one that offers the best experience.
Currently, its Netflix and a VPN is not even a consideration for me personally.

EC
kcbrk32 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in