Netflix coming to Canada Fall 2010 (Update: Now Available) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 01:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcarter View Post
I'm excited for this service to start! Although, I am trying to login to the US site to look at their streamed content but it keeps bringing me back to the Canadian site. Any idea how I can get to the American site?
You would probably need to use a VPN that makes it look like you are coming from a US based IP address. Check out the threads here entitled something like "VPN services that allow Canadians to sue services like Hulu"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 01:05 PM

Just last night I saw a commercial for Netflix on a US channel and was telling my wife what a great deal they had down there. Renting two movies a month from iTunes costs more than what they charge for Netflix.

If they have a good library I may look into it. We are OTA only, so it would be nice to have a great movie selection for relatively cheap.
post #18 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 01:20 PM

to see whats able for streaming, instantwatcher.com

post #19 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhoo View Post
I guess the other question is will Canadian ISP's block it. After all a number of ISP's have their own VOD for which this will be in competition.
I think the ISPs would have a hard time blocking it directly - it would raise all kinds of questions about anti-competitive behaviour.

All they would have to do is introduce low monthly caps on how much you can download and charge outrageous prices for any overage ... OH WAIT! - They've already done that.
post #20 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 01:28 PM
Veteran

What is going to happen to our devices that support Netflix in the US, but had the feature removed in Canada? Like the LG blueray players, PS3, etc? I'm curious if manufacturers will start offering Netflix in Canada as well.

Zip.ca, waiting on your next move.
post #21 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 01:33 PM

Now I'll really get some good use out of that new 250GB HDD in my Xbox.
post #22 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
Is there any info from the CRTC regarding this? Does their rules apply here? I'm assuming zip.ca don't have to carry a certian number of Canadian DVDs v.s. U.S DVDs?
The CRTC doesn't regulate the mail service, so no Cancon rules apply, either to Zip.ca or to a prospective Netflix DVD rental service in Canada. That said, I'm guessing if Netflix wanted to provide their DVD service here, they would either have to (a) ship from their U.S. facilities - which would be cost-prohibitive in terms of shipping fees, not to mention much slower than Zip.ca; or (b) set up their own shipping centres in Canada, which would also be quite expensive (and with Zip.ca already serving the market, perhaps they figure there isn't enough room for them to do DVD rentals profitably as well).

As for what they will be streaming, the CRTC doesn't regulate Internet content either. The only issue to getting the same content available stateside would be getting permission from Canadian broadcasters to carry the series they own broadcast rights to.
post #23 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 02:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
What is going to happen to our devices that support Netflix in the US
The US site will automatically redirect to the Canadian server, in the same way that Netflix.com redirects to Netflix.ca in a browser.

Quote:
The only issue to getting the same content available stateside would be getting permission from Canadian broadcasters to carry the series they own broadcast rights to.
I'm not sure that broadcast rights even apply. This could be considered a rental or have other non-exclusive rights that exclude broadcast rights. VOD rights may apply and those are assigned to BDUs, not broadcasters. The big issue is whether the CRTC will continue to allow Canadian companies to operate BDUs, internet backbones and ISPs in a non-arms length manner and restrict competition, as they now do. CRTC policy restricts such practices but it seems to have lost its will to enforce its own policies when it comes to the likes of Bell and Rogers. Canadian BDUs and broadcasters may also file a petition against Netflix with the CRTC and get a favorable ruling. I hope not but, considering recent history, a protest from Canadian companies is likely.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #24 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 02:06 PM

Smile Great News if you like Movies

I subscribed to the service while wintering in the USA and the movies are 3 months or older and there was a very broad choice.There was no HD or 5.1 sound available 4 months ago.

I suspect that zip ca may be owned by netflix or a majority shareholder???? As a previous post stated Netflix was suppose to start streaming on line. My information was it was suppose to start in June however it does not appear to be on the horizon.

I can not see the crtc getting involved as this is internet and I did not believe they regulated internet and there has been many differing opinions on this point.

If it occurs it is good for people who enjoys movies.
post #25 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 02:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
The US site will automatically redirect to the Canadian server, in the same way that Netflix.com redirects to Netflix.ca in a browser.
You stripped out the last half of my question and didn't answer it.

On another note, Netflix owes a lot of their content to their sweet deal they signed with Starz. I wonder if and how that deal extends to Canada. In any case, Netflix might struggle in 2012 once that deal expires.

I wonder if today's announcement will be closely followed by "Netflix acquires Zip.ca".
post #26 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 02:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
What is going to happen to our devices that support Netflix in the US, but had the feature removed in Canada?
Quote:
You stripped out the last half of my question and didn't answer it.
Oops. If the same hardware is present, a firmware update might restore the Netflix functionality. If there are hardware differences, Canadian purchasers will be SOL. That will depend on the make and model. It wouldn't be the first time that Canadians were burned by crippled hardware from Canadian distributors and I'm sure it won't be that last. That's why I stopped buying proprietary playback hardware and went the HTPC route. It doesn't matter what it is, there is always some new feature that was left out of last years model or the Canadian model (often the same thing) that requires entirely new hardware to get. I've seen thousands of dollars worth of equipment become obsolete in as little as 2 years.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #27 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 02:38 PM

Scott Richards, CEO of Zip.ca, was quoted today as saying their on-line streaming would be ready later this year.
post #28 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 02:41 PM
Wyl

“For $8.99 a month, members can watch and unlimited TV episodes and movies streamed to their TVs and computers”

Is that true? That sounds really, cheap for watching unlimited movies and TV…. do they not have a pay per movie/TV system as well on top of the 9 a month?
post #29 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 02:41 PM
Veteran

Oh my God, that smells like competition. We aren't used to that!
post #30 of 849 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 03:05 PM
Veteran

It sounds like the Netflix and Zip.ca offerings are extended run, after theaters, rental/PPV and premium movie channels. I am glad to see it happen though. It will be a great supplement to OTA and a good replacement for some of the specialty channels on overpriced BDUs.

Tags
netflix , paramount , rogers d/l caps , streaming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in