Looking for cheap phones compatible with Wind Mobile. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-02-28, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
OTA

Looking for cheap phones compatible with Wind Mobile.

I am planning to switch to Wind Mobile soon and I was wondering, where can I buy the cheapest phones out there that are compatible with Wind Mobile?
I am looking for a very basic phone just to make phone calls etc.
Can anyone recommend me a place, either a kiosk or an outlet store that has low priced phone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
OTA

I also want to add:

Is it legal to call my cellphone provider and ask them to give me my unlock code?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 01:49 AM

it is not illegal to unlock a cell phone in canada, you can call and tell them you are going in europe and would like to use your phone there with a sim card that you will buy from a local cell provider

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 09:18 AM

Since the OP seems to live in North York, a trip to Pacific Mall (Steeles and Kennedy) will yield a selection of phones far broader than Wind's offering. They are sold unlocked from dozens of shops at the mall. Just be specific that the phone must be AWS compatible and work on Wind and Mobilicity. If a shop doesn't understand that, move along to another. There may be issues with warranties on phones imported directly from Asia, as opposed to those sold through North American distributors, but there can also be significant cost savings. The main advantage is access to the latest gear from Asia.

It's legal to unlock a phone you own but not easy to get the codes from Canadian wireless carriers. The traditional carriers are opening-up on this a bit as they offer more phones with international frequencies and the SIM card option. Wind says it will give the code after 3 months (we're less than a month away from knowing how well that promise is fulfilled); other carriers may require a longer wait or may not give the codes at all. There is no legall requirement that they do so, even if you buy a phone out-right.

Many times the easiest way is to buy the code on-line for about $20 and do-it-yourself. Public Mobile is Canadian, reputable and will provide the codes for most phones in a couple of hours for about $20. It's faster, less expensive and safer than running around town looking for an un-lock shop, leaving a phone with strangers, etc.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 09:54 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outinthornhill View Post
Public Mobile is Canadian, reputable and will provide the codes for most phones in a couple of hours for about $20. It's faster, less expensive and safer than running around town looking for an un-lock shop, leaving a phone with strangers, etc.
Sure but Public Mobile has made the baffling decision to start up an old-school CDMA network that is not used to any great extent outside North America, so there's not much point in unlocking their phones...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
OTA

Thanks, ill call Fido soon.
If they dont unlock my phone, ill go to the website above.
btw is there a site that can give me my unlock code for free?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 12:15 PM
Veteran

Fido phones won't be compatible with WIND Mobile - frequencies are different.

Also, AFAIK, Rogers/Fido generally won't give out the unlock codes. Bell charges $75 for the code, but will only do so after one month. Not sure about Telus.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
Sure but Public Mobile has made the baffling decision to start up an old-school CDMA network that is not used to any great extent outside North America, so there's not much point in unlocking their phones...
My very bad - and apologies. I'll claim I wasn't awake when I was writing this morning and blame a hangover of Olympic proportions.

The unlock company to which I meant to refer is Mobile In Canada (dot) com

And Public Mobile is indeed the new carrier with a brave technology strategy and lots of pension fund financing. Seems a contradiction to me, but they have their target market and I'm not even close to being part of it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
OTA

Pacific mall is a bit far from me.
Does anyone know a flea market in North York/ etobicoke area who sells unlocked phones that are compatible with Wind?

I would strongly appriciate it. Wind Mobile got me very excited so I am going crazy lol.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 11:47 PM
Veteran

I wouldn't bet on finding any Wind compatible phones on the flea market circuit....they picked a frequency band that is obscure in today's market. Hopefully all that changes a they establish themselves, though.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-03-02, 10:08 AM
Veteran

Have you checked eBay? Look for phones that are compatible with T-Mobile's network, as they are on the same frequency as Wind. If you do find one, just make sure it is compatible with the 1700 band. I noticed phones on eBay that say they are compatible with T-Mobile, but do not have the 1700 band.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-03-02, 10:22 AM

i did not try theirs service but ...
SN Traders sell phones online - it is cheaper if you pick up,
they are in Miss. Dixie/Eglington
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-03-07, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101 View Post
Have you checked eBay? Look for phones that are compatible with T-Mobile's network, as they are on the same frequency as Wind. If you do find one, just make sure it is compatible with the 1700 band. I noticed phones on eBay that say they are compatible with T-Mobile, but do not have the 1700 band.
T-Mobile has both plain old 2G GSM and 3G networks. The 2G is on 1900 MHz, which lots of phone's support but isn't compatible with WIND, while the 3G is on 1700 MHz which is compatible with WIND.

Some examples: (Not all are exactly inexpensive)

Sony Ericsson TM717 (Equinox) (Careful there is also an Equinox that isn't compatible)
Sony Ericsson TM506
Samsung T639
Samsung T559 Comeback
HTC Dash 3G
Motorola CLIQ
HTC Touch Pro 2
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-05-18, 03:23 PM
Rookie

ebay has a lot of wind compatible phones. I personally have the Blackberry 9700 and it works perfectly. Haven't had any problems. Just make sure you buy unlocked phones to make your life easier.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2010-05-18, 05:47 PM
Veteran

They've since added a $70 phone to fit the needs of low(er) end plain phone users.
It's no 'disposable' $20 phone, but it's better than the second lowest at $50 more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in