Wind Mobile is a go! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Wind Mobile is a go!

Quote:
OTTAWA (Dow Jones)--Canadian Industry Minister Tony Clement said Friday that the Canadian government has overturned the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission's decision against Globalive Communications Corp., allowing Globalive to enter the Canadian market without delay.

As reported, in October the CRTC had ruled that Globalive didn't meet the Canadian ownership requirements needed to operate in Canada, even though Industry Canada said it did. The federal cabinet had the right to overrule the regulator's decision.

Clement said Friday that the government has determined that Globalive meets Canadian ownership requirements.

Globalive is aiming to launch competitive wireless phone and data services in Canada, a move that would challenge incumbent carriers BCE Inc. (BCE), Telus Corp. (TU) and Rogers Communications Inc. (RCI).

Many investors believe Globalive would be a strong new entrant into the market because of the financial heft of its backer, Egyptian telecom company Orascom.
Let the price wars begin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 09:00 AM

Wow. "Robellus" must be going out of "its" mind! I'm wondering how long it will take Wind to build out an infrastructure. It's one thing to be the new entrant, it's another to offer coast-to-coast service right away.
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 09:05 AM
Member #1

Quote:
Clement said Friday that the government has determined that Globalive meets Canadian ownership requirements.
So what part of the government determined this - Industry Canada, the CRTC or ????

Although I was highly critical of the CRTC's decision after Industry Canada had previously approved Globalive's corporate structure, today's decision clearly shows that the Federal Government is corrupt (and I use that word in its truest sense meaning the government is not working properly not in the sense that bribes are taking place)

The capriciousness of this decision terrifies because it shows our politicians and bureaucrats are NOT operating under the rule of law which, history tells us, leads to more corruption and more unsound decisions.

I want Wind in Canada, however, I want Wind to be in Canada because it followed the rules and NOT because a bunch of politicians got together in a backroom and overturned the rules of the land

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 09:17 AM
Veteran

wind already has an infastructure, ie: 302-490 if you have a phone with the IMT 2100 band you can "SEE" wind, but not connect to it, you need a phone with the AWS 2100 band to "connect and register" to wind, and you would need a wind card or a carrier with roaming agreements with wind which no one seems to have yet.

i hope they have good competitive price plans that will compete with Bellus and Rogido
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 09:20 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
So what part of the government determined this - Industry Canada, the CRTC or ????
My guess is the cabinet since they have the power to overturn CRTC rulings.

I wonder if this decision can be appealed to the Federal Court?
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post

Although I was highly critical of the CRTC's decision after Industry Canada had previously approved Globalive's corporate structure, today's decision clearly shows that the Federal Government is corrupt (and I use that word in its truest sense meaning the government is not working properly not in the sense that bribes are taking place)

The capriciousness of this decision terrifies because it shows our politicians and bureaucrats are NOT operating under the rule of law which, history tells us, leads to more corruption and more unsound decisions.

I want Wind in Canada, however, I want Wind to be in Canada because it followed the rules and NOT because a bunch of politicians got together in a backroom and overturned the rules of the land
Very well said, Hugh. It's notable the cowardly Clement made the announcement as Parliament adjourns for the holidays so he will not have to answer for it in the House of Commons (at least until February).

If Canada was some banana republic, this would be reported as a "politicians over-ride legal system" story. Well guess what - we are looking more and more like a banana republic, with due apologies to bananas. The CRTC is charged with enforcing the laws passed by Parliament and tried to do so. The politicians, looking for some candy to toss the masses at Christmas, decided the law doesn't matter; let's buy some votes. That is corruption.

Amidst the hoopla, let's not forget it was Clement and a gang of his personal cronies who allowed SARS to rage out-of-control in Ontario when they couldn't set aside their political maneuvering to manage the health system professionally.
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 09:39 AM

Location: Ottawa, ON; Shaw Direct HDPVR630; Samsung HLT5687; Harmon/Kardon AVR247; Harmon/Kardon HKTS11
Here's Clement's reasoning:

Quote:
Mr. Clement said 80 per cent of Globalive's voting shares are controlled by Canadians, and just four its board members are those nominated by foreign interests.

“I think it sends a signal to the world that we are place where the rule of law triumphs, where you can have two branches of government that can reasonably differ on an interpretation of the facts of a particular case but that there can be a resolution of this and that the government has the ability to resolve this issue,” Mr. Clement said.

He stressed there is no change to Canadian ownership rules.

“All we have done, is we believe, interpreted the law in the appropriate and proper, correct, way, that Globalive, when you look at the facts on the ground, Globalive meets those Canadian ownership and control requirements,” he said.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1396853/
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 09:57 AM
Member #1

What Clement fails to note (and what the CRTC and Telus argued) is that a majority of shares in the company are held by foreign interests.

Once again, I am not arguing that Wind should not operate in Canada, however, I am horrified at the capricious back room nature of this whole ordeal.

I said this in October when the CRTC ruled the other way that this whole Wind Mobile business smells real bad with way too much political interference and what appears to be a complete disregard for the rules of the land.

post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 10:09 AM

Really ... what does it matter if it is forgien owened? Its a pay for use service, it will employ Canadians not otherwise employed, they have to abide by the rules of Canada in every way to operate, pay taxes etc, ... So a little profit trickles off shore? Since this will be a discounted service, it should make the others tow the line a bit! It in case of hostilities or what ever, Canada can take over the spectrum if it requires, not like our oil being pumped out of the ground and shipped offshore!!! For next to no royalties to add!!
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 10:20 AM
Member #1

Quote:
Really ... what does it matter if it is forgien owened?
may I suggest spell checking.

But seriously, I agree about the foreign ownership issue but that's not what the laws of Canada require. I believe all company's and politicians should abide by the law. Telus and the CRTC decision would suggest that Mr. Clement and his political peers have made a decision that contravenes the laws of Canada.

My belief is that, if the laws are wrong, then change them so everyone operates on a level playing field but don't make arbitrary backroom political decisions that essentially tell the country that "whoever gets the ear of the minister gets the winning decision."

post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 10:28 AM

Is this possibly the start to dismantle the CRTC?
post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 10:33 AM

Paolo, given the spectrum that was auctioned, do you know which of the latest smartphones which operate in the AWS 2100 band? I know the current iteration of the iPhone will not connect to WIND.
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 10:42 AM

If anyone wants to watch the press conference, here it is (about 15 minutes including questions):
http://watch.bnn.ca/#clip245136

A couple of points from the interview:
  • Industry Canada ruled that Globalive met the legal and factual control requirements.
  • The CRTC ruled that Globalive met the legal requirements but that Globalive was foreign-controlled.
  • The cabinet decided Globalive met the legal requirements and although the foreign partners have influence on the company, it did not amount to control.
  • Two branches of government can legimately come to different conclusions on a subjective decision.

@Hugh, from The Globe:
Quote:
Mr. Clement said 80 per cent of Globalive's voting shares are controlled by Canadians, and just four its board members are those nominated by foreign interests.
post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Wind (Global Live) will operate in the 1700 3G spectrum

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_ca.shtml
post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 10:52 AM

Thanks, V. Now I'll take a look at which phones operate in this band.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in