Mobilicity back to school promos leak - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-13, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Mobilicity back to school promos leak

Quote:
If you thought the recent Mobilicity “Midnight Madness” event that featured slight handset price drops and a discounted $40/month all-in rate plan was good… think again. We’ve obtained their upcoming back-to-school promos and it’s shocking, seriously unsure how they’re making money on it. These are all starting on August 15th and here’s what the docs says:

Handset price drops:
- Motorola Spice now $99.99 (was $169.99)
- Nexus S now $349.99 (was $499.99)
- HTC Panache now $299.99 (was $499.99)
- Samsung G-Touch now $99.99 (was $139.99)

The $25 Mobilicity plan is their current $25 plan but they’ve added unlimited data to the mix (Unlimited Talk, Text , Data, Mobilicity to Mobilicity Calling and Caller ID, no voice mail). In addition, they offered up the $40 plan again, called it the $40 “Unbeatable Unlimited Plan” and it includes Unlimited Talk, Text, data, Mobilicity to Mobilicity calling, voicemail, North American long distance, and global text. The doc also states that “Existing customers can migrate to both plans”.
From MobileSyrup.

For anyone who is thinking about jumping on Mobilicity, I doubt it'll get any better than this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-13, 05:48 PM

Agree. HTC Panache for $300 + $100 credit in 4 payments. ie free service for 4 months.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-14, 02:21 AM
Veteran

Wow! That's some amazing deals right there. I've been on the fence as I was waiting for a good dual-core smartphone compatible with Mobilicity, but it almost may be worth getting a phone for now so that I can take advantage of the $40 plan. Heck, I could probably go on the $25 plan and just add voicemail.

Hard to believe they'd be making money off this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-14, 09:37 AM
Member #1

Does the buyer have to be a student?

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-14, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

If you're looking for a dual core phone, you could import the T-mobile HTC Sensation. Otherwise history would suggest that the new Nexus device, if it is coming this fall, will have an AWS variant.

I don't know that you would need to be a student, but I bet you can find a third party dealer who wouldn't care either way.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-15, 01:37 PM

Here's the official press release:

Quote:
Mobilicity today introduced the industry's first $25 unlimited talk, text and data plan, as well as steep savings on popular Android smartphones to make going back to school more affordable and enjoyable.

The new student plans underscore Mobilicity's commitment to provide Canadians with a smarter, more affordable way to use wireless.

"With Mobilicity, Canadians can talk, text and use data like a king on a student's budget," said Chief Customer Officer Anthony Booth. "Students can afford to get everything they need from a mobile device and still have enough money to enjoy a rich life on campus all year long."

Mobilicity's Student Plan is a great deal for anyone who wants to stay connected with friends and family without breaking the bank. It offers unlimited local calling, unlimited local text and picture messaging, unlimited data, caller ID and unlimited Mobilicity-to-Mobilicity calling for only $25 a month.

For students looking for the most bang for their buck, the company launched the Ultimate Unlimited Back-to-School Plan, which includes all of its $25 Student Plan features plus unlimited North American long distance, unlimited Canada/US text and picture messaging, unlimited global text messaging, voicemail, call waiting, call forwarding and 3-way calling - all for only $40 a month.

Up to $200 savings on popular Android smartphones
In the spirit of sending students back to school in style, Mobilicity is also offering up to $200 off select handsets, such as high-end Android smartphones, like the Samsung Nexus S and HTC Panache. With these savings, consumers can also purchase a name-brand Android smartphone for under $100.

"Any student can look like a big shot on campus," said Booth. "With savings of up to $200 on incredible Mobilicity smartphones, like the Samsung Nexus S and HTC Panache, buying an Android is well within reach of Canadian students."

The Samsung Nexus S (now $349) combines the latest hardware with the fastest, most powerful version of Android to deliver a responsive and fluid experience all in a uniquely slim profile that fits comfortably in your hand. The HTC Panache (now $299) packs a host of unique features, based on the HTC Sense user interface, which allows users to customize, stream contacts' social network updates and instantly silence the phone ringer with a quick flip.

The Motorola Spice (now $99) is a sleek Android smartphone with its sliding QWERTY keyboard and large multi-touch screen with multi-touch support allowing pinch-to-zoom and fluid flick navigation making it super easy to send messages on the fly. The Samsung G-Touch (now $99) is an outstanding messaging device and features a full touch screen and slide-out QWERTY keyboard making texts messages simple and intuitive.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-16, 11:35 AM

I changed to the $25 BTS plan yesterday. It was painless and took 5 minutes including on hold time.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-23, 02:23 PM
Member #1

We've been talking about getting my son a basic $25 a month wireless plan for when he goes back to school.

Today we were out shopping and went to Mobilicity store. I was going to get him an inexpensive phone and plan but instead he chipped in his birthday money and we upgraded him to a Panache.

At $25 a month, he has unlimited voice, data and text on an Android phone.

In a few months, I am getting off Rogers. I will go with an upstart. Afterwards, I will be able to pay for my son, daughters and my wireless plans for about the same as I currently pay for Rogers.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-23, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

It's a fantastic deal. For that price you couldn't even get unlimited talk and text on the incumbents, not to mention data. If you can get solid service where you need it, it seems like an irresistible deal.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-23, 03:03 PM
Member #1

90% of my kids usage is Etobicoke, then Mississauga then maybe Vaughan and Downtown Toronto so its not an issue. My daughter has had zero issues in the city since she got hers a few months ago (and we all know how I feel about Wind )

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-24, 03:33 PM
Veteran

Compared to the current Wind offering of $29/month this is extremely competitive. The Wind offering is only for one year then it bumps up to $45/month. All I can figure is that this plan has no expiry date.

A few question more questions for those in the know:
  1. Would this plan be eligible for the Family plan discount of $5 per additional phone/month?
  2. Would this plan be eligible for the multi-month prepay plan?

The reason I ask is that my mother is planning to start spending the colder parts of the year near us - currently she lives year round in a remote rural area, but she will essentially be across the street. I would like to set her up with this as a combined home/wireless service for the months she is here in the GTA. I assume if she decides to cancel her service next spring, and then resigns in the following fall, she would be under the constraints of the existing plans at that time.

I'm also thinking of porting Mrs. 99gecko and myself from R assuming the cost of cancelling our existing plans is less than the savings. Mobilicity's 50% off the $40 unlimited internet access makes it interesting as well, though I don't know what kind of speeds one could expect with their data stick.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-24, 03:46 PM
Member #1

I asked the same questions and the answer is no and no.

However, the $25 is no contract and it stays at $25 per month after a year whereas the Wind Mobile goes to $45 after 12 months.

I would check the coverage map for Markham though

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-25, 12:49 PM

For these student, back to school plans, do they care if the student is going to Grade 1 or 3?

If I lived in the city, this might be better than what my wife gets on her 'pay as you go' Telus plan.

P

Panny 47wx52, DMR-e80*C DSR500x2, XBOX 360, Toshiba 26hf84, LG 37LC2D
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-25, 12:50 PM
Member #1

As noted, you don't have to be a student to sign up.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-25, 01:32 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the feedback Hugh.

As for my coverage, I will start a new thread [edit: added to an existing thread for now] about that subject since it seems to be lacking in the forum, and I guess is OT here.

If the $25 plan doesn't work for us, the $40 plan might, since it is important to note that the $25 offering does not include voice-mail (add for $8). That is an important feature as I often have to turn my phone off at work. The other features in the $40 plan (forwarding, 3-way) however don't really apply to our calling habits.

Regardless, our R's family plan ($55 /month shared, no data - with a 15% discount on $35) ended up costing us $112 last month . I have to dig out the past year's bills this weekend and add up the total costs plus what our out-of-home area roaming charges would have been if we were with Mobilicity to do a fair analysis.

thanks again.

Last edited by 99gecko; 2011-08-25 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added comment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in