Wind/Mobilicity coverage tools - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2011-09-06, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Wind/Mobilicity coverage tools

Perhaps the question I am asked the most about Wind and Mobilicity is what their coverage is like. Unfortunately, the official coverage maps don't reflect the accurate state of the network in most cases, and most of the time you'll have to pick up a SIM and test it yourself, but here are a few tools to hopefully see if even that's worth your time.

Mobilicity's CEO, Dave Dobbin is active on Twitter. Among the many things he posts is updates whenever a new tower/site goes live. If you want to switch but know coverage is spotty in your area, you might want to consider giving him a follow @DaveDobbin to see if something goes live near you.

Wind has started posting tower updates into an official tumblr, posting an approximate intersection every time a new tower goes live. If you're waiting for updates on your area, you can add it to your RSS feed.

Another useful tool is Coverage Mapper, a Canadian made crowd-sourced mapping tool of real world coverage. Users can install an Android app which (when activated) tracks approximate signal strength of a device along with it's coordinates. The data can then be uploaded anonymously to the maps, which are available here. Maps are also available for every other carrier in the world; as long as someone has tried mapping it. Since almost all Coverage Mapper mapping is done outdoors (typically while driving) any area in which signal strength is not bright green suggests very poor indoor coverage is likely.

Coverage Mapper also has some hidden maps specifically for Wind and Mobilicity, which show approved tower locations. There are two Industry Canada databases for cellular towers: TAFL (Wind map and Mobilicity map) and Spectrum Direct (Wind map and Mobilicity map). The difference between the two databases is not entirely clear, but they show very different results. It's important to note though that many of the towers show on the map are not, and may never be live.

Anybody else have any tips or tricks on how to find out what your cell coverage will be like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2011-09-06, 03:52 PM
Veteran

I found this while researching Mobi:
http://www.cellmapper.net/

What I found is that the reception in my local neighbourhood was possibly average, but real world measurements by myself (albeit for less than one week) indicate reception in my area (15 to 20 ASU) far exceeds the network average (5 to 15 ASU) in other parts of the GTA where I have tested my phone.

However, I'm curious about how old data is handled with these sites. As new towers are added to a network, how would old data get scrubbed from the database? Would it get overwritten, averaged, removed after an expiry date, or some other algorithm? If it is not handled properly, the database could become contaminated with stale data.

cheers.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2011-09-07, 12:18 AM

From the cellmapper region list, select your city for your provider.

http://www.cellmapper.net/regions.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in