Wind Mobile: How good is their pricing? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-12-20, 08:05 PM

outinthornhill - Thornhill is part of Wind's intital coverage, they even have a few backend towers along the 407.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-12-21, 08:18 AM

Also note, I do not have a house phone (land line.) Thats at least a saving for $30 or more. Once I get home, I put my phone near my Bluetooth Cordless phone base, which makes alive the remaining cordless phones in the house.

Wonders you can do with Unlimited mins.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-12-21, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpig View Post
And how long did you have to be with them in order to get that plan?
i have now been with Telus (formerly Clearnet) ten years, but got that plan after 8. The unlimited data offer was time limited and has never been repeated. It was a matter of jumping when it was available AND committing to another 3 years, but has proven to have been worth it. This year, the "December bonus" is early evenings for the unlimited evenings/weekend. I know it pales in comparison.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-12-21, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSter View Post
outinthornhill - Thornhill is part of Wind's intital coverage, they even have a few backend towers along the 407.
I know WIND's maps show coverage along the #407 and going a bit north at Yonge St. If the towers point south towards Toronto, I might be OK at home, but if I went to a restaurant or the supermarket on #7 and east of Yonge, according to the maps, I would be roaming while less than 3km from home. It will be interesting to watch for reports on how reliable is the coverage at the borders of the HomeZone and how long it takes before the boundary shifts north to at least #9, which is about the Toronto local calling area limit on Telus.

If the money holds out and WIND continues its expansion as planned AND they fill in the gaps so service in available underground and in high-rises in downtown Toronto, it may become a reasonable alternative for some users. At the moment, it seems the launch was premature in order to start generating, some/any income.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-12-21, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonO View Post
(To outinthornhill) ^^^ That's the frustrating thing. No consistency with the big 3. I don't have the same service as you and I pay more...
I appreciate what you are saying. I never really had to negotiate. When I was upgrading to the Blackberry, the plans had changed since I had signed up. The Telus CSR just looked at my before and after pricing and made the necessary adjustments so the bill wouldn't increase, except for the addition of unlimited data. No haggling, no threatening to leave for big red. Since then, nationwide fave-five was added as a feature of the shared plan, I called in and it was added, no questions asked. But if I hadn't asked, I doubt they would have called me. It means "doing your homework" but it can be worth the effort.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-12-21, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outinthornhill View Post
i have now been with Telus (formerly Clearnet) ten years, but got that plan after 8. The unlimited data offer was time limited and has never been repeated. It was a matter of jumping when it was available AND committing to another 3 years, but has proven to have been worth it. This year, the "December bonus" is early evenings for the unlimited evenings/weekend. I know it pales in comparison.
So for those of us who haven't been with a provider for 8 years, then maybe it's not so realistic.

I got a nice shove out the door from Telus when I was with them for 4 years. I finished a 3 year contract, then went month-to-month for 1 more year, then called them up to cancel and start a family plan (got married). The CSR on the phone gave me a deal on 2 new free phones and free voicemail and callerID if I'd sign a 1-year contract. She said she made the changes in my file and that I could get the deal if I went in to a Telus store to pick up the phones.

So I walked down to the store and the people there had a list of excuses for me: "Don't have those phones anymore, can't give you that deal, that doesn't exist anymore..." and basically gave me the same treatment that any new customer would have gotten.

I walked out and into the Bell store across the way, and now I have about 8 months left on a 3 year contract with them. I'm looking at Wind or DAVE for my next phone at that time.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-12-22, 08:20 AM

One of the unusual things about Telus, I've learned, is that there are no corporate stores in BC and AB, despite Telus being headquartered there. We are fortunate to have corporate stores here and I'm not alone in thinking they offer better service than dealers who may not like the commissions they earn on deals offered by call-centre CSRs. Generally speaking, I believe dealers make the most on new sign-ups and I've read reports of them holding back stock of popular phones for such sales. It's not right and probably violates the dealer contract but that's the world. Corporate store or dealer, there is no guarantee that every model of phone will be in-stock; a wait of a day or two may occur.

I find it interesting that you negotiated a 1-year contract deal with Telus but walked across the street to Bell and signed a 3-year deal. Did you ask the Telus dealer, or call back the CSR, to see what you could get at three years? The plans and what they include differ a bit from Bell to Telus, but when the same options are chosen they are pretty much the same price. In my experience, Rogers is more expensive but the difference can be offset with bundling discounts. I definitely don't want a satellite dish on my house so I own't consider bundling with Bell.

Multi-service discounts are one more way the big three can compete. Kerrisdale should have decent WIND coverage and if you think it will meet your needs let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in