Wind Mobile is a go! - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-12, 07:56 PM
Veteran

I believe Wind has a roaming agreement with Rogers so that service would be available in Quebec. Not sure where I heard this though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-12, 08:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by U View Post
The current government is clearly biased against the CRTC and this whole deal really seems fishy to me.
And that's a good thing. The CRTC doesn't serve Canadians, it serves the established Canadian telecom industry. Kudos to a government with the courage to dismantle that nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynot View Post
Don't get me wrong...I think we need more competition in Canada but WIND doesn't bring this to the second largest market in the country...Quebec.
Blame your own government and the people that voted them in for making Quebec a second-class market.
post #63 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-12, 09:28 PM
Rookie

Will they use regular HSPA which is 3.6/7.2 or HSPA+ which is 21 like Rogers/Telus/Bell upgraded to???

post #64 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsawatsky View Post
There are no Blackberries, or as far as I know, any phone from Rogers that support the Wind spectrum on UMTS band IV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpail
Fom what I understand, Wind is similar to T-Mobile: both operate in the AWS band. So the Rogers Blackberry Bold 9700 is not functional in the Wind spectrum. Wind will be selling the same model, the 9700 with, presumably, out-of-the box functionality (as does T-Mobile).
The only BB that will run on 3G AWS is the 9700. Of course, its a bit tricky as there is two versions of the 9700. One that will work on rogers/bell/telus/AT&T umts/hspa network (with 3G bands 850/1900/2100) and one that will work on t-mobile/Wind (with 3G bands 900/1700/2100)

It would be nice for some manufacturers to start making quadband 3G (maybe 850/1700/1900/2100).
post #65 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
Will they use regular HSPA which is 3.6/7.2 or HSPA+ which is 21 like Rogers/Telus/Bell upgraded to???
i'm pretty sure Wind has been building an hspa+ network.
post #66 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynot View Post
Just my 2 cents but I hope these guys FAIL big time.

Don't get me wrong...I think we need more competition in Canada but WIND doesn't bring this to the second largest market in the country...Quebec.

The earlier they can go bankrupt, the better. Make room for true nation-wide competition. Never thought I'd defend them but at least Bell/Telus/Rogers provides service everywhere.
It's my understanding that Videotron outbid everyone for the spectrum allocated for new entrants so they wouldn't have any competition other than the big 3.

If Wind fails in 5 years and Bell/Telus/Rogers buys them out, you're no further ahead. The best bet for a true national carrier is for Wind to succeed well enough to outbid the others for Quebec spectrum the next time around.
post #67 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 12:35 PM

I think Telus is correct in saying this will impact other industries as well. Imagine if our banks were majority owned by US banks during the last crisis. Tony Clement has his head in the sand.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1398178/

The government justified its move by stating that ownership rules set out in the Telecommunications Act should be enforced “when possible,” meaning not always. This loose interpretation of Canadian law is said to have angered CRTC chairman Konrad von Finckenstein, who is also a federal judge.

“The decision to vary the CRTC Globalive decision, let me emphasize, was based on the legal facts and not on the government's position that there needs to be more competition in the marketplace,” Industry Minister Tony Clement told reporters in Ottawa.

The government's action opens the door to a broad interpretation of Canadian telecom law, and effectively renders the CRTC irrelevant on matters Ottawa deems crucial to the industry. Mr. Clement said he believes the move does not set a precedent, but many disagree.

An executive at Telus Corp. called the Globalive situation “a stunningly obvious example of foreign ownership,” which could have implications for other industries.

“This does not only affect the wireless industry. It has precedent setting value, and I suspect other federally regulated undertakings such as banking and airlines would be affected,” said Michael Hennessy, senior vice-president of regulatory and government affairs at Telus. “The government would like to contain this, but I don't think they can because the implications are well beyond wireless.”
post #68 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 01:38 PM
Veteran

I think Hennessy is grasping at straws with that wide interpretation. Different sectors are governed by different legislation and may or may not have an arm's length regulator.
post #69 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 01:47 PM

Wind mobile and Quebec

Lot of people in Quebec seem upset but here is the explanation I found on wind mobile website.

"Why aren’t we talking about Quebec? We’re not in Quebec because we were beat out in the spectrum auction. Quebecor was successful in buying up nearly all of the available AWS spectrum in Quebec. They actually paid more for the Quebec spectrum than we paid for all the rest of Canada! We wanted to be there (and really still want to be there), but we can’t do that without spectrum. However, we are working on having roaming coverage in Quebec and other areas in Canada."

I underlined what looks like the main reason. So blame Quebecor for keeping the competition out at all costs.
post #70 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 03:02 PM
Veteran

Yep. You can't blame Wind at all for not being available in Quebec. Québecor beat out everyone, which is a real shame. We're still stuck with price gouging incumbents.
post #71 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 03:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by profets View Post
i'm pretty sure Wind has been building an hspa+ network.
Do you know where you heard this from?

I did some researching and found a article on their website regarding their contract with lucent to build their 3g network and they made no mention of hspa+.

In either case, I have asked that question to one of their tweeter guys, and I'll see if he responds.
post #72 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post
I think Telus is correct in saying this will impact other industries as well. Imagine if our banks were majority owned by US banks during the last crisis.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1398178/

The government justified its move by stating that ownership rules set out in the Telecommunications Act should be enforced “when possible,” meaning not always. This loose interpretation of Canadian law is said to have angered CRTC chairman Konrad von Finckenstein, who is also a federal judge.

“This does not only affect the wireless industry. It has precedent setting value, and I suspect other federally regulated undertakings such as banking and airlines would be affected,” said Michael Hennessy, senior vice-president of regulatory and government affairs at Telus. “The government would like to contain this, but I don't think they can because the implications are well beyond wireless.”
Then "when possible" words refer to the provisions of the law with respect to the Policy Objectives section of the Telecom Act not to the specifics with respect to foreign ownership and control. The "meaning not always" was an editorial insertion by the articles author, not the gov't. The Act gives the Governor in Council significant authority on how the Policy Objectives are to be applied. I don't see that the gov't has changed the law at all in this decision even after considering the Policy Objectives as they stand in a fairly stict way.

Canadian airlines already operate with similar considerations. AC restructured with major $US dollars and met the rules by issuing variable voting shares. Their major debt even now is aircraft acquisition, most held by GE. So I don't see this affecting airlines at all. Banking has rules on the financial regulatory side that discourage foreign ownership as much as the investment rules. Also, the Schedule I (big Canadian banks) cannot have more than 20% single entity owning voting shares or 30% non-voting shares. There is no way to compare the Bank Act ownership restrictions with the Aviation or Telecom situations - the gov't simply doesn't have the leeway under the law - Telus is blowing smoke about this having any impact outside of Telecom. This Globalive situation is unusual only in that Orascom was willing to take on such a significant capital position without holding an even close to corresponding voting and board position.
post #73 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 11:33 PM

I have one year left in my rogers contract, and I'm not in a rush to go on another 3 year contract.

If this lowers the amount of contract years to two I'll be happy. 3 years is ridiculous.

As for Hugh's comments, they come across to me more as political nitpickery than anything else.

Conservatives pay for cell phones too. They must know we're getting gouged.
post #74 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 11:55 PM

"I think Telus is correct in saying this will impact other industries as well."

I am praying that is the case. I have had enough of cartels.
post #75 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 01:40 AM

My hopes were raised that finally I could be able to get an iPhone with reasonable rates as my 3 year contract with Rogers expires next month, but now I don't know how it is all going to end up. Too bad this Wind company has the right philosophy regarding customers, they just don't have the products customers want as far as I am concerned. Maybe they just don't want to compete with Rogers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in