Court quashes Tory cabinet’s Globalive decision (overturned) - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlurker View Post

AFAIK, the spectrum auction is under the RadioCommunications Act, and regulated by IC.
Yup, spectrum auction is under a different Act as you state. The Radiocommunication Act was referenced in the CRTC ruling (as background info) with respect to the spectrum purchase and is a separate, though obviously related, issue to actually obtaining the license to actually operate a mobile carrier on that spectrum (Telecom Act).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 12:26 PM

"A judge has struck down the Harper cabinetís 2009 decision to overrule the CRTC and instead let a cell carrier with Egyptian ties operate in Canada.

this should read .. to be fair

"A Paul Martin appointed judge has struck down the Harper cabinetís 2009 decision to overrule the CRTC and instead let a cell carrier with Egyptian ties operate in Canada."

then who cares who ownes the company !
unless you have a vested interest right hugh ?

Seems to me the local companies charge me the highest rates in the world for service that is just average------
and the other companies are my firends

convince me otherwise ---------
post #93 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 01:37 PM
Member #1

Geostar, are you accusing me of something?

Those quotes are not mine, they come from a news article.

post #94 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 01:15 PM
Veteran

Question

Unless they can prove "ties" with some "Terrorists group" I don't see why any company(in this case communications) be from another country be able to operate in Canada.If it means cheaper prices for the consumer why not.
post #95 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 10:14 PM
U

MCIBUS, that would be a bit shortsighted IMHO... Having a company operate from Canada means benefits to the country. I don't want some foreign interest coming here setting up a network with a skeleton staff just to see all the benefits and profits going out of the country. Not just for the sake of paying a few dollars less per month. Let's not forget that the big players in Canada still employ large amounts of Canadians (not at the help desk though), some in high paying jobs too.

Now, I'm not at all saying that what we have now is perfect, I would also like to see more competition, but it has to be done the right way. Certainly not by circumventing our laws.
post #96 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-03-12, 10:51 AM
Veteran

Question

Well the same could be said for retail; then Walmart. goods made in China not North America?

Then why do we allow "foreign Interests" in other 'Fields', If your going allow foreign interests in one aspect of the Canadian Business then allow in all fields.

GM
Ford
Toyota
Honda
etc
even though they have Canadian subsidiaries the parent Company is in the US

Home Depot
Loews
Walmart
Hudson's Bay(its now owned by US interests)
though they have Canadian outlets the parent companies are US based.

Same with the oil industry.

The point is if they can sell the product or service cheaper then Canadian based companies then they should be allowed in.

As for the Terriest comment that was only referring to if the company had ties to such organizations.
post #97 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-03-12, 03:39 PM
U

Come on all these manufacturers sell goods, a lot of them made right here in Canada (cars for example). A cell company sells airtime, nothing tangible, nothing made here. Rules are and should be different.
post #98 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-03-12, 06:30 PM
Veteran

Wink

Hey no biggie thats your view, and thats fine with me, your in tittled to your own opion, I don't necessarily agree with you but no prob cuz where're all in tittled to our views on the subject.
post #99 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-03-12, 06:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by U View Post
Come on all these manufacturers sell goods, a lot of them made right here in Canada (cars for example). A cell company sells airtime, nothing tangible, nothing made here. Rules are and should be different.
Really?
What about the thousands of Canadians employed by the company?
And the lovely tax our government skims off the top?

To say nothing benefits our country is a stretch..
post #100 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-03-13, 11:38 PM
U

Quote:
Originally Posted by recneps77 View Post
Really?
What about the thousands of Canadians employed by the company?
And the lovely tax our government skims off the top?

To say nothing benefits our country is a stretch..
Well I never said "nothing" benefits the country. In theory, a company could come here, build towers and hire a contractor to do the maintenance and have some sales staff in country as well. That's what I referred to as a "skeleton staff". It could be a few thousands as you said.

However, the engineering & design, accounting, operations, support, research and development etc. could be all done outside of Canada. Rogers, Bell, Telus, Videotron etc. all do these (some high paying) functions in Canada and employ tens of thousands of people. To me that's the big picture that we shouldn't lose sight of for the sake a saving a few dollars even though I do agree that we need to relax our rules to allow more competition. Relaxing the rules does not equal circumventing the law, not in my book.

Personally, I always make an effort to buy stuff that is made here, even if sometimes it costs a bit more. Sometimes it's just not possible, but I do what I can. I realize that for some people all that counts is price with no regards to where/how a product or service is made or delivered. To each their own.
post #101 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-05-18, 12:33 PM
Member #1

Wind Mobile ownership appeals in Federal Court

Wind Mobile and the federal government are appealing a decision that cabinet overstepped its authority when it let the Toronto telecom company go into business in December 2009 after the national regulator had already ruled it wasn't Canadian owned.

Quote:
Telecom lawyer Lorne Abugov said the CRTC and Industry Canada along with the federal cabinet reached two "diametrically different" conclusions under essentially the same ownership and control laws.

"Purely from a structural point of view, it seems to be needless double jeopardy," said Abugov, who's based in Ottawa.

post #102 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-05-18, 02:50 PM

I would imagine with their new majority the government will likely step in and make the necessary changes to allow Wind to operate despite the court's ruling.
post #103 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-05-18, 03:43 PM
Member #1

TorontoColin, from what I understand, the necessary changes would require the conservatives change the laws surrounding foreign ownership of Telcos. If the feds tried to do that, I think you`d have a huge uproar across the country.

post #104 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-05-18, 09:58 PM
Veteran

Where would the uproar come from? Surely not the consumer.
post #105 of 124 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 01:34 AM

Oh, there would be a roar alright, and maybe even a loud one BUT from a small crowd, mostly within the NDP opposition in Parliament.

Tags
globalive , wind , wind mobile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in