VPN services to allow Canadians to access sites like Hulu - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 426 (permalink) Old 2009-03-05, 11:23 AM

still there are allot of proxies out there.can't block em all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 426 (permalink) Old 2009-03-12, 12:45 PM

Anchorfree.com

Has anyone tried it. They promise to fool any geoblocking.
post #18 of 426 (permalink) Old 2009-03-12, 08:47 PM

Not very helpful

I tried anchorfree. Was only getting around 10 kbps speed. Couldn't watch any videos at all. I was very disappointed by it even though others claim success.

post #19 of 426 (permalink) Old 2009-03-13, 01:53 PM

I suggest Witopia VPN it's priced at $52/yr CDN ($39USD). I have it and it works great - and I was able to access hulu. There personal vpn services can work with most smartphones as well.

Just by wary the servers are located in the US. Therefore you are subject to there privacy laws.
post #20 of 426 (permalink) Old 2009-04-26, 06:05 AM

I can vouch for Witopia VPN as well...
post #21 of 426 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 10:21 AM

Geospoof - pickaproxy

Anyone here familiar with using the pickaproxy website info to geospoof with Firefox in Windows XP?
TIA
Paul
post #22 of 426 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 10:40 AM
Member #1

the site hasn't been updated since last November. I'd be inclined to consider a service like some of the ones listed earlier.

post #23 of 426 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 10:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I do not believe such products are illegal so I don't see a problem but I thought I should ask first.
Why would a VPN be illegal? They have many legitimate uses. For example, I use one to connect to my home network from elsewhere. At work, I have set up VPNs for customers, so they can connect two or more sites via the internet.
post #24 of 426 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 10:51 AM
Member #1

JamesK, I think we have established that its not illegal so we don't need to go there.

This thread is about finding and commenting on VPN and/or proxy services that Canadians could use to get access to things like Hulu.

post #25 of 426 (permalink) Old 2009-07-21, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
the site hasn't been updated since last November. I'd be inclined to consider a service like some of the ones listed earlier.
Huh? See below from their website www.pickaproxy.com

current Tor™ network status: Code Green Ok!
as of 2009-07-21 13:57:28 CEST (+02:00)

Also this service is free, requires NO software, and appears to be legit.
post #26 of 426 (permalink) Old 2009-07-21, 10:09 AM
jfr

I heard that Hulu started to block IP addresses from a lot of VPN services recently... anyone using VPN experienced this recently?
post #27 of 426 (permalink) Old 2009-07-24, 09:22 PM

The TOR network is more meant for 'text' based communication for oppressed peoples or for anonymous truthful blogging without government intervention(AKA, harassment and jail time for writing the truth). TOR has limited bandwidth compared to a Proxy site. but it does fairly well to hide the user.

And people need to read their Canadian Constitution. the 'Freedom of Communication' being the part that is important.

These blockages of other countries websites are done via Canadian TV networks who hold the general 'copyright' to the 'television' distribution of the content in Canada. 'Exclusive deals' are struck in order to stop Canadians from seeing the newest content of the U.S. stations. Since it is cheaper for Canadian stations to buy slightly older programs(comedy and cartoon networks) to air in Canada.

But using a proxy from outside of the U.S. and Canada will also show that many countries are also blocked from the fresh new U.S. programs.
A funny thing about Hulu and TV.com is that when they launched, many, many Canadian news sites put up big stories about them. But forgot to mention that Canadians are censored from seeing the content on them. Just another typical failure in our media of today.

So No Net Neutrality for Canadians. As TV networks tell us what we can see in the form of TV programs, from other countries, on the Internet. And even go as far as to block entire websites with redirects back to Canadian sites.
Even though the Internet is more convenient to see 'New' programs.

And if a Judge rules 'for' censorship? Was he threatened first with demotion if he ruled for the constitution? Since you can't just fire a Judge for ruling against the Government.

Blocking of U.S. TV channels(on cable/satellite) was for Canadian Advertisers revenue protection. But that was ruled illegal.... So now censorship is for 'Heritage Protection'. But that is also still illegal. But no one will fight for our rights and freedoms.

Maybe if Canadians made programs that are worth watching by more than a few thousand people, people might not have to look to the U.S. to see great programs.
post #28 of 426 (permalink) Old 2009-07-24, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate View Post
These blockages of other countries websites are done via Canadian TV networks who hold the general 'copyright' to the 'television' distribution of the content in Canada. 'Exclusive deals' are struck in order to stop Canadians from seeing the newest content of the U.S. stations. Since it is cheaper for Canadian stations to buy slightly older programs(comedy and cartoon networks) to air in Canada.
I don't think that is the case and I think you are giving the Canadian networks too much credit.

These websites are blocked by the website owner, for example NBC, as they only have US distribution rights for the shows. They (or the production company that produced the show) hope to sell the show in foreign markets - presumably they are selling broadcast rights as well as web distribution rights. Allowing people from outside the US to access these sites would decrease the foreign rights fees that the networks or production companies hope to receive.
post #29 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 08:17 PM
Veteran

Hulu (and how you access it)

I'm sure I'm not the only person in Canada who is using Hulu on a regular basis. I love the Hulu desktop application, and after using it for a couple months I'm convinced that this is the future of TV. Maybe not on a HTPC (since the general public won't buy HTPCs) but certainly on some other device like a game console or Google TV.

Anyway, back to my question: how do you like Hulu, and what mechanism/service do you use to access it?

Personally, I'm using the VyprVPN service that comes with my Giganews subscription. The performance is great, streaming a 1mpbs video stream without hiccups!
post #30 of 426 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 08:41 PM

Location: Brampton - 20" Canadian Tire Electrohome Turn Dial TV; BetaMax; 386sx20mhz w/ 256 colours!
I use the Hulu desktop app on a MacMini feeding to my TV over HDMI. I had used Plex for a while but the Hulu feeds kept breaking. Hulu Desktop is great though. I'm surprise it exists actually as Hulu has tried to force people away from any program that bypasses the web portal.

I also recommend Fancast. It is a portal for all Hulu content and other partners as well (e.g. CBS).

XBOX & PS3: ArcAngelMD Wii: When I find a pen

Tags
streaming video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in