Shaw President apologizes over racial slur - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-04-13, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Shaw President apologizes over racial slur

Quote:
Shaw Communications President Peter Bissonnette has apologized to Wind Mobile for camel jokes made by him and Shaw CEO Jim Shaw during a conference call with investment analysts last week.

During the call, Bissonnette and Shaw made what Globalive chairman and CEO Anthony Lacavera referred to as a "racial slur" when they referred to Wind Mobile as a camel.

A major investor in Wind Mobile is Egyptian-based Orascom Telecom Holding.

Shortly after the call, Lacavera said “It’s a racial slur joking about Egyptians and demanded an apology.

Despite saying his comments were simply a "light hearted jest" and that he could have easily have said "coyote" instead of "camel", the president was clearly unprepared for the outrage that followed and ultimately apologized for his prejudicial remarks.

"If they took that in any other way than in a light hearted jest, I apologize for that. It wasn't intended to be in any way mean spirited or anything." responded Bissonnette.

No apology was given by Jim Shaw, CEO of Shaw.
Real classy guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-04-13, 05:18 PM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
... they referred to Wind Mobile as a camel.
If they referred to the Egyptian investors as "camel jockeys" or something similarly offensive, I can understand the whole "racial slur" thing, but "Wind Mobile is (like) a camel" I don't get. I think that quote needs a bit more context.

-- Edit --

From this article:
Quote:
During the conference call apparently Shaw President Peter Bissonnette & CEO Jim Shaw were talking about new entrant Wind Mobile’s poor Calgary network coverage and Bissonnette said “Is the wind blowing in here… Or is that a camel?… Oh, it’s a camel.”
Meh.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-04-14, 01:54 AM

No surprise there. So it seems the new found arrogance and entitlement exhibited by a growing number of staffers might be dribbling down from the very top.
As the public begins to see more of this type of behavior, I can only surmise that they are heading down a slippery slope.
They have operated in a relative vacuum with impunity for so long, they are ill prepared when faced with new competition and don’t know how to behave.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-04-16, 09:40 AM

Thank gawd I cut my ties with these guys last year and went with MTS. I'd hate to support a company who has management like these ignorant hicks. Disgusting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in