Mobilicity back to school promos leak - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-25, 01:39 PM
Member #1

My son didn't need VM. As he explained to me in a very condescending 12 year old manner, if someone wants to contact him, they will text him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-25, 03:11 PM

not to get all RFDish.... but any speculation as to getting other carrier's to match this? Probably not likely, but I'm not in an area serviced by the upstarts.....

so sad.

P
With Telus at $65/month, 1gb data plus 5gb 'free', with tethering.....

Panny 47wx52, DMR-e80*C DSR500x2, XBOX 360, Toshiba 26hf84, LG 37LC2D
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-27, 08:36 AM
Veteran

A word of warning. Buyer beware, caveat emptor. Well more like a paragraph:

Apparently the Panache handset is not only locked, it might be unlockable. As I understand it, the handset is an exclusive to Mobilicity (and possibly Videotron in Quebec). If you are dissatisfied with Mobilicity, and have exceeded Mobilicity's guarantee, you may be stuck with a handset that is limited in resale potential.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-08-27, 08:38 AM
Member #1

Petee, big carriers not going to match. They have brought down their rates a bit but as long as they have a 94% marketshare, dropping prices would be an incredibly stupid thing to do on their part.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 02:51 PM
Veteran

I went to my local dealer to try out service with a loaner phone ($50 deposit). Reception was not great at my house - 2/3 bars main floor, and zero to 1 bar in basement. He didn't seem interested in swinging a better deal.

I then called R's, who gave me the run around, so I decided to try out the service using the Panache handset. Got two units and ported numbers from R's, and will see how service is for a few day before deciding on keeping or not. I'm not sure if it is the Panache handset or not, but I have 2 to 3 bars service everywhere in the house now, including a portion of the basement that has concrete walls on 3 &1/2 walls. I'm very relieved.

I got the $40 B2S plan and price on the phones from the Bridlewood mall (Finch/Warden in Scarborough) dealer - Kiosk in the middle of the mall lower level for $250 each but had to buy the SIM cards for $20 extra/each. This is $30 lower (net) than the official advertised Mobi price. If you are in Toronto and considering this deal, be sure to printoff their Kijiji or Craigslist ad from August 28th and bring it with you to get the deal. The only crappy part was the dealer didn't have enough in stock, so I had to buy the actual phone from their main store at Steeles and Markham Rd. The dealer in Bridlewood called to secure the phones and price for me, and I verified that when I arrived. I was a little suspicious at first about having to drive to another dealer to get the phones, but at least it was on the way home.

Still trying to set up my phone (then Mrs 99gecko's). I can still make outgoing calls on both my R and Mobi phones using the same number! When I call my phone number, from my landline, only my R phone rings and it is my R voicemail that picks up, so the port is incomplete - already called R twice, now I have to call Mobi to figure out what is going on.

My R contract is up on Sept 7th, so once I figure if we are keeping mobi as a service, I will have to cancel R's. I think I read I still have to pay for 30 days service even if my contract is up!

cheers.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 03:09 PM
Member #1

Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in