RCA HDTV reboots every night at 7:30 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-26, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Question RCA HDTV reboots every night at 7:30

I have the HD52W55 Rca 52' projector hdtv, it's about 1 and a half years old. Been working until September the 16th. At which time I get a red blue and green line that pops up, screen goes blank, and the tv some times reboots. I have had 2 electricians checking outlets, switches, and the breaker box. The volts are 120-119. I have had the local cable company over that replaced my DVR box twice, ran new lines, and replaced my splitters. I have no speakers near it, and all other electrical devices are unplugged in that room.

Now the catch is it does it at 7:30pm everynight. I have checked outside lights none are on at that time. I think its interferance from something. The tv does this rather its been on all day or unplugged all day and plugged in at 7:30pm. I have aluminum foil on the back thinking maybe RF from something.

No other neightbors are having any problems. I was thinking tv problem. BUT, 7:30 every night no matter what...some days are worse then others.

Any ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated. I have not figured this out.

THanks,
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-26, 11:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixonphotos View Post
Now the catch is it does it at 7:30pm everynight
Are there are timers set in the TV, like sleep timers etc.?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 01:04 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If both you and your neighbour are affected at EXACTLY the same time every day and if it's not your own timer, there is perhaps an IR pulse of some kind generated nearby by someone else' timer of some sort? (Your TV uses IR not RF right???)

If you (or your neighbour) have a light timer that turns on a compact fluorescent bulb, that may also do it as CFs have been known to cause interference on IR frequencies. Any other timers???

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 02:44 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Just as an experiment to try: what happens if you set the TV's internal clock 7 hours ahead? Will it stop rebooting at 7:30pm but do it at 2:30am? If so, there may be some weird chipset flaw in the clockworks. Give it a try and let us know.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

bizarre problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbracing24 View Post
Are there are timers set in the TV, like sleep timers etc.?

There are no timers set up at all. I am the only with a problem. Nobody else is having it. I have put aluminum foil on the back to block out RF but still no help on it.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 01:50 PM

Quote:
...BUT, 7:30 every night no matter what...some days are worse then others.
Did it ever happen NOT at this time?
Did it ever NOT happen at this time?

Diogen.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogen View Post
Did it ever happen NOT at this time?
Did it ever NOT happen at this time?

Diogen.
It ran fine up until September 16th. Since the 16th everynight at 7:25-7:35 it starts this. We can have the TV on all day and at 7:25-35 it starts. WE can leave it unplugged all day and at 7:00 plug it in and at 7:25-35 it starts. Here it is almost 2 weeks and I am still fighting this problem.

I DO NOT THINK ITS THE TV itself. It acts like interferance.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 02:34 PM
Member #1

You can rule out interference by taking stampeders advice and changing the clock in the television (if one exists)

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 02:49 PM

The manual states,

Quote:
TV turns off while playing: Electronic protection circuit may have been activated because of a power surge. Wait 30 seconds and then turn on again. If this happens frequently, the voltage in your house may be abnormally high or low.
So I would assume that at 7:30 PM your voltage is dropping for a fraction of a second. Testing the voltage at other times won't show this. I have seen some lights flicker at exactly the same time each night.

As a test put your TV behind a UPS if you have one. It should filter out the tiny drop or rise in voltage. Or the protection circuit is starting to die and you may see more of this down the road.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
The manual states,

So I would assume that at 7:30 PM your voltage is dropping for a fraction of a second. Testing the voltage at other times won't show this. I have seen some lights flicker at exactly the same time each night.

As a test put your TV behind a UPS if you have one. It should filter out the tiny drop or rise in voltage. Or the protection circuit is starting to die and you may see more of this down the road.
I have checked my power after 7:30 with just the TV and DVR box hooked up my power goes from 120 down to approx. 119.5.

I can do the UPS and see what happens. ALSO, I dont remember if I said it or not...some nights are worse then other nights.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 05:16 PM

Quote:
There are no timers set up at all. I am the only with a problem. Nobody else is having it. I have put aluminum foil on the back to block out RF but still no help on it.
Did you try putting tinfoil on your head? Sorry, couldn't resist :-)

Do you live near the ocean by any chance? I heard of a story once where a system manager was having weird things happen to his computer on a regular bais. He correlated the times to high tide and it turned out a ship's equipment in the harbor caused interference when the rising tide lifted the ship into line of sight. Don't know if it's an urban legend or not, but it's a cool story.

could it be an STB that needs to dial out and you don't have it connected to a phone jack? Look tv uses this setup for their PPV and from what I understand Bell used to have this as well. Grasping at straws here but perhaps your stb is triggering this in the tv? You can test this easily by disconnecting it prior to 7:30 or changing its time.

Samsung LCD, Emotiva Lmc-1 pre-amp, Rotel RMB-1075 power amp, B&W Nautilus 805 "book shelf" speakers etc.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by synmag View Post
Did you try putting tinfoil on your head? Sorry, couldn't resist :-)

Do you live near the ocean by any chance? I heard of a story once where a system manager was having weird things happen to his computer on a regular bais. He correlated the times to high tide and it turned out a ship's equipment in the harbor caused interference when the rising tide lifted the ship into line of sight. Don't know if it's an urban legend or not, but it's a cool story.

could it be an STB that needs to dial out and you don't have it connected to a phone jack? Look tv uses this setup for their PPV and from what I understand Bell used to have this as well. Grasping at straws here but perhaps your stb is triggering this in the tv? You can test this easily by disconnecting it prior to 7:30 or changing its time.

No...i have not tried foil on my head...lol

No i do not live near the ocean...

However I have the TV and the DVR box in my UPS and it is still doing it.

My Tv uses RJ-45 to connect for updates, and my DVR updates through coax from the local cable company.

<stands in corner on head> thinking what could be doing this....
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-28, 10:22 AM

Quote:
However I have the TV and the DVR box in my UPS and it is still doing it
Well you have stumped me. So your UPS is not even chirping when the event occurs? How many VA is the UPS?

What does RCA support say about this?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-28, 10:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
My Tv uses RJ-45 to connect for updates, and my DVR updates through coax from the local cable company...
Remove the RJ-45. The update facility may be the cause.

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 2006-09-28, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Well you have stumped me. So your UPS is not even chirping when the event occurs? How many VA is the UPS?

What does RCA support say about this?
I will have to look at the UPS and get back with you. I have emailed RCA 2 times and never got a repsonse back. I talked to a local guy...they want $45.00 diagnostic fee and me bring them the TV. OK...If I take the TV to them chance it won't happen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in