Wind Experience: Calgary - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How would you rate your Wind Mobile experience in Calgary?
Extremely Satisfied 4 100.00%
Moderately Satisfied 0 0%
Moderately Dissatisfied 0 0%
Extremely Dissatisfied 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-06-29, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Wind Experience: Calgary

I was with Wind for the first 8 months of last year. The coverage, here in Calgary, was not overly that great at the start. But after about 3 months, my service improved drastically. My last 5 months of service the coverage was excellent. In fact my wife had more problems with Rogers. I travel all over the NW, NE, and parts of the SW and SE areas of Calgary, and I never had problems with coverage or voice quality. I would still be with Wind if it wasn't for me wanting an iPhone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-06-29, 10:27 AM
Member #1

Split this from this Toronto Wind Mobile thread.

makes sense to have a separate thread for each city since experiences could be much different by city.

If you are new to Wind, be sure to check out the thread above or search the forum for more threads about Wind Mobile.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-07-07, 01:40 PM

My wife is on wind and it's pretty good everywhere except around our house. We live in signal hill and reception cycles from wind home to wind away constantly.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-07-09, 08:00 PM
Veteran

Just purchased a new LG Optimus 2X smart phone (our first) from Wind and ported our service from Rogers. We were in and out of the McLeod Trail store in about an hour (would have been shorter, but we asked a lot of questions). We spoke with a very knowledgeable young man who answered all our questions and more. He didn't push one phone over another and asked us about our requirements. In the end, we chose the LG over the Nexus S and signed up for Wind's Smart Voice Plan ($25) with unlimited everything in your home zone and a data add-on (unlimited for $10).

The number was ported over night. After the port, we ran into our first problem in that the data option was not working. So, I phoned Wind's CSR who gave me step by step instructions to remove the battery, SIM card, and reboot procedure. Didn't work, so I called back a second time. The CSR created a problem ticket and immediately put me on to the second level Tech support. Both were very helpful and understanding that I was a smartphone neophyte. The Tech got me up and running in no time.

Haven't really had the chance to use the phone much so far, but the calls I've made so far are quite clear. Surfing the internet or using other data has been very quick in my area (Lake Bonavista).

Why did we switch? Value. I've checked out a number of other providers including Rogers (they are not competing right now) and determined that despite the fact that Wind is a start up, they were the best option for us.

I'll post again should my initial thoughts are proven incorrect.

Cheers.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 11:42 AM

I have two questions:

1. Can anyone tell what the reception is like in the Panorama Hills Area (and in the NW in general)? I'm with Mobilicity right now and I cannot get a reception in over half the region (Panorama Hills). Only near the Superstore is there any reception.

2. For Wind, Is there any promotion in Calgary for porting a number over or just signing up with Wind?

Thanks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamus View Post
I have two questions:

1. Can anyone tell what the reception is like in the Panorama Hills Area (and in the NW in general)? I'm with Mobilicity right now and I cannot get a reception in over half the region (Panorama Hills). Only near the Superstore is there any reception.
I live in Panorama Hills and when I was with Wind their coverage was excellent. I would get 4 bars in my basement. I believe the tower besides the First Calgary bank, near Superstore, is a Wind tower. Ever since that tower went up, my service was excellent throughout Panorama Hills. I went around most areas of the NW and never had any problems.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 05:34 PM
Veteran

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Wind is attached cell re-transmitters on city street lights. I am not sure if other companies are doing this. While we've only travelled in the SE and SW coverage has been great, although I've lost the network twice. Not sure if that was an error on our part (this is our first smart phone) or a problem on Wind's. Call quality has been fantastic though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in