Best Android phone on Alternate Carriers? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Best Android phone on Alternate Carriers?

I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on what the best Android Phone that can be used on an Alternate Carrier is today?

Google Nexus S or something else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 09:40 AM

hard to beat the Nexus S especially if you dont want to unlock / root and change roms.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 10:03 AM
Veteran

+1 my friend has one and uses it with mobilicity on a wicked all in unlimited plan under 50$. 40 I think.

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 10:25 AM

i just took a look. and noticed you can get the optimus 2x with wind. that phone is a generation ahead of the Nexus S

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/l...mus-2x-review/

id got for that considering the price is the same and it has a much more life left in it!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 11:28 AM

I am thinking of getting a T-Mobile LG Optimus T and unlock it to use with Mobi or Wind. I am interested in hearing owner review on Wind or Mobi network.

This is an entry level Android 2.2 phone. I got a LG Optimus One from Koodo 3 weeks ago. Unlocked it and can be use with the big 3. But the Optimus T uses Wind and Mobi frequencies.

My kid is using it outside North America to call home using netTalk over WiFi without any long distance charge. My caller display a area code 305 Miami when my kid called.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

I'm looking beyond entry level and I want a device that can run the latest OS.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 12:43 PM

reading up on the 2x the software lacks greatly.

still better off with the nexus s i think.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 02:41 PM

The Nexus S is the best Android phone on any carrier. Powerful hardware is of little use when you're using old software. Either way the hardware will be dated in a few months, and I've found the performance improvements from one device to another tend to be negated by the performance improvements each major Android release brings.

Not to mention the concerns about security issues not being promptly fixed, or that the next Android release (Ice Cream Sandwich) may bring major improvements and new features, and the Optimus 2X may never see it.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

TorontoColin, anything on the horizon worth waiting for?

I'm thinking of porting over the next time someone has a special promo.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 03:07 PM

There are rumours of a new Nexus device in the fall to coincide with the launch of Ice Cream Sandwich. It might be worth waiting for if you get into late August/early September anyway.

However, while it seems very likely, there are no guarantees it will come with the AWS band, and it likely won't come to Canada until February, so you'll have to drive to the US to get it.

Traditionally, Google has had a partner release a flagship device with a major new Android release (HTC G1 for 1.5, Motorola Droid for 2.0, and Motorola Xoom for 3.0), so we may see a partner device with Ice Cream Sandwich and then a Nexus device a couple of months later. That said, they launched Gingerbread exclusively on the Nexus S, so maybe that's the direction they'll go with Ice Cream Sandwich too.

The only thing I'm really confident about is that if something comes up, you'll have to get it in the US. I'd suggest you plan to go with the Nexus S for now, if you get the deal you want. When you're ready to pull the trigger, check back and see if there's any more substantiated rumours of imminent devices.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 05:03 PM
Veteran

Nexus S.
1) stock android from Google = fastest security and feature updates
(and less bloat - android as it's supposed to be)
2) Decent hardware, includes NFC + FFC

That being said, there is the rumour of the next in the Nexus line coming up ("Nexus Prime"?).
I'd wait to see how that pans out.
Wouldn't want to buy the NS only to have NP be released the next month and make your NS seem inferior
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 05:32 PM
Veteran

The only issue I take with the "wait for Nexus Prime" advice is that the Nexus S was talked about in Q4 2010 and reviewed by tech sites in December 2010.

If you wanted to buy one in Canada, they weren't available until April 2011. That's 5 months.

With that kind of time-to-market track record, I'd suggest not worrying about the Nexus Prime if you want to get your hands on a phone before Christmas.

If it were me I'd get a Nexus S because I prefer "software purity" over incremental hardware improvements. I want stock Android and timely updates from Google. A dual-core processor just doesn't mean much to me if it's running Android 2.2.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 05:40 PM
Veteran

Most people who want the latest and greatest don't wait for Canada to get it
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-12, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

I was in Best Buy today asking if they sold Nexus S unlocked. The guy said the Nexus S was unlocked for every provider.

Koodo is currently selling it for $425. Can you purchase it at Best Buy and then use it on Mobilicity or Wind (who are selling it for $499) provided you buy a SIM card from one of the carriers?

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-07-12, 04:06 PM

I don't think the Nexus S they sell at BB is compatible with WIND/Mobilicity.

Tags
android , smartphone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in