Wind Mobile is a go! - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Some analysis on WINDs potential competativeness:

Quote:
"Because the firm is backed by foreign investors rather than a financial institution, he said the company is more likely to engage in "irrational" pricing to win new customers.

"In short, we now think there is greater risk of pricing declines in wireless particularly on voice services," he said"

"These guys have national coverage from Day 1, three data centres, they've managed to get 475 cell sites in the last nine months and have kiosks inside of Blockbuster stores. I think there are many ways they'll undercut prices, especially from Rogers."

http://www.bnn.ca/news/14420.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
A phone that does not immediately work when one gets of the plane in Europe is a major no-no for me.
You can always roam Europe on GSM. Almost any new phone has quad-band GSM now.
post #33 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 04:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaamon View Post
I just checked and see a handfull of the blackberry from Rogers are compatible with wind wireless band, plus the new storm.
My Bold 9000 can see the Wind network (near YYZ airport)

post #34 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 04:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
You can always roam Europe on GSM. Almost any new phone has quad-band GSM now.
On the T-Mobile USA page I counted 34 3G phones, that can be used on Wind Canada. Out of them 32 had the European GSM frequencies. So, Wind's customers will have no problems roaming worldwide with their phones.
post #35 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 04:45 PM
Veteran

I think the government apparatus is working as it should and applaud this decision. Comments on some news sites appear to be strongly in favour as well. If this is 'corrupt' we should be so lucky to have more.
post #36 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 04:54 PM
Rookie

The way I look at it, who cares bring it on, the more players we have here in Canada the better, look at the deals they have in the USA, it is time for us to have the same. It should be like that for everything, internet, cell phones, airplanes and the list could go on.
post #37 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 06:10 PM
Member #1

Quote:
If this is 'corrupt' we should be so lucky to have more.
Sigh, I give up. Please read what I actually said before you quote me and mock my comments. In this case, consumers got the desired result but I simply believe the price was too high.

Signing off this thread!

post #38 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 06:37 PM
Veteran

...and I'm signing on:

Canadian ownership in this case amounts to little more than getting legally butt-raped by your countrymen. Given a choice, I'll gladly pay a foreign company for good value.

...and while we're on that topic, it's all smoke and mirrors anyways. Foreigners can own public companies like Telus, Bell and Rogers. There's no limitation on where the profits get distributed. Canadian control of voting rights has never demonstrated to have any benefit to Canadian consumers.

Likewise, we can own foreign companies like Globalive and bring the profits back to Canada, so the provision is truly meaningless.

Wind will pay taxes in Canada and employ Canadians. Case closed as far as I am concerned.

As for hugh's point, which revolves around abuse of process, that's highly subjective and quite frankly, I don't think anybody here has the wherewithal to understand the complexity. It would be interesting to see what somebody like Michael Geist has to say.
post #39 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 06:43 PM
Premium Supporter

I can't wait for the first complaint from someone who feels he/she is being "raped" (or similar consumer hyperbole) by this new company...
post #40 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 06:57 PM
Veteran

I applaud the decision. I think the government is (finally) getting the message that Canadians want more choice, and the foreign ownership rules were preventing that. I could care less if my dollars are going to foreigners, as long as I'm getting a better service as a result. Even if it just results in better service from the existing providers, it's worth it. Bell, Rogers, and Telus can complain all they want but they've benefited plenty from the status quo.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #41 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 08:33 PM
Veteran

First off...

LOVE the change!!!! For the first time, the incumbent will have REAL competition!!!!

As for Hugh's comments on stock, ownership and voting... The US allows for classes of stock that can be set with proportionality. This is how they maintain American control but with foreign ownership. One excellent example is UPS. They only allowed 10% public voting power even with the size of the IPO. The ratio was set as 10 votes for the employee owned stock 1 for public stock.

If there was something ILLEGAL, then there would have been hay on that by now. I will give that there is a BROKEN process in Canada for things like wireless providers. To use the term corrupt would be to say that it was at one time, not corrupt. That is something that I do not believe. The CRTC has been a boondoggle from the get go almost.
post #42 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
My Bold 9000 can see the Wind network (near YYZ airport)
It can see one-half of the Wind network but it will never connect with the Wind network. Wind uses the "AWS" band, which uses UMTS band IV, referred to as the 1700 MHz frequency band. It uses 1710-1755 for uplink and 2110-2155 for downlink. The Wind downlink is within the UMTS band I, referred to as the 2100 MHz (or IMT) band, which uses 1920-1980 for uplink and 2110-2170 for downlink. Therefore many 3G/HSPA phones that support the 2100 band (common in Europe and some parts of Asia and Australia) will "see" the Wind downlink but won't ever connect.

There are no Blackberries, or as far as I know, any phone from Rogers that support the Wind spectrum on UMTS band IV.
post #43 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 08:38 PM

Westjet and Air Canada also have proportional voting shares for their share sold to non-Canadians. The voting proportion is automatically adjusted to ensure that foreign shareholders never have more than a 25% voting block.
post #44 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 09:52 PM
Veteran

timlocke. wind does use 2100 in canada, but 1700 is the uplink, 2100 is the downlink. its unusual because its split into two unlike the other bands they use 850 uplink/850 downlink, so we only say 850 once, not twice. otherwise we'd say 850/850, 1900/1900, 1700/2100, but it becomes too cluttered, so instead we will use 850/1900/AWS/IMT, got it?
post #45 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 10:03 PM

Fom what I understand, Wind is similar to T-Mobile: both operate in the AWS band. So the Rogers Blackberry Bold 9700 is not functional in the Wind spectrum. Wind will be selling the same model, the 9700 with, presumably, out-of-the box functionality (as does T-Mobile).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in