help installing BBC iPlayer (UK) on North American PS4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

help installing BBC iPlayer (UK) on North American PS4

I've been enjoying the UK iPlayer through my iPad/AppleTV for the past month or so with the proxy service (unblock us). Question is, I know the BBC has an iPlayer app for both the PlayStation 3 and 4.

In the UK, the BBC says it's really easy to download it to your PS4 according to the following page:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...ames_consoles/

Quote:
How to access on Sony PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4:

Connect your PlayStation console to the internet and sign into the PlayStation Network.
Under TV/Video Services, select 'My channels'.
Select BBC iPlayer to launch the service (You may be prompted to download BBC iPlayer first).
question is, is there any way to FORCE the app on a Canadian PS4? I know back in the old days with the Wii, it was possible to install it on a hacked Wii by installing the wad file manually (I did but I didn't have a proxy to actually allow streaming of the service from Canada). Anyone have any luck installing the iPlayer on a PS3 or PS4 here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-12-14, 06:04 PM

Location: Montreal Videotron(8642,4642), Netflix, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 x2, PS3
On my PS3, I just open a web browser to the following address.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/

Not sure if the PS4 has a built in browser

Wii Code: 0050 5044 3338 1179
gamertag: ratovan
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-12-14, 08:33 PM
Veteran

I have it on my PS3, created a UK account to sign in with. All I needed was a UK address.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-12-15, 08:01 PM
Veteran

Exactly, need to create a UK PSN account and then all the country specific apps appear. Simply pick a UK address at random and it will work as all it is looking for is to regionalise your content (ie. BBC South East, etc).

You do not need to use that PSN account to view iPlayer after creating it, at least you don't on the PS3 and I'm guessing its the same on the PS4
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2014-01-05, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys. I figured it out on the PS4. It's just a slight variation of what brownstar said.

On the PS4, you create a 2nd user on the console and register it with a UK Address and UK PSN store account. Then when you login to your PS4 as that user, under the TV Video section of the menu bar, apps like the BBC iPlayer and Demand 5 appear.

Here's the trick.

Download them while logged on as your UK username on the PS4 console, but then you HAVE to go into the PS4 settings and choose to have the console designated as your "primary console". This allows other users on the system to access your apps.

Then you can log out of your PS4 and relogin as your regular username on the console. Then your Canadian/American apps (Netflix) will appear right alongside the installed UK video services like BBC iPlayer and Demand5. I've been enjoying it all for the last few weeks and the quality is great.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 12:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpish View Post
I've been enjoying the UK iPlayer through my iPad/AppleTV for the past month or so with the proxy service (unblock us). Question is, I know the BBC has an iPlayer app for both the PlayStation 3 and 4.

In the UK, the BBC says it's really easy to download it to your PS4 according to the following page:

question is, is there any way to FORCE the app on a Canadian PS4? I know back in the old days with the Wii, it was possible to install it on a hacked Wii by installing the wad file manually (I did but I didn't have a proxy to actually allow streaming of the service from Canada). Anyone have any luck installing the iPlayer on a PS3 or PS4 here?
Quote:

Quote:
How to access on Sony PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4:

Connect your PlayStation console to the internet and sign into the PlayStation Network.
Under TV/Video Services, select 'My channels'.
Select watch BBC iPlayer to launch the service (You may be prompted to download BBC iPlayer first).
Sorry for bringing up an old topic. Anyone use smart dns for BBC iPlayer on smart TV?
I want to stream it to my TV without VPN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in