Public Mobile launches today in Toronto - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-26, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Public Mobile launches today in Toronto

Public Mobile launched service in Toronto at 12:01 am Wednesday morning. Service to Mississauga and other suburban areas is expected in coming months.

Public Mobile is offering two plans in Toronto:
  • $24 unlimited talk –Includes unlimited local calling, call waiting, call forwarding and 3-way calling. Customers can add voicemail and call display for $8.
  • $40 unlimited talk and text – Includes unlimited local calling, voicemail & call display, call waiting, call forwarding and 3-way calling, plus choice of either unlimited Canada and US text messaging or unlimited Canadian long distance.

Additional add-on features include unlimited Canadian long distance for $5 a month or unlimited Canadian and US long distance, excluding Alaska and Hawaii for $10 a month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-26, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

FYI, Service in Montreal begins on June 25th.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-26, 10:57 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
A clarification: Public Mobile's $40 unlimited talk and text does NOT include Canadian LD. Canadian LD can be swapped for text -- that is, turn it into a voice only plan.

So, it's really $45 for unlimited Canadian calling, unlimited Canadian/US texting, VM, Caller ID.

The current coverage is extremely limited -- parts of GTA only. There is no roaming at all -- when you leave the coverage area, the phone service is kaput. Coverage, according to their maps, is the 427 on the west, Steeles Av on the north, and hwy 30 (Markham Pickering townline) on the east.

Also, there are 23 stores in GTA and 13 in Montreal (where there is no service for another month) -- that's somewhat shy of the 60 on the blog page.

By contrast, Wind Mobile has a $45 plan with the same features: unlimited Canadian calling, unlimited Canadian/US texting, VM, Caller ID -- and a much broader network extending well past GTA, and adding Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary and, in a few days, Vancouver. Plus they have a roaming agreement offering 2G service when out of Wind territory; your phone service is NOT kaput. There are about 35 stores (including Blockbuster locations) in GTA to serve you, and 50+ in total across Canada. And you can subscribe to post-paid if you prefer not to pay as you go.

But wait! There's more! At Mobilicity, that same $45 buys you unlimited Canadian calling, unlimited Canadian/US texting, VM, Caller ID. And while the network is modest in this "soft launch" phase, there are "imminent" plans to extend to approximately the same footprint as Wind Mobile and with a similar roaming arrangement. Plus they will have 250+ retail locations in GTA shortly. Best of all, you can swap (unlocked) phones from Wind to Mobilicity and back to Wind and get full 3G service; 3G phones on Bell, Rogers, Telus are not compatible.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-27, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Good notes. Thanks.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-27, 12:54 PM

Excellent news. I would suggest that theses companies should also look into the study which said Canadian consumers are also attracted by free phones.

People are so dumb that they don't care what the plans are, instead if you flash a shinny new phone, they'll sign the contract. So even though these new companies are offering no credit check, no contract AND unlimited gta, some people simply go to big three cause they offer free or low cost phones.

And of course then you hear people complain about CRTC. Well here's your chance guys. Pay for the darn phone and get your new plans.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-27, 05:44 PM
Veteran

A new CDMA carrier in this day and age...and not offering severe discounts to compensate for it?

That's about as exciting as a new AM radio station.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-27, 09:00 PM
Veteran

Mobilicity is HSPA, not CDMA - hence why you can bring an unlocked phone from Wind Mobile and vice-versa.

They don't have the same HSPA frequencies as Bell/Telus/Rogers.

(edit - my bad, got confused with which provider the topic is referring to).

Last edited by BGY11; 2010-05-28 at 05:35 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 10:08 AM

On the basis of what we are seeing none of the entrants are offering true "mobile phone" service and won't be for sometime to come. Wind is a bit better but still limited to major cities, Mobilicity and Public Mobile are more like wired phones with a long cord. Public Mobile won't work at all outside Toronto and Montreal this year. Mobilicity and Wind will work but users will start racking up roaming fees that make the presumed savings disappear quickly. For all of them, "unlimited" plans are expensive except for a small minority of heavy users (based on Canadian stats for how much we use our mobile phones - most of us don't spend 1000 minutes a month on the phone or download 5Gb of data).

Having looked at the plans from all three newcomers now, I can safely say none of them meet my needs. Until the new challengers can build our their networks, which will take a few years at best, the incumbents have little to worry about as they are selling a very different product; one which (maybe?) warrants a different pricing structure.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 11:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outinthornhill View Post
Mobilicity and Wind will work but users will start racking up roaming fees that make the presumed savings disappear quickly.
YOU forgot to include the $0.35 that the incumbents charge for LD, when you are outside your LCA. This is $0.10 more expensive than the roaming fees that WInd charges and $0.15 more than Mobilicity's roaming rates. Both Wind and Mobilicity do not charge LD fees while in Canada, while roaming. Wind also does not charge LD fee while you are roaming in the US, so that is a lot cheaper than the incumbents too.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 05:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
Mobilicity is HSPA, not CDMA - hence why you can bring an unlocked phone from Wind Mobile and vice-versa.

They don't have the same HSPA frequencies as Bell/Telus/Rogers.
The thread topic is Public Mobile.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 05:33 PM
Veteran

Oops. I got confused with the comparison between Wind, Mobilicity, and Public Mobile. For some reason I thought the last two were the same.

(goes to wash egg of his face).
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-29, 10:16 AM

Quote:
............(based on Canadian stats for how much we use our mobile phones - most of us don't spend 1000 minutes a month on the phone or download 5Gb of data)..............

Oit......sorry to hear none of the new comers doin any good for you. Like you said it might take few years.

Btw, I tried looking up the Canadian stats for mobile phones you mentioned above but could not find it. Would you be kind enough to send the link please. Thanks.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 02:05 PM

Basicly Public Mobile is for people in Toronto who do not own a car and are possibly thinking of getting rid of their landline phone.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 04:16 PM

I want to ditch Telus and switch to one of these new carriers but none go up to Barrie and the southwest side of Lake Simcoe. I need those areas in the summer time.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 09:05 PM

Quote:
On the basis of what we are seeing none of the entrants are offering true "mobile phone" service and won't be for sometime to come. Wind is a bit better but still limited to major cities, Mobilicity and Public Mobile are more like wired phones with a long cord. Public Mobile won't work at all outside Toronto and Montreal this year. Mobilicity and Wind will work but users will start racking up roaming fees that make the presumed savings disappear quickly. For all of them, "unlimited" plans are expensive except for a small minority of heavy users (based on Canadian stats for how much we use our mobile phones - most of us don't spend 1000 minutes a month on the phone or download 5Gb of data).
I think you underestimate the number of people who rarely leave the city. Personally I spend only a couple of weeks outside of the GTA each year, and while I'm travelling I don't use my phone much. I am considering getting a prepaid SIM for my phone next month as I'm planning a short trip, but I might not even bother. There are a lot of teens/young adults and seniors for example who don't travel much.

I also wonder how much of that limited use is due to fear of going over usage caps. It also doesn't account for the people who will replace their landline with an unlimited plan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in