More Canadians Abandoning Cable & Phone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-07, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

More Canadians Abandoning Cable & Phone

The trend towards streaming services is increasing, with traditional TV service subscription numbers sinking fast. Personally I've been without a landline for 4 years and only have basic cable+sports for the past 2 years. As soon as there are good online sports packages cable will be gone too.

I'm surprised by the lowish numbers for Netflix though, perhaps its the Canadian mentality coming into effect. I find, especially in older & western province folks, a caution when it comes to new/change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-07, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
The trend towards streaming services is increasing, with traditional TV service subscription numbers sinking fast.
Your comments don't line up with what the article says:
Quote:
Convergence Group is estimating that just 2,000 Canadian TV subscribers were added in 2013...
Re: Netflix, the article oversimplifies what the Convergence Group report actually says:
Quote:
...we estimate 458,000 (3.9%) Canadian TV subscribers cut their TV subscriptions 2011-2013 to rely solely on Netflix, Over the Air, Online, etc., 193,000 (1.6%) in 2013 alone. We forecast Canadian TV cord cutter households will reach 665,000 (5.7%) by year-end 2014.
Source: http://www.convergenceonline.com/dow...ontent2014.pdf
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-07, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

A drop from 37000 added in 2012 to 2000 in 2013, with a net loss of 32000 in 2014 is not a case of sinking fast?

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-08, 12:42 AM

So far, it's a case of small increases. If the prediction for the end of 2014 is correct, that will be the first decrease (about a quarter of 1% of the 12 million TV subscribers).
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-08, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

It's a case of a huge drop in number of subscribers being added with that downward trend continuing to a loss of overall subscribers.
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-08, 01:06 PM
Veteran

It does not necessary mean that all customers are switching from traditional tv to subscribe to netflix or other legal content.
It may be that many people are using jailbroken devices or other media players flooding the market to obtain live or other content by illegally streaming .
These devices give access to hundreds of live channels like sports or movies.
All you have to do is check out other forums or even kijiji to notice how popular those little boxes are.
But it could be a short lived experience.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-streaming.ars
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-08, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I see you are still in denial and under the impression that we are part of the USA (while posting an article that is 3 years old). Take time to read the report and you will see the facts, 2000 new subscribers to traditional TV last year with a predicted drop of 32000 this year.

Most people do not stream illegally, they simply pay for Netflix and the other online streaming services available. There are those that use a DNS service, which is legal, to view services not available in this country. There are those that download via torrents, which is illegal and there are those who stream things live via Ustream or other sources, which is also illegal but only if you are the person providing the stream (I understand).
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-08, 02:22 PM
Veteran

Exactly , it is only a prediction so it may be too soon for you to be jumping up and down from joy.

Most people who subscribe to netflix also have tv subscription like you or me so netflix may not be tv killer as some people predict but in my opinion illegal downloads and streaming are.

If you read other forums you would know that many people get those new media players just to cancel tv subscription.
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-08, 02:27 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
brownstar has argued this point extensively in many threads here:

Quote:
Cable TV isn't dead but its very unhealthy and headed for ICU.
Even though:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/mo...174244625.html

Quote:
We forecast Canadian TV cord-cutter households will reach...5.7 per cent, by year-end 2014
Although the market is flat or slowly dropping:

Quote:
"TV is far from dead, . . . " he said. "It's taking a couple of hits, but the revolution is still going to be televised at the end of the day."

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Last edited by 57; 2014-04-08 at 03:06 PM. Reason: hyperbole removed as it was not understood.
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-08, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Where have I ever said that?

Now, I too have Netflix and other streaming options along with a cable subscription and there will be a market for the traditional TV suppliers but the trend is moving away from this model. The report I posted links to shows this and the actual numbers back this up, its not a theory its fact. We should all be jumping up and down with joy that there is a viable alternative that will force the traditional TV suppliers to adapt and become more competitive.

I don't need to know that people by APple TV's, Chromecast's, etc to ditch cable, I know plenty of people who have done just that. I know none that have ditch cable to only run back to it because they failed to adapt their viewing habits.

In the report, not the articles, the prediction is that there will be a net loss of 32000 subscribers this year, to me this year is the tipping point the traditional TV market in Canada starts to contract. I'd happily read other reports that predict a different trend......................

Last edited by 57; 2014-04-08 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Rule Violation
post #11 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-08, 02:42 PM

The fact is, cable/satellite providers in Canada are also the same companies who provide internet.
Most cord cutting solutions involve the use of internet. To nullify this, the companies will simply make their download limits smaller and internet fees higher.
post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-08, 02:44 PM
Veteran

Well , now you know one as I had cancelled cable and few months later subscribed to it again.
In my opinion streaming content using netflix or hulu plus is good addition to cable subscription but there is not enough content for me to go only streaming.

It may never replace traditional tv as subscribing to different services like netflix , hulu plus , live sports and news may end up costing more than paying for cable , providing that those services will be ever available.
post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-08, 02:46 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
Where have I ever said that...?
In the following post (and implicit in the many posts that follow in that thread):

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...45#post2019945

Quote:
Cable TV isn't dead but its very unhealthy and headed for ICU.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-08, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Oh I see, you are assuming that's what I said, very different from my actual statements, what I said is essentially the same as the highly paid analyst........"traditional TV is taking hits but its not dead yet." I never said it would be dead this year, I simply said it was unhealthy and getting in a worse state, would you say a predicted loss of 32000 customers is a healthy situation?

Oh and you should never assume, it makes an ass out of u and me
post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old 2014-04-08, 05:13 PM
Veteran

The main thing stopping me from dropping cable is that I cannot get a subscription to HBO (US or Canada) and similar premium services without subscribing to satellite or cable. Waiting for the DVD release is one option but typically only works for dramatic series and movies. The WAF is also close to zero for dropping cable. We also need a service like HULU+. I don't see that happening in Canada.

There will always be a section of the population who will try to get content without paying for it. They are the people who used hacked satellite receivers a few years ago and use torrents or hacked streaming boxes now. Where there is a means, they will continue. That doesn't mean that most Canadians are abandoning cable though. A lot more did so when satellite TV launched than are doing so now. As long as companies like Rogers keep posting record profits year after year, their doomsday predictions for cable are just self serving FUD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in