FS doesn't sell DLP anymore - Is DLP as we know it dead? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 86 (permalink) Old 2006-09-23, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post

The ultimate fact of the matter is that SED is basically a hybrid CRT technology and because of that, has FAR more usable development time over plasma.

If Tosh is getting out of the other formats of sets/not concentrating as much effort into research on the other types of sets, perhaps they are closer to mass production on SED sets than we thought.
From an article by Al Griffin in Sound & Vision magazine.

Toshiba and Canon's SED flat screen draws from both plasma and old school cathode-ray tube (CRT) TVs
The rapid price erosion of plasma and LCD TVs sent developers back to the lab to figure out a more cost effective way to manufacture SED sets.
Toshiba now plans to introduce SED to coincide with the 2008 summer olympics in Beijing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 86 (permalink) Old 2006-09-25, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
jrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpshr View Post
Perhaps the bigger question should be why the recipe for a expensive tv includes cardboard and tape.
Take a look inside a Mercedes, Beemer, or..., lately?
My old RP Sony was jammed with cardboard and tape. If they could use bubblegum they would do it to save a peso.
post #78 of 86 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 07:12 PM

Wow, I was shocked when I came across this thread

Since I already have a DLP set my only concern is availability of replacement bulbs and maybe parts. I have been trouble free except for a faulty remote and I am very happy with my set.

I have a theory that large format RP tech. gets misplaced blame for causing nausia when it may be caused by motion sickness. My sets minimum recommended viewing distance is 10 feet. When I first set it up to quickly check it I was 7 feet away and I got nausious watching a DVD after about 5 minutes. Now I have it set up about 10 feet away and while I'm fine with most programming, I still get a bit nausiated and a head ache when I'm watching shows like CSI with a lot of jerky camera movement and all kinds of flashing high intensity lights (I love the show but I wish they would do away those irritating fast forward stop and go camera effects). If I'm watching from my dining room about 15 feet away I don't feel any ill effects therefore I believe the nausia is caused by watching fast moving images from close up.

I get motion sick in cars as a passenger and I also got nausiated when I started watching movies on my 21" PC monitor. I never heard of a CRT tube causing nausia. Again I was watching from too close and as soon as I backed up I was fine. Same with the DLP tv. All this time I never noticed the rainbow effect on my DLP set. Even when I look for it.

This is just a theory it's certainly no proof or anything but I wonder how many of those people complaining about the ill effect of DLP would be ok sitting further back and it's not caused by the technology.

Some might say what's the point if I sit further back but since the minimum is 10 feet the optimum viewing distance is probably close to 13-15 feet. I have an open concept condo and I can see the tv from my kitchen witch is about 20 feet away and it still looks impressive from that far away.

Samsung LCD, Emotiva Lmc-1 pre-amp, Rotel RMB-1075 power amp, B&W Nautilus 805 "book shelf" speakers etc.

post #79 of 86 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 08:07 PM
Veteran

I don't know about the others but I buy my TV screen size according to the optimum THX calculation and that distance, my entire family feel the nausea virtually instantly.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #80 of 86 (permalink) Old 2006-09-29, 07:31 PM

I always doubt what FS sales people say. Half the time they don't even know their product. I think what we'll see is Best Buy carrying DLP while FS carries LCD. FS was suppossed to be the "consumer" store, while BB was a little higher end.

I've had my DLP three years and hope to get another 3 or 4 out of it. True, I did have the colour wheel replaced about a year ago. Technology does move on and DLP isn't new.
post #81 of 86 (permalink) Old 2006-10-03, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer View Post
Very interesting. Goodbye DLP. LCD was always the better choice anyways.
Let's face it, DLP (not LED based DLP) and Existing LCD (not SXRD) technolgy is in it's waning days. Toshiba knows it and is investing heavily in SED technology which could have huge impact when it comes on the market next year. The first model will be a 55" with a 50,000 to 1 contrast ratio and priced competively with LCD. I think there is a reason Sony has invested heavily in SXRD, as they know it as well.

In a few years there will prolly only be 3 companies each with a different technology in the big screen space:

Toshiba with SED.
Sony with SXRD.
Samsung with LED based DLP.

What no Plasma, that's right kiddies no Plasma, SED will KILL Plasma and bury it 6 feet deep. SED is the only big screen technology that is not projection.
post #82 of 86 (permalink) Old 2006-10-03, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synmag View Post
Some might say what's the point if I sit further back but since the minimum is 10 feet the optimum viewing distance is probably close to 13-15 feet. I have an open concept condo and I can see the tv from my kitchen witch is about 20 feet away and it still looks impressive from that far away.
I have a 71" Toshiba MX196 and I set 8.5 feet from most of the time, and sometime only 7 feet and I love it. The optimal viewing distance for 1080 material on a 71" is 9 feet, on a 60' it's 8 feet, on a 50" it 6.5 feet. Sitting father back and your eyes not able to discern all the detail in the picture. Here is a link to a chart that explains it: Viewing Distances.

This baloney about 10', 15', or more is from the old days when there was no high def and the screens were not that good. If you've got one of these really old DLP's that look like crap you know what I mean.
post #83 of 86 (permalink) Old 2006-10-04, 02:18 PM

Its nice to predict stuff about plasma being gone and that SED will take over the world and such, but that's why people do it.

SED is not going to take anything by storm, its a new technology and as such, people will slowly test it and see its pros and cons prior to replacing any buys that happen in the last 2-3 years. Most TV buys are for 10+ years before people splurge to buy another expensive item again.

Most new technology takes 2-3 years to gain momentum. See how long it took high definition. Anyone who has money to burn will always buy 1st generation stuff for the cool factor. Anyone who has money but don't want to burn it, usually waits to see how the 1st. generation stuff fares and weighs the pros and cons of the consumer's opinions, and then buys the 2nd. generation stuff which by then has incorporated most of the fixes from the first generation hardware deficiencies.

So, as far as prediction goes, its as good as my dog's breakfast. It comes and goes. Just my 2 cents.

Panasonic TH50PX60U / Denon AVR-990 / 8642HD PVR/ Panasonic DVD-S77 / Pioneer DV-563A / Playstation3 / Belkin PF60
post #84 of 86 (permalink) Old 2006-10-04, 06:53 PM

The Nov '06 Consumer Reports annual electronics issue didn't have DLP nor LCDRP reviews this year. (They did have them for the last 2-3 years).
post #85 of 86 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post

I find it interesting that of the RP technologies being dropped its DLP.
The reality is that in the long run Plasma will disappear before DLP. When you get a 71" LCD for the same price as a 71" DLP then DLP will be toast. We are a ways away from that. I'd be more concerned about SED wiping all the others off table espically Plasma.
post #86 of 86 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobancle View Post
I have a 71" Toshiba MX196 and I set 8.5 feet from most of the time, and sometime only 7 feet and I love it. The optimal viewing distance for 1080 material on a 71" is 9 feet, on a 60' it's 8 feet, on a 50" it 6.5 feet. Sitting father back and your eyes not able to discern all the detail in the picture. Here is a link to a chart that explains it: Viewing Distances.
Those "threashold" distances I would call minimum distances. They may be optimal for static images but they don't take into consideration the motion and how the eyes/brain percieve them. That's the point I was trying to make. It's true I can sit 7 feet and see all the details of a 1080 image but as soon as fast motion and flashing is involved my eyes get tired trying to keep up and constantly refocus. That's why I think the technology gets the bad wrap for causing head aches when in fact it may be the motion.

I find it much more comfortable and effective to watch from a bit further away. If I'm missing some detail so be it but it's different when the details meld togherther than when it's not there in the first place. I am watching the Mets game and like the world cup games I sat up close as I enjoyed the life like quality and I was fine. But I can't watch CSI from so close or any fast action movies. I always take technical charts with a grain of salt and decide for myself what works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobancle View Post
This baloney about 10', 15', or more is from the old days when there was no high def and the screens were not that good. If you've got one of these really old DLP's that look like crap you know what I mean.
I know what you mean but if you look at my sig you'll notice I have a less than one year old Toshiba which doesn't have that problem. If you are happy watching from the "optimal" distance that's fine. I'm not and prefer a few feet back that's all.

Samsung LCD, Emotiva Lmc-1 pre-amp, Rotel RMB-1075 power amp, B&W Nautilus 805 "book shelf" speakers etc.

Last edited by synmag; 2006-10-05 at 11:19 PM. Reason: mets game is on tonight not the yankees.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in