VPN services to allow Canadians to access sites like Hulu - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-08-22, 02:24 AM
Veteran

clandestinevpn.com

I like this one... they are cash only and have a PO box in Mississauga. I sent them $15 and got an account. It was $15 for one month but it's been like 3 months now and it's still working. I can torrent all I like and it's giving me a US IP's. Hulu works too. Speed is good too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 12:33 PM

No problem getting Hulu. Using Hotspot shield. Setup account today. Hope it contiunues to work
post #48 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-10-02, 04:21 PM

US Billing Address for Canadians?

I just signed up for Witopia VPN service so that I can access Hulu. I'd like to subscribe to Hulu Plus but the site won't let me because my Visa card is billed in Canada. Are there any services that allow you to route payments through a US billing address?

post #49 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-10-02, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Buy a Vanilla Mastercard gift card at a store like Shoppers Drug Mart and use that for your credit card. These cards show up as US domiciled credit cards. If you need a US address just make one up or find one on the net (like 1600 Pennsylvannia Ave NW, Washington DC, 20050)
post #50 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 12:26 AM

Angry Wow, that sucks!

You clearly haven't actually tried this. I just went out and bought a card and netflix instantly recognized it as a prepaid card and rejected it.
post #51 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 03:19 AM

Do you have a PayPal account? For the U.S. Netflix site, after inputting a U.S. address when you sign up....it can be any address....just use PayPal as your payment preference. I used my Canadian PayPal account with no credit card or bank account attached to it, and use a generic email address on it....ie: a Hotmail or GMail address. (I have 2 PayPal accounts). When the time comes, I can send money from my first PayPal account that does have a bank account and credit card attached to it, to the one I used to set up the U.S. Netflix account, so the monthly payment is covered!
Just make sure you are using your VPN service when you do the signing up, and inputting your PayPal payment info on Netflix . com.
I signed up for the Netflix .com trial by doing this. Apparently they don't know/care if you use a Canadian PayPal account to pay them....as long as the money is coming in!
I use PayPal as a payment method for my Canadian and U.S. Netflix accounts!!
post #52 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 10:23 AM

I use OverPlay VPN: https://www.overplay.net/

It costs about $10 per month and has a small client that installs on your system. You run the client, pick which country you want an IP address for (they have access to servers all over the world, so you can access sites that are geographically restricted just about anywhere), and click the connect button - in seconds you have a localized IP address for that country.

I use it to access a lot of US and UK websites that otherwise block content in Canada - very fast and never any issues.
post #53 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 11:54 AM

I've been using StrongVPN and it works well. I can even use it with the ABC app on the iPad. Anyone used a VPN with the US Netflix to get better content?

Last edited by Najeeb; 2010-10-03 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Added iPad reference.
post #54 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I haven't tried this myself with Netflix but I did use this method to setup a US domiciled iTunes account so that I could buy iPad apps since I got an iPad in the US before they were available in Canada and you couldn't access the iPad app store with a Canadian based iTunes account.

If you Google "netflix canada vanilla mastercard" you will find people that have used this method with netflix in the past so perhaps they have changed their systems recently to block prepaid cards.
post #55 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 12:16 PM

I waited too long before I tried the vanilla MasterCard. It is definitely blocked for Netflix even though I used a friend's US address.
post #56 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 03:46 PM

Netflix doesn't accept Paypal (nor does Hulu).
post #57 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 12:17 AM

I signed up on both Netflix .ca and Netflix .com using PayPal. They must have removed the option in the last couple of weeks....which is when I signed up for both. HotSpot Shield works for accessing U.S. Netflix, although not stable all the time. One of the paid VPN services should work much better.
I also have a U.S. iTunes store account. I just purchase U.S. iTunes cards on eBay for purchases. Where there's a will........
post #58 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-10-08, 01:50 PM
Rookie

Please forgive my ignorance with this question, but I have read through this bread and haven't seen the question. Is there a list available that shows what content is available to stream from he us and uk using a VPN?

I like the possiblties, but what do tv stations in the us and uk put up for people to watch online?

Thank you.
post #59 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-10-08, 03:19 PM

Vanilla MasterCards do not work because they have a present balance, you can't continually charge a subscription the that card it eventually runs out of money.

upsider13259: The content varies depending on the network. Your best bet is to head over to NBC, Fox, ABC, CBS, BBC, SKY etc and see what they have to offer. Hulu is owned by NBC and Fox so you might see some duplication there.
post #60 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-10-17, 06:11 PM
Rookie

Talking READ: VPN Authority

I'd recommend using VPN Authority. This is arguably one of the best VPN services out there. I've been using them for a while, and unlike the other guys, they are cheap, no contracts, offer free trials, and are super fast. Anyways, this is my 2 cents and worth considering.

VPN's ROCK!!!!

Tags
streaming video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in