Netflix coming to Canada Fall 2010 (Update: Now Available) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-20, 10:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
I would love nothing more than to see a battle emerging between net content providers and ISP caps. Something needs to give, but one side needs a strong front to battle the ISPs. I hope the coming of Netflix can spearhead this movement to unshackle consumers.
Given that most of the largest ISPs (Rogers, Bell, Shaw) are also BDUs in cable or satellite they are going to fight like hell to try to strangle these sorts of services.

Think of this from Rogers' perspective - do you want someone to cancel their cable, depriving you of $50-$100/ month in revenue and start using tons more bandwidth on your internet service which could increase your costs. It is a lose-lose proposition for them - less revenue and higher expenses.

And when you consider the fact that CRTC has never really shown the propensity to have any cojones to protect the consumer (at least they haven't in issues like CableCard, active firewire ports, enforcement of CGMS-A flags, etc) then I am not optimistic that this will be a real option for those who watch lots of TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-20, 11:01 PM
Veteran

And yet somehow that ecosystem managed to establish itself in the US. I do expect a vicious battle and I hope that there is one. The tree needs to be shaken. At least BDU's have an unfair fighting chance. Not so for Bell Canada against VoIP.
post #48 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-20, 11:05 PM
Veteran

Do they have monthly caps in the US for their ISPs like we do here in Canada, at least here in Rogers land?

post #49 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-20, 11:06 PM
Veteran

They do, but you're talking about much higher caps than here. I know that Comcast has a 250GB cap. Much more reasonable than 60GB.
post #50 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-21, 11:23 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
Will I be able to download in one location to watch in another? I have a 10GB cap at my house (Bell Rural wireless), but have unlimited at work.
No you cannot. Netflix is a streaming only service.
post #51 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-21, 11:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Yes you can, you are limited to 5 devices
Thanks! Will I be able to DL to something portable like a USB flash drive so I can play back on my PS3 at home? Don't really want to drag the PS3 to work to DL everytime I want a movie.
post #52 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-21, 11:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
Will I be able to download in one location to watch in another? I have a 10GB cap at my house (Bell Rural wireless), but have unlimited at work.
You stream, you don't download. You couldn't, for example, download a movie at work and then watch it at home because you're not getting a file. You could stream the movie and watch it at work, or you could stream the movie and watch it at home.
post #53 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-21, 12:11 PM
Veteran

I hope Netflix can do better with new release movie rentals as opposed to iTunes and PSN (I don't know about Xbox Marketplace). Most brand new releases are usually available for rental only for a quite short period of time. If I decide I want to rent the movie 2 months later, I'm SOL.
post #54 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-21, 01:02 PM
Veteran

Why would they ever remove movies? Wouldn't it be in the best interest of both iTunes, etc, and the studio to leave the movies up as the cost of hard drive space is cheap and any revenue that you would earn is pure profit. Unless the studio is worried that sales through that distribution mechanism will cannibalize sales coming from other forms, like DVD.
post #55 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-21, 01:36 PM
Veteran

That's only for rental. Movies are still available for sale, just not for rental.
post #56 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-21, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
You stream, you don't download. You couldn't, for example, download a movie at work and then watch it at home because you're not getting a file. You could stream the movie and watch it at work, or you could stream the movie and watch it at home.
Yeah this is what I actually meant, you are not limited to one device for streaming.
post #57 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-21, 08:17 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the clarification, Gord.
post #58 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 08:27 AM
Rookie

<Deleted>

Last edited by krinks; 2010-07-22 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Found answer
post #59 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 10:18 AM

Even though I CAN still access BOTH Netflix.com and Netflix.ca from Canada with Google's Chrome browser (but not IE7 or Firefox) and I DON'T use a VPN service, I still prefer to use other websites to see what titles are available for streaming on Netflix.com. Here are the .com ones I use:

1) feedfliks (my favourite)
2) thenowhereman
3) instantwatcher

I only have dial-up and currently use Zip.ca (has Blu-rays) and Cinemail (No Blu-rays) as my DVD-by-mail services (I don't have a Blu-ray player). Cinemail gets many of the US Imports and older titles faster than Zip, but Zip has more titles available overall (even though many of them don't get ordered for many months or years after the last copy goes missing).

Zip.ca is NOT owned by Netflix or Rogers. Zip bills itself as "Canada's Netflix," but that is just to attract attention, much in the same way that I bill myself as one of Celine Dion's chauffeurs. Zip is actually owned by Momentous (Rob Hall) as is Rogers Video Direct which is just a branded white label version of Zip (at least that's what it looks like, anyway). Zip is planning to offer its streaming and downloading service this Fall (just like it's been hoping to do as far back as 2006).

I hate not being able to post links, but according to a marketnews article: Firmware updates will allow the Netflix streaming-enabled devices to work in Canada. It's just a simple "flick of the switch" to enable the service in Canada.

Quotes:

"If they turn the switch on [for Canada], customers will have full access to that library of movies," a representative from Sharp Canada confirmed to Marketnews contributor Frank Lenk earlier this year.

Toshiba Canada's Lindsay Takashima told us a few months ago that Toshiba was "working closely" with providers in the U.S. like Netflix, and was hopeful that something would happen by the Fall. "It's just a question of them working out the distribution rights."

"The difference between Canada and the U.S. in our products," added LG Canada's Frank Lee, "is a firmware update. Even last year's models can be easily brought up to speed as soon as services are available."
post #60 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 11:52 AM

Netflix has announced that before October they will integrate Netflix into the PS3 so a seperate disc will not be required as it is now. That timing should coincide quite nicely with the service launch in Canada.

Tags
netflix , paramount , rogers d/l caps , streaming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in