PS3 update for HULU PLUS brakes remote functionality - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-21, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
asd

PS3 update for HULU PLUS brakes remote functionality

Yesterday Hulu updated the PS3 app, rendering Logitech remote with Bluetooth adapter useless. The remote still navigates Netflix, Gamecenter, and the PS3 OS as it did before but now one needs the PS3 controller for Hulu. I had to rummage in a drawer to find it and now I'm tethered to a wire that isn't long enough to reach the sofa. Hulu support have no immediate plans to fix the issue, according to their email. I might drop Hulu Plus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-21, 12:57 PM

Which Logitech remote?

Bill
My blog
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-21, 01:13 PM
Veteran

Why do you need to have your PS3 controller plugged in?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-21, 04:22 PM
Veteran

I would get an extension cable for the controller. Can't be more than 5 bux or so on ebay.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-21, 04:28 PM

It's the same issue with the Tunein Radio app...I'm using a Harmony 900 with the ir4ps3 adapter. So to navigate Tunein I need to use the PS3 controller.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-21, 07:31 PM
Veteran

Just updated mine and discovered that Hulu doesn't even work with the PS3 remote, it only works with the game controller...............this is a little sucky
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-22, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
asd

I was surprised HULU customer support says, they have no plans to rectify the remote issue any time soon. When I got the PS3, I bought the Bluetooth adapter so my Logitech 650s would provide navigation. We are used to one remote at each flat screen to run all devices.

My wife and I never play games so the oddity of the controller frustrates us. Moreover, mine wasn't charged when I discovered the HULU update so I had to plug it in. Even charged and untethered it's irritating to scroll HULU.

My wife doesn't mind my toys for streaming because she has become familiar with Logitech remotes to control TVs, soundbars, receivers and set top boxes around the house but a gamer she will never be.

It takes some effort to set up PS3 for HULU and US Netflix in Canada and now I'm not sure it's worth it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-22, 10:51 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Watch for sales on the PS3 remote that looks like a normal remote. You can usually find them for about $20-30. I would certainly have the same frustrations as you.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-22, 01:09 PM
Veteran

The PS3 remote doesn't work with the updated Hulu app!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-25, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
asd

solution from HULU

There is a fix, or at least a workaround, for those who use remotes with HULU: change the channel of your remote to "1." The issue remains for those who want to use game controller on channel 1, though. Moreover, the functionality of the remote changes -- use "x" and "circle" on Logitech remote rather than stop and back buttons, for instance.

For me, the fix is OK, since I never use a controller so using channel 1 for remote is all I need.

It's quite simple to do: 1. Open Hulu Plus App
2. Hold Down the PS button on the blu-ray controller until the menu pops up
3. Go to Controller Settings and press Enter
4. Reassign the Controller to 1
5. Press O to return to the app
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-28, 01:52 PM

Interesting... Tune In Radio seems to have the same problem. Doing what you said asd, only brings some functionality of my remote to Tune In Radio... I still can't navigate the app fully using my remote - only the right arrow button works after re-assigning the remote to 1, whereas with the controller as 1, there is full functionality. Before re-assigning the remote to 1, there was no functionality with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in