Mobilicity Experience & Network Coverage - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 01:34 AM

There are no extra charges with Mobilicity. Just the plan cost and tax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-04-29, 08:28 PM

Mobilicity coverage problems

I jumped on to the Mobilicity bandwagon late December last year.

Initially I purchased an HTC Snap, which I returned due to very poor reception in my home.

On the recommendation of the sales person, I got a Nokia 5230 which until about two weeks ago has been getting 2-3 bars of reception at home, with an occasional dip to one bar - but I did not have any problems making calls or receiving them.

In January I got a Sony-Erikson flip phone for my wife, with another Mobilicity account. Her reception here was not great, but worked until about a month ago, and since then has been basically non-existant. I initially figured she got a lemon phone, and when we have time, we will go to their store and try to get warranty service on the phone.

BUT

Early this week, I lost all signal to my phone.

Please note, I am in Langley, within their Mobilicity coverage zone.

I called Mobilicity, spoke to a pleasant lady, to whom I explained the situation - but who was unable to do anything other than send a refresh to my phone and suggest that I go to their store for them to check out my (and my wife's) phones.

Neither phone has ever been dropped, and neither has gotten wet.

Today, I again don't have any cell service.

Oh sure, if I go to GSM (instead of UMTS) and allow roaming, I get a booming 5 bar signal - but the idea with an unlimited plan is NOT to be charged per minute!!!

My best guess is that since it is spring, there is multipath interference from the trees growing leaves between here and the tower, and I probably don't have a clear LOS between my home and their tower.

Does anyone know how I can get past level 1 tech support so someone can go and check out their cell tower?

The cell site is out of whack, or it is multipath... and their customer support basically says "go to the store, we can't do anything else".

Any suggestions?
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-06-30, 08:16 AM
Member #1

Earlier this year after I had my problems with Wind Mobile, I was contacted by Mobilicity who gave me an opportunity to spend a month with their service. The four weeks I spent with the Mobile service were uneventful. I used the device from Burlington on the West, Downtown Toronto on the West and Vaughan on the North. Never had a problem with voice calls or texting.

Fast forward to last week when Mobilicity had their Break Your Wireless Contract Day when I bought a new device for my daughter. Set up was easy but we had one problem, she could not send or receive text.

I called Mobilicity and was talking to a friendly competent well spoken rep who instructed me to take the battery out of the phone then he would resend a signal to the phone. He then told me to wait ten minutes and re-install the battery. Apparently the problem is not uncommon with new ports.

I did as instructed and everything worked well.

In the last few days, my daughter has used the device extensively for voice and text without any issues (as it should be).

I am also quite pleased by the MY WALLET, ROAMING and out of zone policy of Mobilicity. Simply speaking if you are out of the Mobilicity zone, you can't make calls or text without having money in your wallet. If you are in your zone, you can't make LD without money in your wallet. This is great as it insures my daughter won't "accidentally" run up some large bills.

So far, I'm very pleased with Mobilicity and am thinking about getting my son signed up.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-07-01, 05:30 PM
Rookie

Hugh, you mentioned using Mobilicity in Burlington. They have no towers in Burlington so I am curious to know how you got it work. Were you roaming on the Rogers network?
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-07-04, 03:12 PM
gmd

Just read Hugh's review of Moblicity.

Few things for people in Ottawa:
- coverage does not cover the whole city (limited coverage). You can drive 5 minutes from downtown and be out of their coverage area.
- calling area and coverage area likely don't match at all (many surrounding towns are local calls from Ottawa)

Hard to compare coverage in GTA to Ottawa (there's no GOA!). Moblicity is great for inner-city people.

They have some huge highway ads (e.g. 174 at Trim Rd in the East end) that are outside their coverage area.

-gmd

SC: 8-Feb-02>21-Jul-09 (TFO) | EVu: 23-Jan to 03-Feb-07, back 20-Jun-09
Bell, French packages, pls! Long live OTA!
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-07-04, 03:30 PM
Member #1

Quote:
They have no towers in Burlington so I am curious to know how you got it work. Were you roaming on the Rogers network?
Actually it was near Burlington. My daughter was calling me as we were trying to gauge where it actually cut off. The wording was a little imprecise. Probably should have been conservative and simply said Oakville. Sorry about that.

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-08-25, 01:44 PM
Veteran

GTA - Coverage in NE Markham, ON

Posting here even though I don't have experience with Mobilicity and their coverage - if it should be in it's own thread please feel free to move this post.

I am near Highway 7 and between Markham road and McCowan. I am curious if any other Mobilicity users have experience in that general area, as well as east Scarborough, and North York.

According to Mobilicity's coverage map, we are in the pink zone (home coverage). This third-party, interactive coverage map, shows a tower to to the NE of me, but covers an area to the NE. It looks like coverage at my house would be by a much further tower. I am not positive on the colour coding scheme used in the map - I assume that each of those pixels represent an individual reception measurement.

Hope others find this tool as useful as I did.

cheers.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-08-27, 08:14 PM

Take a look at the Mobilicity tower map too.
http://www.cellmapper.net/map.php?MC...320&LAC=1,3,51

You can get a Mobilicity loaner phone and test it before subscribing to their service. Take a real test.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-08-27, 08:27 PM

ftaseeker,

Dave Dobbin, CEO of Mobilicity, is on Twitters almost everyday. Twitt him a message if you still have problem with your phone. Most of the time, he ask subscriber to email him at about the problem details and he will look into the problem for you. His email address can be obtain from some of his Twitter posts.

https://twitter.com/#!/davedobbin
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-08-27, 08:47 PM

I find that the CEO of Mobilicity manages this company proactively. He is on Twitter chatting to their subscriber.

The past Wednesday, Aug 24th, the fibre optic provider for Mobilicity back bone across Canada had a fibre cut. As a result all subscribers in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver lost the phone service for a few hours. He twitted the problem.

Later that night, he twitted to give all western customers wallet credit or 3 months of voice mail service. Since the problem is not originated from Mobilicity, he took the responsibility and compensate their subscribers in Western Canada. Please phone Mobilicity care to get your credit or VM if you have not done so.

He also put out message on Twitter about any new tower which is put into service.

Yesterday, he twitted
Quote:
New tower up at Finch & Islington in North York today - coverage in Thistletown and Humber Summit just got better.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-08-29, 07:37 PM

That sounds like outstanding customer service!

While I'm happy with the service I get from WIND, and obviously happy with WIND's coverage area, I hope that mobilicity expands their coverage outside the south-central GTA they're currently limited to. Competition is good.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-08-29, 08:14 PM

Mobilicity is not expanding at the moment and concentrating their efforts in eliminating dead zone.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-08-30, 10:02 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturyBreak View Post
That sounds like outstanding customer service!

While I'm happy with the service I get from WIND, and obviously happy with WIND's coverage area, I hope that mobilicity expands their coverage outside the south-central GTA they're currently limited to. Competition is good.
Actually, as a potential Mobi customer, I'm concerned about the "customer service" Dave Dobbins provides. In fact, I might go so far as describing it as Micro-managing. It might work okay for a company with less than 50K customers, but if they ever hit the 1M mark, it would be a nightmare. I see it in workplaces all the time, and the people doing it, tend to be control freaks, and have no faith in their employees.

I'm not saying this is absolutely the case here: perhaps Dave Dobbins is just trying to leverage his reputation to attract customers in a well devised marketing plan. I'm just saying that I'm concerned about the practice.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-08-30, 10:07 AM
Member #1

My sons phone had a problem this weekend where we couldn't get data. We called and within ten minutes had things working again. Great service.

The problem was the Mobile settings got messed up. Don't know how but once the settings were correct, everything was Ok.

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 2011-08-30, 11:09 AM
Veteran

Was that 10 minutes of direct talk with the CS, or total time of the call? That is, were you on hold for any length of time before the 10 minutes?

My question is based on the fact that a call to Rogers CS can take a very, very, long time, most of which is spent on hold. It annoys me immensely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in