Netflix + Unblock-Us = CAN,US and UK content - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-11-27, 01:53 AM

I've been thinking of doing a trial for a VPN service. Some family members just told me they were given some DNS numbers to watch Netflix US and it works for them. (And nobody told me! I'm probably the geekiest person in the family haha)

What I assume is that this is someone else's VPN account and its just being passed around.

Questions I have are:

1) Will this not get shut down if too many people are using it at once?

2) Do any of you share your VPN with friends or family?

If I get my own VPN account, they can kiss my butt!

Thanks

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-11-27, 07:05 AM

Unblock-us is not a VPN service. You tell your media device to use them for DNS, either by configuring the DNS on the device manually or changing your home router to pass out the unblock-us DNS address rather than your ISP's DNS.

When the media device (PC, XBox, PS3, anything really) asks for google.com, unblock-us gives you the normal google.com address. When it asks for a site like netflix.com, it lies to the device and provides the address of an unblock-us server instead of the real netflix.com address. Your device thinks it's talking to netflix but in reality, the traffic is being proxied via an unblock-us server in the part of the world necessary to make the service work (UK for BBC, Canada for CTV, US for Netflix/Hulu, etc). Netflix sees that the traffic is coming to it from somewhere in the US and gives you US content.

The big difference vs. a VPN is that once the streaming starts, most video services will give the device the address of a content delivery network like Akamai to get the video. Your device streams the content directly from the CDN rather than having to proxy through unblock-us. That's why they can afford to provide their service for $4-5/month - they only proxy a small portion of the traffic.

The challenge for paid services like unblock-us and unotelly is that DNS traffic has no authentication mechanism, so when a request to resolve netflix.com comes to them from IP address 1.2.3.4, they have no way to tell from the content of the request if it's from a subscriber. As a result, they record the public IP address of each subscriber and allow or deny the request based on the originator's IP, so if 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of a known subscriber, the request is handled, otherwise it's ignored. If you reset your Internet connection and get a different IP address, your foreign services won't work until you visit unblock-us in a web browser, sign in, and have them make note of your new IP address.

There was a free service doing something similar but they got so overloaded with traffic that they stopped supporting Netflix. That might have been what your family members referred you to; the paid ones shouldn't have worked.
post #63 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-11-28, 03:54 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I kinda knew that's how those services worked, I just got confused on VPN vs DNS.

After searching the numbers that were given to me, it returned Playmotv. So I think it's what you describe. I'll have the last laugh when it stops working for them and they're like "hey any idea what's going on?" Ummmm nope.

I'm probably just going to give unblock-us or unotelly a try. I work too much and have little time for tv anyway. More interested in Netflix us kids shows for my little ones.

Thanks!

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.

post #64 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-02, 04:35 PM

How do you switch back and forth between Netflix US/UK/Canada/Scandinavia etc on Unblock Us? Is it from their website?

Also if I'm connecting my blu-ray player to the DNS from Unblockus and using US as the setting then will my blu-ray player allow me to download American-only apps like Hulu or something which it currently does not display due to being in Canada?
post #65 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-02, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportfreunde View Post
How do you switch back and forth between Netflix US/UK/Canada/Scandinavia etc on Unblock Us? Is it from their website?
Yes, in your account section on the UBUS site there's a box to choose which Netflix you get, I've had mixed levels of success with it so your miles may very.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportfreunde View Post
Also if I'm connecting my blu-ray player to the DNS from Unblockus and using US as the setting then will my blu-ray player allow me to download American-only apps like Hulu or something which it currently does not display due to being in Canada?
This depends on how exactly the apps are being pushed and verified for usage on the blu-ray player.

Example, the boxee has BBC Iplayer app, which, till you begin using UBUS, will not show up in the list of available apps. Drop unblockus and the app disappears.

However, the blu-ray player may not work like this. The allowed apps verification could be based on serial number/model number and the host could verify US models vs. Canadian models. If there is an account, it may be region locked via that.

Only way to know is to try. unblockus has a free week trial, just punch in your email address.
post #66 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-02, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Sportfreunde;1465796]How do you switch back and forth between Netflix US/UK/Canada/Scandinavia etc on Unblock Us? Is it from their website?

Yes on Unblock Us website,in "How to set up".
post #67 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-12, 01:03 PM
Rookie

Thanks for pointing this out. I have a VPN which works great on my Apple TVs and other things ... but not so for the Wii (in spite of trying a variety of setups). I'm eager to see if this solves it for the Wii.
post #68 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-29, 08:54 AM

"Unblockus is just a dns service which gets around the requests to sites requiring location info."

So if a site doesn't require location info, or is located in Canada, does it go through Unblockus (or Unotelly) at all?
post #69 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-29, 10:01 AM
Veteran

Boxee box has a strange issue with the BBC Iplayer, using Unblock-US sometimes the app is there in the list and sometimes its not, kind of a crap shoot whether you see it or not, although Netflix works great, never any issues seeing the U.S. or other regions.
post #70 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-29, 06:39 PM
Rookie

Phillips BluRay Player (Netflix US)

My Phillips Bluray player (BDP3406/F7) has a Netflix button. How do I get US Netflix on it? I know I have to subscribe to unblock.us
Then I think I need to manually enter 5 things in the advanced settings:
current IP address
subnet
gateway
DNS 1
DNS 2

I don't know what any of that means. Why is this so complicated?
post #71 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-30, 01:44 AM
Rookie

Just put these numbers in if you are using Unblock. They have a how to setup on the website for different devices go to http://www.unblock-us.com/how-to-set-up/

Primary DNS 208.122.23.22
Secondary DNS 208.122.23.23
post #72 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-30, 02:32 PM

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/c...w_partial.html

that should help not sure if it has wireless or not but should be the same for a wired conection
post #73 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 12:44 PM

Telus router

I have a Samsung hd tv, on telus optic, with Apple TV hooked up, and have a Netflix account. I would love to access USA content and other countries!

colinpeddle, I hate to ask, as I'm sure you have answered this somewhere..but when I went on the website unblock us, I wasn't sure where I was going to change this dns number. I do recall seeing a dns number while resetting my pvr and router on the tv itself with a telus technician on the phone, they had me put a new number in on a screen on the tv, is that what the dns is and where I am to change this number? Also, does the telus router have a name or is it considered a generic router?

Yes..I am one of those, I need step by step on some of this..
Thanks
Sandra
post #74 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 01:05 PM

Another question, I was just on the site, and noticed it is sooo easy to do this on my iPad. Can I just do it on my iPad and then it will work on my tv through Apple TV?
post #75 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 01:30 PM
Veteran

With Telus Optik TV you are better off changing the DNS on the indvidual devices, so you need to go to the network settings on your TV and change the DBS there.

The Unblock Us website has easy to follow step by step instructions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in