Wind Mobile Plans announced - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 12:45 PM

I am with Fido and have CityFido 24x7x365 unlimited voice and I am sure that if I am not in my home city, Toronto and it local calling area (which is quite large and goes from Burlington to Oshawa and up to Orillia), that I pay roaming fees when I receive both an incoming call (whether LD or not) and make an outgoing call (whether LD or not).

From that perspective Windmobile is the same. The only problem is that you have to be in Toronto or Calgary to have a local calling area. That will change soon though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101 View Post
It is not charged by the big 3 if you are in your local calling area when the call is received. If you are outside your LCA, then you will receive LD charges for the incoming call.
Yes, this is more correct.

The Difference with the Big 3 and Wind in this matter is the Home Zone. Toronto could be your local calling area, but if you are in another Home Zone (Calgary) you can make/receive calls without roaming/long distance charges.

So once the Home Zones start expanding, this will be another advantage over the Big 3.

Right now though with me being in Ottawa. If I pick up a wind phone, and make/receive calls in my area, I'm still charged 25cents/minute roaming regardless if Its local or long distance as Ottawa is currently not a Home Zone.

djino
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 01:06 PM

Data speeds?

What data speed are they advertising for Mobile internet? Their web site seeems to be down.

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 01:36 PM

Quote:
What data speed are they advertising for Mobile internet? Their web site seeems to be down.
HSUPA data service of up to 2.0 Mbps
HSDPA data service of up to 7.2 Mbps
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 02:13 PM

Internet Speeds/ netwrk backbone

It looks like Wind's internet speeds are less then the big 3 but that is for maximum speed and in theory the big 3 speeds are usually only 50 % of what they claim because of network usage.

The bigger question about Wind is about backbone:
With Rogers etc if i dont have 3g signal thne it drops down to GSM etc but with Wind what happens is there isn't hspa available does it roam to rogers or have no service?
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 02:17 PM

Quote:
With Rogers etc if i dont have 3g signal thne it drops down to GSM etc but with Wind what happens is there isn't hspa available does it roam to rogers or have no service?
It roams on Rogers GSM/Edge network.

voice-25c/min
data -10c/25kb (ouch!)
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 03:49 PM

It almost sounds as if Rogers will, in the short term, make more money out of Wind than Wind will.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 05:31 PM
U

I find these plans quite underwhelming personally. Sure they are a bit better than the big 3 but not anything to write home about. Maybe when they expand their service area... Right now a lot of the unlimited stuff they advertise are not available the second you step out of Calgary or Toronto...
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U View Post
I find these plans quite underwhelming personally. Sure they are a bit better than the big 3 but not anything to write home about. Maybe when they expand their service area... Right now a lot of the unlimited stuff they advertise are not available the second you step out of Calgary or Toronto...
True, but keep in mind that with the "big 3", you pay roaming charges once you step outside of your local calling area, and the 25c/min from Wind is less than the ~35c/min that the others ding you for roaming.
The only time you're worse off with Wind is if you are roaming and make a local call - it's still 25c/min whereas it would be part of your local minutes with the other guys.
If you're in Toronto or Calgary and would have Wind coverage most of the time, the plans look awfully good compared to what the incumbents offer.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Globalive paid $442 million for that spectrum. They have to pay for that somehow so I am not surprised that many will find the plans "underwhelming"!

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 07:31 PM
Veteran

I have a dumb question and its applicable to all service providers (although I'm more interest in Wind). I currently do not own a smart phone and am with Rogers. If I upgrade or purchase a Blackberry and want to use GPS functionality, does this come from a data plan? Or do I need to buy some additional plan? Hugh's post, or should I say Wind's release, isn't specific in this regard.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuuk View Post
I have a dumb question and its applicable to all service providers (although I'm more interest in Wind). I currently do not own a smart phone and am with Rogers. If I upgrade or purchase a Blackberry and want to use GPS functionality, does this come from a data plan? Or do I need to buy some additional plan? Hugh's post, or should I say Wind's release, isn't specific in this regard.
I'm not 100% positive, but I think it depends on the GPS App. Ie if you use the GPS functionality over Google Maps, then for sure you'd be using Data. Do you have to have a Data plan? No, but you'll be charged at 10c per 25KB

djino
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 08:14 PM
Veteran

Ok thanks. A follow up dumb question. All i really want is a) a phone for limited use and b) a phone that can give me directions (don't want to buy a tom-tom) and c) a phone that has big fonts (so i can read who's calling) and d) a world phone (in case we travel), all for a cheaper price. I'm thinking Wind and a Blackberry may be the cheapest option. The cost of the phone isn't an issue.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenqui View Post
True, but keep in mind that with the "big 3", you pay roaming charges once you step outside of your local calling area.
You might want to check your facts. The big 3 do not charge roaming in Canada. I am about 20 hours away from my local calling area for 8 months out of the year and I have never paid a dime in roaming. I usually don't have any long distance charges either because of the Fab 10 option.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckster View Post
You might want to check your facts. The big 3 do not charge roaming in Canada. I am about 20 hours away from my local calling area for 8 months out of the year and I have never paid a dime in roaming. I usually don't have any long distance charges either because of the Fab 10 option.
The favourites option, on some plans, can be selected for no extra costs. I have a relatively modest shared minutes plan and got to choose whether I wanted national favourites, early evenings and weekends or unlimited incoming. Nationwide calling to family and closest friends made most sense to me while other will choose something else.

Having looked at the WIND plans, they are competitive for users who stick close to home when that home is downtown Toronto or Calgary (and a few other cities at an unknown future date). Consumers really need to know their calling patterns and needs and compare the offerings from each company carefully. I may spend 90% of my year in the GTA (but too far out in the suburbs to use WIND at home) but having to pay twice to roam outside the city would not be acceptable.

There will be customers who jump at the sound of "unlimited" without paying attention to the details. AND, there will be complaints in the media and on the net when they get their bills and find roaming charges equaling or exceeding their WIND service fee. I wonder if WIND has ensured that calls will only be carried on its network when in the physical geographic "home zone" or will we have a repeat of the experience when Fido customers went underground in Toronto and got hit with roaming fees because there was no Fido service but Rogers' did. How long before the first complaint that roaming was charged for a call received on "The Path"?

It will be interesting to observe how WIND, DAVE and Public Mobile try to get the most attention. WIND certainly has the 'buzz' now but that will change when the other two start to roll-out. WIND certainly won't be the only competitor, a reputation it has unfairly garnered in recent months due to the silence of the other newcomers. And it will be interesting to observe how the 3 incumbents adjust their plans, options and marketing to convey the message that they remain the best value. With loyalty bonuses, bundling discounts and larger networks they not exactly down and out. Telus' aggressive revenue target for 2010 bear witness to that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in