Videotron announces Sportmax offering (NFL, NHL and MLB Combined) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-09, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Videotron announces Sportmax offering (NFL, NHL and MLB Combined)

Videotron announced last week that effective August 31, the company will begin to offer its digital cable customers a trio of new sports packages called Sportmax.

The new offering will include NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice and MLB Extra Innings.

For consumers who are only interested in one sport, the company will also offer each package separately.

Sportmax will be launched in August in the Greater Montreal Region, and this fall in the Outaouais, Saguenay and Bas-Saint-Laurent Regions. The service will be extended to the Quebec City Region between now and January 2007, and will finally be launched in the Estrie region by July 2007.

The three-package set will be offered to digital cable customers for $360 a year ($29.99 per month with a minimum 12-month subscription).

NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice and MLB Extra Innings can also be ordered separately for $179.99, $199.99 and $159.99 respectively.

Source: Videotron Press Release

Last edited by hugh; 2006-08-10 at 09:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-10, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Deleted some posts that may be confusing to folks but one note.

The company press release quoted Saturday August 31st as the first date for Sportmax. Since the 31st is a Thursday, the PR folks obviously made a mistake so I have edited the previous post to simply August 31st.

For anyone who is interested, I would recommend you contact Videotron directly and confirm when it begins in your area.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-12, 06:46 PM

I'm in the Montreal area and i wonder on what channels the games will be on. I phoned Videotron and subscribed for all 3 sports and the sales lady thought there would be only 3 channels lol

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-13, 09:21 AM

I found out that the NFL Sunday Ticket will be available between channels 381 and 394 but nothing about the baseball package for september, i have a feeling it will be only available next april.

Last week there were a few ads in le Journal De Montreal for the new Sportmax package...the ad says we can watch 500 NFL games!!!! I checked the Directv Sunday Ticket schedule and 220 games are available, so i don't know how they came up with 500 games.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-13, 01:15 PM

Question mlb extra innings in sept.

It seems to me that MLB. extra innings has to be there in sept. Since i will subscribe to Sportmax that covers all 3 sports MLB NFL NHL it has to be there for 29.99 a month what do you think
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-15, 11:27 AM

I guess i was right about the baseball package, it will be available for the 2007 season. Here's the link, it's in french but at the bottom of the page it says: MLB Extra Innings available for the 2007 season.

http://www.videotron.com/services/fr...s/sportmax.jsp

It really stink because there will be some great games, the wildcard races in both leagues are very exciting.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-15, 11:38 AM

Question mlb extra innings

It says the 3 sports for 29.99 a month but if you subscribe only to MLB you will be able to subscribe in 2007. i will inquire
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-15, 12:33 PM

Thumbs down mlb extra innings

Just spoke to a csr. who confirmed that MLB. will be offered in 2007 only. So their ad. of 3 sports for 29.99 is false no bseball during the sept.races is stupid if you pay for Sportmax
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-17, 12:36 PM

Smile Sportmax channel position

Channel 430 NFL HD
431 to 444 Sportmax 01 to 14
450 Sportmax HD
453 to 463 Sportmax 23 to 33
This info comes from the Illico guide in Montreal
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-17, 02:56 PM
sbn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilouga
Just spoke to a csr. who confirmed that MLB. will be offered in 2007 only. So their ad. of 3 sports for 29.99 is false no bseball during the sept.races is stupid if you pay for Sportmax
So to fully reap the benefits of your monthly investment, either you wait until the hockey season starts, and miss almost two months of football, in order to have two sports with your package, or you register before the NFL season starts and pay the full fee without baseball, even though their regular season is not over yet.

Nice.

Samsung Plasma HPP4261, SA 8300HD, 3250HD, Sirius Sportster Replay, Sirius One.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-17, 04:33 PM

Gilouga...i think ch.430 is NFL Home and not HD, if you look closely at ch.430 it says NFLHO not HD so when the games are on you can check that channel and see all the information about the games in progress like scores, stats and the schedule.

Same thing for ch. 450, probably sports home for the NHL, Dish Network in the USA has a channel like that, it gives the scores of the games in progress, also gives you the schedule and the channels that the games are on.

This is just a guess on my part so i might be completely wrong lol
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-17, 05:03 PM

Unhappy

I am afraid you may be right my mistake or wishfull thinking that Vid. had enough space to add 2 hd channels
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-19, 01:25 AM

Thumbs up Actually do the math...it is a good deal

Starting September you're paying $29.99 and getting the NFL games until December. (NFL package alone is $180)
In October you're getting the NHL games until June. (NHL alone is $200)
In Mar/07 you're getting the MLB games until October. And not to hard to figure out what MLB will cost alone.

If they say you save $180 the suggestion is that the 3 packages would normally cost $540 for the year ($360+$180) that means MLB will be $160 for the year.($180+$200+$160=$540)

So normally then you'd be looking at $540/12= $45/month to see all 3.
Instead it's $30 savings $15 per month ($180)
Not too bad really. It makes sense really since they all overlap each other as well.

NFL ---------------------------------------------Sep************Dec
NHL Jan**************Apr------------------Oct**************Dec
MLB -----------------Mar*****************Oct---------------------

The package with all 3 sports is $30/month for 12 months which is $360 for the year. NFL and NHL would cost $380 for just the two of them which is $32/month for a 12 month subscription even though you'd only be watching them for 8 months combined so technically it'd average to $47/month for 8 months combined (or an average of $28/month for 7 months for NHL and average of $45/month for 4 months for NFL) and you spend 4 months watching nothing.
Presumably you're paying monthly rather than one flat cost of $360 (I presume if you buy them alone it's either averaged accross the season or a one shot cost) so you're not getting ripped off at all without MLB if you just subscribe in September since you're be paying $30/month for NFL then NHL gets tossed on in October and then MLB in March and it's still the same rate.

If you did just MLB and NFL then it's cost ya $20 more to include NHL Center ice ($160+$180=$340 total or $360/12 months)
For myself I'm a big NHL and NFL fan but am really not into MLB at all but I meanI spend $360 for the year and I'd still be saving $20 even since both combined are $380 otherwise.

It's friggin' tempting to do for September just to catch all NFL games. My team (Patriots) aren't on any major network until week 3. I'd also need a new receiver for my PC though so I could PVR some stuff and get full money's worth for the NHL side of things.

Here's hopin' Bell and the like follow suit and bring the price down even more.
Just figured I'd point it out because my bro-in-law did NFL ticket alone before through Bell and I thought the cost was crazy for such a short period but averaged into you bill with 2 other sports over an entire year is far more tempting.

Last edited by exnihilio13; 2006-08-19 at 01:38 AM.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-19, 09:30 AM

exnihilio...i know it's a good deal but the problem i have is this...the subscription is for 12 months starting sept.1 so i get the NFL and NHL in it's entirety but i will miss 1 month of baseball. If i don't renew next year i will miss the last month of the baseball season.

Since the deal starts this year in september why not give us the last month of the baseball season, 1 month this year and 5 months next year (april through august if i dont' renew) would mean 6 months of baseball, wich is a full season.

Anyway i am still wondering how i will be able to watch 500 NFL games this year as mentioned on their own website and ads in the papers. Am i missing something??? I asked 3 diff. sales rep and they can't come up with an answer for that one lol
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 2006-08-22, 09:46 PM

Smile Sportmax tomorrow

The Illico guide shows 14 games on wednesday august 23rd starting at 12:30 pm on position 432 and up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in