Wind Mobile launching in London Ontario next month (now live) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-23, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Wind Mobile launching in London Ontario next month (now live)

In a press release today announcing service in Niagara region, the company said the next planned market expansion will take place next month (December 2011) in London, Ontario.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-23, 12:02 PM

Finally!!!!

Excellent news!

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-23, 01:01 PM

Planned coverage for Barrie, Ontario is also on the Wind official coverage map now too.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-25, 03:36 PM

Good news! This means I'll have Wind Home when I visit my parents during Christmas

BTW You can see the planned London (and Barrie) coverage areas on Wind's coverage map.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-25, 04:52 PM

Wind is definitely the most aggressive new alternative carrier with coverage roll outs. And to think they almost weren't approved to offer service in Canada.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-25, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Does anyone know, are there maps out there that highlight where Wind has bought spectrum? It would be interesting to know where they might be expected to expand coverage into (unless they are fully expanded!)

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-25, 05:27 PM

The government has an interactive map that will show you who holds spectrum in any given area, but it's worse than useless. It's here if you want to take a look. Click on AWS to see the AWS map.

The final results in tables are here.

I can tell you that Wind has AWS spectrum licenses covering all of Canada except Southern Quebec. They 10 MHz of AWS spectrum everywhere but Southern Ontario and the Yukon, where they have 20 MHz, and Northern Ontario and Northern Quebec, where they have 5 MHz.

They also have G-block PCS spectrum (like Public Mobile) in Northern Quebec (in addition to the 5 MHz of AWS), and nothing at all in Southern Quebec.

They're planning on being national everywhere but Quebec, because Videotron ridiculously overpaid to keep everyone else out of Quebec. Next year they plan on launching in Victoria, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, and Halifax. They're building at a much faster rate now because they were previously held up by the court case.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-25, 06:57 PM
Veteran

You can get an idea of (some) of their plans for expansion in the very near future using this lookup (search for globalive and pick an office/region)

This is the listing for microwave links, which they use to feed many antenna sites. So long before a site shows in TAFL, we may get a hint of something through this lookup because they've added microwave service to a given location.

Not every site is listed, but it can give a hint a couple weeks before an area goes live. This and TAFL are used to generate maps like this:
http://www.coveragemapper.com/windmap2.php (the antenna site overlay markers)
and this
http://loxcel.com/celltower

and on the OP.. good to hear.. looks like I may have service if I need to visit the London office for work
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-12-01, 09:31 AM
Rookie

I hope we see WIND in St. John's, Newfoundland someday.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-12-01, 09:45 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP6242 View Post
I hope we see WIND in St. John's, Newfoundland someday.
You will eventually. They have spectrum everywhere except Quebec.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-12-07, 03:30 PM

Official London coverage is now live.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-12-07, 08:05 PM

They are here now. They store at Dundas & Richmond (in the McDonalds Tower) is open and so is Sherwood forest mall.

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-12-09, 01:23 AM

Dumb question, but do their phones work outside of those shaded areas on the maps? In looking at the London map on the news story, it looks like the pink line could be running through my backyard. My wife's Rogers blackberry contract is up on Christmas Day and the Wind ads in the paper have been enticing, but not if she can have service issues outside that zone.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-12-09, 01:41 AM

They have a lot more towers up, but area outside the red is likely to have spotty coverage. You might also end up roaming on Rogers. Best thing to do is to test it first, if you can.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-12-09, 05:32 PM
Veteran

red = official coverage
yellow = coming soon (may already be live and usable, just not shown as official on their map yet)
pink = rogers/away = $$ per use

You can use tools like http://www.coveragemapper.com/windmap2.php
to see what real people are getting in terms of signal strength in given areas.
Provided you have a good phone, you should be fine indoors in any area that has bright green/dark green (no basement likely), and brown or red would likely be outdoor use only.

Based on that, the red is pretty accurate to coverage. But you'll note some roads on the edge of the red are bright green, so should be good for a bit outwards from there.

For example, according to coveragemapper I'm in a dark green block right now. On the main floor I get 2/4 bars, upstairs 3-4 bars. Basement is 0-1 (just barely usable)
(obviously terrain plays a huge role, just an example)

Tags
london , wind mobile , wireless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in