Wind Mobile Plans announced - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 10:44 AM
Veteran

Obviously, what rosenqui meant to say is that the Big 3 charge "long distance", not "roaming", once you step outside your local calling area. It is 35c/min and it is more expensive than WIND's 25c/min - so WIND is better there too. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't expect there to be roaming charges if you are in the Home Zone and for some reason you lose connection and hook to a Rogers tower instead - at least with Fido that never happened to me during the transition period - they charged extra only when you are outside the city limits (as they continue to do now, btw). I can safely predict that WIND will be waiving any accidental roaming charges incurred in the Home Zone.
The way I see it - WIND has the absolute perfect prices for my lifestyle - I travel every day, but only within their Home Zone of Calgary, almost never use my phone while outside of the zone, and would also appreciate the more than excellent US roaming rates they offer. The reason I won't switch is that I have an iPhone with the fully reasonable promotional data plan of $30/6GB, and WIND does not offer an iPhone yet. But if you like Blackberry, the WIND offer is a killer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 11:04 AM
U

One thing that WIND doesn't have going for them is the ability to bundle... I admit I haven't done the math but personally I prefer to get my Internet, TV and phone on the same bill. I don't have my mobile on my bill since work pays for it but if I had a personal one that's where it would go... This is something that Bell, Telus, Rogers and even Videotron can do today but not WIND...
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 11:24 AM
Veteran

One of the other good things about Wind is that you only pay $0.25 for roaming when you are in the US. This destroys any of the roaming charges you receive from the big three while in the US. Another good feature is that your received texts are unlimited anywhere in the world. This along with the fact that texts sent to Canad and the US are included in your text option. I think these plans are great. I am looking forward to Wind's launch in Calgary this Friday.

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 11:32 AM

I've read today the Wind plans to introduce between 10-14 news phones during 2010. I hope they have a nice selection by the time they open shop in Ottawa. Or a the very least offer SIM cards without a phone purchase.

I've also read that the unused minutes from the $15 plan can be carried over to the next month. I haven't seen any confirmatin of this though.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 11:39 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I've read today the Wind plans to introduce between 10-14 news phones during 2010. I hope they have a nice selection by the time they open shop in Ottawa. Or a the very least offer SIM cards without a phone purchase.

I've also read that the unused minutes from the $15 plan can be carried over to the next month. I haven't seen any confirmatin of this though.
Interesting... thanks for the updates. Hope they are accurate.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 11:50 AM

V, where did you read this? I'm holding off going to WIND because of the phone choices.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 02:06 PM

Re: Future phones

Quote:
"WIND says it will launch 12-15 new devices in 2010 as more AWS-compatible devices come to market."

http://www.marketnews.ca/LatestNewsH...inToronto.html
Quote:
"It plans to offer 10 more in 2010."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1402350/
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U View Post
I don't have my mobile on my bill since work pays for it but if I had a personal one that's where it would go... This is something that Bell, Telus, Rogers and even Videotron can do today but not WIND...
Have you ever seen a Rogers bill with multiple services on it? It's more convoluted and unnecessarily complicated than an electronics manual that was (poorly) translated into English from Japanese. I wish I could get 3 separate bills from Rogers for my services.

This is the lamest complaint I've heard about WIND to date.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 05:42 PM

Thanks, V. I hope WIND will announce new phones after the Christmas busy season.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-18, 10:10 AM

Good news! Looks like WIND will be selling SIM cards soon.

From their FAQ.

Quote:
Question

Can I buy a SIM card only?

Answer

To everyone who's commented about SIM card only sales, thank you very much for your feedback. We're listening. The WIND team is working diligently towards a solution where you will be able to have service with us without having to purchase a handset. The goal is to have this in place by the end of next week. Hope you don’t mind having to wait that long and we will try our best to inform members once it is available or give us a call or email/blog us if you are getting impatient.

Bear in mind though that the N900 or other phones may or may not be compatible with our network and you would have to “qualify” it in person at one of our stores with the help of one of our team members.

Your suggestions are what will make WIND Mobile the best company in Canada, so please keep them coming.
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-18, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckster View Post
You might want to check your facts. The big 3 do not charge roaming in Canada. I am about 20 hours away from my local calling area for 8 months out of the year and I have never paid a dime in roaming. I usually don't have any long distance charges either because of the Fab 10 option.
Fair enough - they don't call it "roaming" if you're still on their network (which you would be most of the time), it becomes "long distance" usage.

Your Fab10 option is keeping you from incurring those ~35c/min LD charges when you're out of your home calling area. Try calling or taking a call from someone outside of your Fab10 when you're away from the local calling area.

This became an even bigger issue when Rogers shrunk the size of the GTA local calling area - some people went from being local at both home & work to having one of them be out of zone and therefore long-distance.
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-18, 01:09 PM

V, thanks. Good news indeed. But a heads-up, to reinforce the WIND FAQ: the phone must be compatible or you're SOL. T-Mobile is a good source, to see if your phone will work on WIND, as both cellcos operate in the same spectrum.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-18, 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=rosenqui;1031122]Fair enough - they don't call it "roaming" if you're still on their network (which you would be most of the time), it becomes "long distance" usage.

Your Fab10 option is keeping you from incurring those ~35c/min LD charges when you're out of your home calling area. Try calling or taking a call from someone outside of your Fab10 when you're away from the local calling area.[QUOTE]
Actually when I am away for work I am nowhere near Bell's network and I am roaming on TBayTel. When people at work call me I simply hit ignore and call right back. That way neither party is paying any LD because at that point I'm making a local call. I might make two or three short LD calls/month and if LD became an issue I could purchase blocks of Canadian LD minutes that could reduce the cost to as low as 10cents/min (200 min for $20, 100 min for $12.50, etc)

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-18, 04:59 PM
Veteran

Ok, so I asked on the other thread if there were other phones that would work , and was told no. I'm starting a new thread to discuss Wind hardware options. We obviously need one.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-20, 12:35 PM
U

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpnfuzzy View Post
Have you ever seen a Rogers bill with multiple services on it? It's more convoluted and unnecessarily complicated than an electronics manual that was (poorly) translated into English from Japanese. I wish I could get 3 separate bills from Rogers for my services.

This is the lamest complaint I've heard about WIND to date.
I'm with Bell and my One Bill is quite readable thank you... I can't get Rogers I live in Quebec. What I really meant to say was that the bundles offer discounts that WIND can't offer right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in