Wind launching in Vancouver on Thursday - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-05-31, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Wind launching in Vancouver on Thursday

Wind Mobile has announced it will be launching mobile phone service in the Vancouver market this Thursday June 3rd.

Vancouver is the fifth city that Wind will be offering service in. The company now offers wireless phone service in Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-05-31, 01:47 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I'm going in there with my Nokia N900 phone asap - goodbye Rogers! Wind's website says they're located in Yaletown at 116 Davie St. on Thursday. A commenter mentioned a Wind Mobile kiosk in a Blockbuster store in North Van, so I'll check if one of the Blockbusters nearby has one instead of going all the way downtown.

I just found out a couple of days ago that I guy I used to work with is a technician on their Vancouver implementation team, so I could have been getting great info all along if only I'd known!

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-05-31, 04:02 PM

Can't wait until they come to Halifax/St. John's (if ever)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-06-01, 09:43 PM

I don't know anything about Vancouver geography, but I know these Blockbusters will have Wind kiosks:

4191 Hastings St., Burnaby
5900 Kingsway, Burnaby
700 6th Street, New Westminster
1905 Lonsdale Avenue, North Vancouver
2929 Main Street, Vancouver
6580 Fraser Street, Vancouver
5485 West Blvd., Vancouver

Also, rumour is next up will be build-outs to Kitchener-Waterloo, Niagara (supposedly they've already hit Grimsby), London, Barrie, and Peterborough in Ontario; Victoria and Abbotsford in BC; and Winnipeg as the next launch city. No word on east coast coverage yet.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-06-03, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

In addition to Blockbsuter instore they have three WIND Mobile retail locations in Vancouver:

- Yaletown (116 Davie St.)
- Kitsilano (2228 West 4th Ave.)
- Park Royal Shopping Centre

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-06-04, 12:23 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Unhappy No Suburban Coverage on Launch Day

Apart from the CIty of Vancouver and select parts of North Van, Burnaby, and New West, the suburbs are without Wind coverage as of launch day. That is a lot of potential customers who are not able to join yet. It seems like a no-brainer that they'd want to get up and running all over the Lower Mainland ASAP!

As for points east of Surrey and PoCo, they are talking about building out Abbotsford in the future but nowhere else up the Fraser Valley from what I can tell.

Oh well, now I have to hurry up and wait!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-06-04, 02:33 PM

So I can't get any coverage in Coquitlam yet? Jeez, how long am I going to have to wait? Will they have it up and running here before their promotion ends, at the very least?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-06-04, 02:46 PM

I'm not familiar with Vancouver geography, but I've heard reports that Wind signal is working in various areas outside the home zone. If you can, try scanning in your area and see what you get. Supposedly they have active towers outside the home zone that they're just not satisfied with yet.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-06-04, 05:16 PM

I put in the data lines for a Wind site in Surrey (KGH/40th Ave) a couple of weeks ago. First cell tower I've seen on a wood pole... I don't know if the site's going, but they're working on it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-06-07, 11:09 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

CTV Vancouver story on Wind Mobile launch

Quote:
By: ctvbc.ca
Date: Thursday Jun. 3, 2010 3:00 PM PT

The first new cellular phone service to hit Metro Vancouver in 10 years is up and running. Wind Mobile promises rock bottom rates and top notch service. So, should you switch?
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...lumbiaConsumer

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-06-12, 12:56 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I've been running a scan of carriers with my N900 every few days and last night Wind finally showed up beside Rogers, from my basement!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-06-16, 02:50 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Signal is solid 3G <-> 3.5G through North Delta, North Surrey, South Burnaby and New Westminster so I switched two accounts over to Wind today. My own account gets the 50% off deal, and because I referred mrs. stampeder she also gets 50% off for 6 months and I get a month free for the referral.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-06-16, 01:25 PM
Veteran

Stampeder, how are their data speeds? Can you use Skype on 3G with your phone and provider?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-06-16, 01:28 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I haven't had a chance to play around with it much yet but the speed is very snappy and responsive.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-06-16, 04:54 PM
Veteran

Hey Arthur, I have been using Skype on my Nexus One here in Calgary on the Wind network. I just got the phone a few days ago, but so far the signal has been very good. Good signals in Bowness Park, Scenic Acres, Northland Mall, Tuxedo, etc...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in