Netflix coming to Canada Fall 2010 (Update: Now Available) - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-23, 05:43 PM
Veteran

So the right terminology here is that they "won't". They can, but they won't. And that translates in poor service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-23, 06:14 PM

I agree
post #93 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-26, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP
Face it, we'll never get good quality internet service like other countries have. We're nearly at the bottom of the list. It is impossible for us to get that level of service so why bother...
Not true. There is good internet. But it depends where you live.
http://productsandservice.bellaliant...net&curbody=21 that is a 25/5 unlimited AND untrottled internet connection! Heck, Internet Max is a 13/1 unlimited and untrottled connection.

post #94 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 02:00 AM
Veteran

Thumbs down

Quote:
I don't think users of streaming services should be worried when using caps around 60GBytes. A conservative average of 1GByte/hour would give you 60 hours/month on a 60GBytes plan.
Add another 60GB for another family member watching different shows, 5-10GB for streaming music (maybe 2-3 times that for several family members), another 5-10GB for Skype or IP phone (or 2-3 times that.) Now you are up to 150GB billed at $2+/GB in excess of 60GB (probably soon to be 50GB.) I don't think it's much of a secret that Bell, Rogers and their closely knit corporate gang is throttling bandwidth and lowering caps in order to restrict competition and create more bandwidth for their own IP offerings. The Netflix announcement and the timing of the latest move by Rogers grossly outlines that fact to all but the densest MP on Parliament Hill. And dense or grossly corrupt they must be if they don't move to stop the stranglehold that Rogers and Bell have on the delivery of entertainment to Canadians in eastern Canada.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #95 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-31, 03:03 PM
Veteran

I have a lot of technology in my house: 5 large screen flat panel HDTVs, 3 HD PVRs, 4 current computers (not including the netbook or iPad), 2 Blu-Ray players, etc. Wifi and hardwired internet connections to all of those locations.

But the problem is still "how am I going to download or stream to my TV?". I don't want to be watching on my computer screens. And my computers are not connected to my primary TVs nor do I want them to be. And when it comes to gaming I only have a Wii which is online but not HD and only connected to one of my TVs.

So while I have a huge array or modern technologies, I still don't have anything that will work for me with Netflix. That's going to be the problem for most consumers. Hence this is probably only going to be a success for consumers with game consoles hooked up to their primary TVs.

Though I must once again credit Microsoft as being the company who saw this issue coming 10 years ago yet failed to deliver. (Along with smartphones for the general public and tablet computers.) History lesson: remember the XBOX program was started as Microsoft's way of realizing Bill's dream of having "a computer in the living room" - disguise it as a game device and then move to the consumers to more basic computer and media functions. However, I guess over time it really did morph into a true game device and bears little resemblance to the PC experience it was started under.
post #96 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-31, 04:17 PM

^ I presume we will use the same means as in the U.S., or at least something very similar. The Roku box e.g. is quite cheap and popular. Check it out on amazon.com for example. There are other brands, plus several BD players that will stream Netflix. It is just "signal", you can distribute the box's output within your house by the usual means while you're streaming.

BDP-83|DV-980H|PS3|CD1|TT-15S1|AVR-3808|4B/9B-SST2|Mag. 1.6|Par. 20/40/CC-690|ACI Titan II LE|Pio 151|Tosh LCD|DB4 (OTA)
post #97 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-31, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Yeah, the vent was just because I have quite a lot of technology, most of it pretty modern (<12 months old), yet I'm going to have to pay $100 for yet another box and another remote if I want the service. I still might do it though.
post #98 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-31, 06:53 PM

Quite a few Blu-Ray players have access to Netflix these days. What models you you have?

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD60 personally which has Netflix access, but I've also built my self a little $400 mini-HTPC which I run Boxee on, which also has a Netflix app.
post #99 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-31, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_Calgary View Post
Yeah, the vent was just because I have quite a lot of technology, most of it pretty modern (<12 months old), yet I'm going to have to pay $100 for yet another box and another remote if I want the service. I still might do it though.
The $100 for the box is the least of it. In this location, I am already paying an IMO outrageous price to get a maximum sustained bitrate that is a fraction of a DVD's, maybe 1/10 that of a medium BD, never mind a really good BD. How much *more* would I be willing to pay to stream way lower than BD quality? I'm sure you'd be surprised that I say ZERO DOLLARS ("they" love that phrase). I didn't buy the decent gear to get lower-quality entertainment SQ/PQ-wise. I know many don't care about quality, immediacy and convenience is of far more concern, and that's what Netflix is all about. As others have mentioned, they are going against Bell and Rogers (out here) providing content, so can expect a litany of underhandedness and law/rule-changing to make it as difficult and expensive as possible. Until "they" offer their own similar service of course.

BDP-83|DV-980H|PS3|CD1|TT-15S1|AVR-3808|4B/9B-SST2|Mag. 1.6|Par. 20/40/CC-690|ACI Titan II LE|Pio 151|Tosh LCD|DB4 (OTA)
post #100 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-08-02, 09:22 PM
Veteran

Good point. I don't want a reduced PQ or SQ - that's for sure. So maybe I'll give Netflix a pass since my Blu-ray players (Sony 550 and 360) don't support it and I'll stick with my zip membership, MovieCentral/HBO, and the occasional Bell PPV.
post #101 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-08-07, 05:30 PM

Question: Netflix and Tivo

Could someone please comment if this announcement will mean that Netflix will now be offered on our Tivos in Canada?

Thanks
post #102 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-08-07, 05:34 PM
Veteran

I think that'd be up to the hardware manufacturers to follow up with this news. There are plenty of other hardwares that have Netflix support in the US, but had that removed for Canada.
post #103 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-08-08, 09:55 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
Could someone please comment if this announcement will mean that Netflix will now be offered on our Tivos in Canada?

Thanks
It could, except that TiVo does not officially support the Series 3/4 models in Canada; the only models which support Netflix. They could also support Youtube, which currently has no geographic rights issues for most content, but for some reason do not.
post #104 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 01:38 PM
Veteran

Searching through their US website, the content available for streaming looks pretty poor. Pretty disappointing actually. Even some older movies I'd be interested in are listed as DVD only. I think I'd need the DVD+streaming combo like the US model to make this worth while to me. As much as I like movies and new technologies, I'm going to have to pass on this unless they maybe get together with or buy out/take over zip. Or if they can offer $4.99 new releases with decent quality (ala AppleTV).
post #105 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 05:06 PM

I think people need to set their expectations and know what to compare with.

You are right, their streaming catalog of around 17,000 titles is nowhere near their DVD catalog of like 100,000 titles. You should really be comparing this service to The Movie Network, a subscription-based service, with older movies than in the theatres. Netflix is not a threat to Pay Per View and does not intend to compete at that level; the movies Netflix will show are usually on DVD, and usually even 1 month after they were released on DVD.

I like that they are constantly adding to their library. Their latest deal is likely going to bring much-needed, valued content to this library. (Epix=Paramount, MGM and Lions Gate)

I'm anxious to see for myself what the selection will be like. The possibility to watch past seasons of TV shows i'm interested in sound nice. Then again, I set my expectation; I would not have access to the latest season episodes, only past seasons episodes.

Tags
netflix , paramount , rogers d/l caps , streaming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in