Mobilicity: Two Questions about Roaming and LD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Mobilicity: Two Questions about Roaming and LD

Recently I signed my daughter up for Mobilicity and it works great for her in Toronto but I have have some questions / issues outside of Toronto.

First Question.

We did have an issue last week and I'm trying to figure it out. Last week she went to The Pinery campground with a friend and her parents.

She tried to call from their using her Mobilicity phone but was unable to. I'm trying to figure out where it was because their was not cell coverage there or whether Mobilicity can't roam there. Any idea how I can figure out? My daughter is out of Toronto a week or two a year so I'm trying to understand when she will be able to roam and when she will not be able to roam.

Second Question.

My daughter will be in Calgary next month. If she calls us, will it be Long Distance or is it a Zone to Zone thing? I'm fine with paying the 15 or 20 cents a minute for a few days (rather than buying a LD package) but I am curious.

Thanks in advance
Hugh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 01:12 PM
Veteran

I'm not entirely sure on the first question, but I believe Rogers would need to have a tower there for her to get service (I think Rogers is the roaming provider up here for Mobilicity).

With regards to the second question, long distance charges will apply unless she has the Province or Canada-wide long distance (SOURCE) Note that province-wide long distance always covers the province you live in - not where you are travelling to.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Thanks BGY11.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure on the first question, but I believe Rogers would need to have a tower there for her to get service (I think Rogers is the roaming provider up here for Mobilicity).
So, generally speaking, should she be able to roam anywhere in Canada that Rogers has service?

Quote:
long distance charges will apply unless she has the Province or Canada-wide long distance
That's what I thought. As a follow-up. When she is in Calgary, she can call anywhere in Calgary free of charge correct? Also, when she is in Calgary, she could call another Mobilicity subscriber who is located in Toronto for no charge, correct?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 02:59 PM
Veteran

Hi Hugh. I'm not so sure on the last part as it looked to me like Mobilicity and Wind's plans are very similar. Both roam on Rogers, both have zone to zone coverage. I asked the Wind rep how that works if I travel to Vancouver. He told me when I'm there I can call any number in the Home Zone and it would be treated like I was in Calgary. However, he said that if I phoned a Calgary number it would be treated as long distance. Perhaps Mobilicity is the same in this regard.

Cheers.

Edit: Didn't notice your point about phoning another Mobilicity subscriber in another zone being free. This would flange with my understanding of how zone to zone works. Guess there is only one way to find out Dad!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 03:00 PM
Veteran

Yes, and yes. While I wasn't sure at first if Rogers was the roaming partner, it's the only one that makes sense as Rogers has EDGE coverage (Bell/Telus don't, and Mobilicity's handsets don't support the 3G frequencies the other providers do).

When travelling, the Local Calling Area changes to reflect where you are calling from, but your home province (for province-wide calling) does not.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Thanks BGY11. I have converted my daughter over to Mobilicity and I am considering it as well so the first question answers my question about her plan and the second about me!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 09:24 PM

Roaming should work anywhere Rogers has coverage but Mobilicity does not, as long as there is money in your wallet. Check the phone settings though as it may have roaming blocked. Given that the Pinery is a provincial park though, I'd bet she didn't have service.

The unlimited province wide is confusing, but I believe Nanuuk has it right. I'd confirm that with a Mobi rep though when you're next there. It's easier if you just never leave your province
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 11:09 PM
Veteran

There is only one tower near the pinery camp ground, its a rogers tower and its located on highway 21. if her phone is set to have roaming enabled, ie change from manual network scan to automatic network scan them you might be able to pick it up in there, but because its a park and theres lots of trees, it could also be bad signal too, or no signal in some parts of the park.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

One more question!

I have her device to roam 3G only (to avoid any data roaming charges) so is it also possible that it wasn't 3G there.

She did say that she was in a treed area so its quite possible it was just a lousy area for reception.

I was really just trying to establish that her being with Mobilicity was not the reason for not being able to connect.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 11:35 AM

Mobilicity phones can only roam on Rogers 2G. They don't have the bands required to connect to Rogers 3G. If you're roaming on 3G only, it won't roam at all in Canada.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

hmm, I guess I messed up. I wanted to shut off data roaming and text roaming but leave voice roaming on.

I'll have to dig into her manual to figure it out.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 12:11 PM

I have a Mobi Nokia 8230 for my kid. I changed the APN setting so that it cannot find the server. I added `no` in front of the string in the APN field. When I want to enable the Internet on this phone, all I have to do is delete `no` at the front of the string. Texting still works with the APN change.

APN=Access Point Name
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 02:37 PM

I'm not sure how it works on Blackberrys, but Android phones have two ways to block data roaming. The first is an option in the wireless network settings to disable data. The second is an option in a hidden menu which allows you to set the data to only work on WCDMA (aka 3G), which prevents data from being sent over Rogers' 2G network.

Check your Mobile Network settings on the Blackberry and see if there's something similar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in