Shaw to launch wireless services in 2011 (canceled) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 2010-06-30, 12:07 AM

Shaw teams up with Nokia Siemens on wireless division

New article in the Globe and Mail link here

Partial Quote:

“The equipment from (Nokia Siemens) will be fully 3G and LTE capable, giving Shaw a variety of options to deliver broadband wireless services to customers.”

Interesting times ahead.

Do you think the partner choice was a wise one? who else could of there been?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 2010-06-30, 07:22 PM

The new Bellus network is also LTE ready, I am told by a Telus employee.

Shaw will have to do more than promote hot tech to lure a critical mass of customers.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 2010-07-01, 12:59 AM

Yes, the Bellus network equipment was selected for ease of upgrade to LTE. But exactly what "LTE Ready" means is probably like what PC makers meant when saying their products were "VISTA Ready" or "WINDOWS 7 Ready"; still means work is required to get it fully functioning on LTE. Besides, who cares about LTE if there aren't any LTE phones!?

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 2010-07-01, 01:20 AM

I think the work is minimal, as in push out command to turn the features on or upgrade firmware on the tower. Its not going to be a physical instalation from what I understand.

Sure, Shaw may get the latest and greatest gear. Thats the way tech rolls. Im stuck on Rogers right now and have seen how the Bellus network is blowing the pants off it since there is not many people using it yet, and they have wider 3G coverage than Rogers.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 2010-07-01, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris View Post
The new Bellus network is also LTE ready, I am told by a Telus employee.

Shaw will have to do more than promote hot tech to lure a critical mass of customers.
I think one just has to look at all the home phone switchers from other companies to Shaw' to see a decent potential trend that could fit the wireless model well. I think this scares the pants off western celluar companies (and so they should be). At the end of the day the tech doesn't have to be the best latest and greatest, it just has to do as advertised. If 50-60k home phone customers are switching every 3 months from other companies by the time wireless launches there will be a significant amount of people who could by tempted by having 4 products on 1 bill for additional savings.

Shaw Employee but views/opinions are solely my own and do not represent or are in no way endorsed by any other party.
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 2011-08-12, 01:22 AM

Shaw to make wireless announcement before the end of the summer

Quote:
Brad Shaw sent them a note that “We are on track to make announcement the end of summer… The kids’ end”… so we all can expect something official around Labour Day (September 5th).
It's about time. It will be interesting to see whether they plan on pushing ahead with their own build or if they will announce a partnership with another carrier (Mobilicity rumours were swirling for a while) and, if they are building their own network, will they use HSPA or LTE?
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 2011-08-12, 07:45 AM
Member #1

Shaw's entry in the market is something to look forward to. I doubt they will offer the kind of pricing that Mobilicity or Wind offers but more choice should crack the ice a bit in the west.

post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 08:59 AM
Rookie

Can you say 'epic fail'?

I had heard they were trying to lease Rogers bandwidth to attempt a network, but the wording in the presser is pretty clear.

The Wifi talk is just deflection to talk about something else. This is not good news for Shaw, at all, but not exactly a surprise either.
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 09:48 AM
Member #1

Unfortunate for consumers but I don't think its a failure. More like a recognition that Shaw can't make money in Mobile wireless so better to spend their money on areas where they think they can make money. A Shaw shareholder might be very happy that Shaw has avoided a bloodbath.

To discuss the Broadband WiFI network announcement see the following thread in the Shaw Internet forum.

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 11:28 AM

So wait they wasted 190 million and then decided it wouldnt work. I wonder how they will recover that money...oh wait I know they will pass it in to the customer. Shaw never learnt to make money you have to spend money probably why they are last in hd channels. If they were smart since bell and telus are their competitors they would sign a deal with rogers to offer triple play
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 11:35 AM

Actually if you are listening to the analyst call that is live now that investment is believed not to be wasted as there is use for it. What is smart is capturing the data side from the celluar companies at reasonable pricing. Shaw WiFi should scale to 1Gbps..

Shaw Employee, Opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 11:37 AM

Legend, Shaw does have a triple-play: television, Internet, and home phone.

And you're trying to make it seem like the second Shaw decided not to use the spectrum itself that it lost all value. Spectrum isn't a carton of milk that sits in the fridge and expires if you don't use it.

They have the option to sit on it and use it later if the wireless environment changes in a way that attracts them, or they can sell it off (probably for a profit) if they decide they want to free up the cash tied up in it.

But you may be right, J.R. Shaw never learned how to make money... I can only imagine how disappointed his family is with how much the business is worth since opening a couple decades ago. I hope he has enough money for groceries this month. Maybe we should start up a collection?

Living in Calgary, I'm excited to see just how fast this is rolled out, and how quickly I can kiss data use away on my Bell phone.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

And if that fails, they could resell the spectrum they bought to their competitors for a profit.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 12:04 PM
Member #1

$190 million definitely not wasted. It's an asset they can resell at any time. Not sure if its still worth that much (or maybe its worth more) but it certainly isn't lost.

post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2149909/
Quote:
Mr. Allen noted that Shaw could conceivably sell to another new entrant the spectrum it bought for $190-million in 2008, though he noted the spectrum may be worth less now, possibly around $150-million. Mr. Allen added that he was unclear about the strategy, and was not sure if the announcement “is simply something for the company to 'show' investors.”

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!

Tags
nokia , shaw , siemens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in