Wind Mobile gains more subs than Bell, Rogers or Telus in first quarter - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-13, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Wind Mobile gains more subs than Bell, Rogers or Telus in first quarter

Wind Gained 39,000 subs in Q1. Rogers Wireless gained 35,000 new wireless customers, Bell Mobility gained 5,292 subscribers and Telus Mobility gained 32,000 customers.

Read more

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-13, 12:07 PM
Veteran

That really is quite impressive given that Wind is only in a handful of cities. Nice to see some competition in the industry.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-13, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

If you dig deeper, however, the totals are net. The Big Three gains were severely offset by big losses in pre-paid customers.

Bell said these were the pre-paying customers who typically paid more.

If true, it suggests that Wind is just picking up former pre-pay customers and suggests the strong growth won't continue. ON the other hand, you could argue that its only pre-pays because all the post paids are locked into contracts.

The next four quarters should be interesting to see which side is correct.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-13, 12:13 PM
Veteran

Guess it goes to show that Canadians are getting tired of paying an arm and a leg for wireless service. As rsambuca stated it's even more surprising since Wind isn't available everywhere.

The Bell numbers are horrible though. Wow.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-13, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Again digging deeper shows it isn't that bad for Bell. Bell gained about 80,000 postpaid and lost 75,000 prepaid. Since postpaid spend about 4x what prepaid customers pay, Bell didn't do that bad. If you look at Telus and Rogers there prepaids weren't bad so the overall number looks much better than it is.

Again its how you want to slice and dice the numbers.

I think its fair to say that the New providers are making a dent though.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-13, 02:04 PM
Veteran

Good point Hugh. I had made my original comment before seeing your post about breaking things down into prepaid vs pro-paid.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-14, 07:19 PM
Veteran

Was just down speaking to Wind today. I'm mulling over switching to them from Rogers and get my first smart phone with unlimited everything for $35/month. Whats holding me back is the coverage areas and whether they'll be in business that long. I suspect that once consumers become more convinced that Wind (or Mobilicity) are in for the long haul, the sub numbers for the big three will start to drop dramatically. We are a very price conscious society where we will cross the street to save a cent per litre on gas. I believe this behaviour will translate to wireless.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-14, 09:15 PM
Veteran

Hey Nanuuk, did the Wind rep have any idea how long the Unlimited 35 plan would be available for? I am trying to convince my wife to join, but we have to crunch the numbers as there are quite a few months left on her Telus contract.

I have been happy with Wind service here in Calgary, BTW.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-15, 09:57 AM
Veteran

rsambuca. he said we'd be grandfathered for as long as we were with Wind. However, if we changed plans or left Wind and then came back or did not keep a timely payment history, we would lose the plan. Truthfully i'm more impulsive than my wife and would have jumped on it. My wife wants a few days to think it over. But for unlimited talk, text, and data (tethering included) while in a wind zone to me its a no brainer. The talk rate is 25c per minute outside of a Wind zone which is the standard Rogers rate (Wind uses the Rogers network in Away zones).
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-15, 11:48 AM
Digital Sage

Wind had some good success with the Holiday Miracle Plan. $40 / month for unlimited everything which also included data tethering.

Comes in handy if you have a tablet or netbook with you.

I'm curious if they will offer it again this xmas
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-15, 01:25 PM
Veteran

I agree with Hugh that the growth probably can't continue at this rate for Wind, but I disagree with your spin. You can 'slice and dice' it all you want, but anytime a business only gains 15% of what their competitors did, it is not a good thing.

Nanuuk, yeah, I am aware of the details of the plan since I am on it! Actually, what I was asking is if they gave any indication of how long it would be available for new customers. Rumour is til the end of May, but no one I talked to seemed to know for sure.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-15, 05:54 PM
Veteran

Hi. No they didn't indicate when the promotion would end. Sorry, I misunderstood. But since you're on it how do you like it? I'll show the Mrs.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-15, 06:10 PM
Veteran

I have been very happy with the service and quality. The coverage has been good enough for me, although there are a few weak signal spots on the fringes of the city - check out coveragemapper for peoples' real life usage.

If it wasn't for the fact that she has 2 years left on her current contract, she would join as well.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-15, 10:37 PM
Rookie

while the big three will say they're losing the customers they made the least amount of money on, it's more important to see what plans those customers are choosing when they switch to wind/mobi/public.

i was on fido for about 10 years, pay as you go, typically grabbing $20 top ups.

i switched to WIND last year, $45/month prepaid plan.

is there any info indicating which plans are most popular at the start-ups?

and i expect the blood to really start spilling when the new entrants have the QoS that rivals the inumbents - hello commercial accounts.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-05-16, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

I'm not sure that wind will have a lot of success with commercial accounts (at least mid to larger size commercial accounts) simply because they don't have the coverage.

Any sizable company likely operates in multiple cities and likely has offices and/or stores outside Winds coverage area.

The high spending PayGO customers were the low hanging fruit and I think the Big Three knew they were going to lose a lot of them to the upstarts.

I'm sure the upstarts can scoop up another 500,000 or so of them in the next couple of years

Tags
bell mobility , mobilicity , rogers wireless , telus mobility , wind mobile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in