10 Reasons Why High Definition DVD Formats Have Already Failed - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-21, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

10 Reasons Why High Definition DVD Formats Have Already Failed

Interesting editorial by Clint Deboer at Audioholics.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...DVDsfailed.php

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-21, 07:04 PM
Digital Sage

Quote:
Heck, the concept of a shiny plastic disc was new – and quite frankly, it was the coolest thing to hit the technological shelf since solid state technology. In comparison, the high definition DVD formats, save the color of the business side of the disc, look exactly the same… and consumer confusion will surely follow.
The above really points out how clueless this guy is. Since the discs are the same size and shape consumers won't be impressed. Nice logic.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-21, 10:23 PM

Hi-def DVD would be a great thing, but not with 2 formats going head to head.
I too bet they both fail.
I still think Beta was better than VHS.
This time I wait to see which one wins.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-21, 10:50 PM
Digital Sage

Hollywood won't let both fail.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-21, 10:57 PM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99
The above really points out how clueless this guy is. Since the discs are the same size and shape consumers won't be impressed. Nice logic.
You've ignored the very valid point he makes immediately above that one, namely:
Quote:
Consumers came over in droves when CDs were released back in 1982. The new format offered not only a new digital media, but also a way to instantly access tracks across an entire “album”. Convenience, not technology, drove this format to almost instant consumer adoption. Fast forward a bit to 1997 when the first DVD player was released. Again, convenience, not technology, drove people to the market en masse. Unlike VHS tapes, the new DVD format was smaller, easily navigated and would not wear down over time like existing tape-based formats.
Yup. And I can see how, for high-def DVDs, no additional convenience plus a debatable increase in PQ for considerably more $$ = no sale. (Stuffing more "special features" onto a disc won't do it, either, especially for people like me who don't care for them.)
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-21, 11:12 PM
Digital Sage

debatable increase in PQ?

I really don't know why a prodiuct has to be totally different to be a success.

To suggest that a product that is only 2 months old is a failure is plain silly.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-21, 11:21 PM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
debatable increase in PQ?
Sure - there are a number of posts on this site alone regarding that.

Quote:
To suggest that a product that is only 2 months old is a failure is plain silly.
Agreed. But, although his assessment may be premature, he does make a number of very interesting points.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-21, 11:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Unlike VHS tapes, the new DVD format was smaller, easily navigated and would not wear down over time like existing tape-based formats.
I disagree. I don't watch DVD's because I can easlily navigate them. Actually, with all the non-fast-forwardable previews and warnings, I find them more cumbersome then VHS in some cases.
I watch DVD's for the sound and picture quality increases.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-22, 01:10 AM
Veteran

Very true but average joe cares little for PQ. Only perceived PQ matters.

What is more important is the coolness. Shiny disk, skipping tracks, no more memorizing the mantra "be kind, please rewind."

DVD's, like CD's, were leaps forward in technology that provided not only appreciably better sound and audio but also greater conveniance.

High-def DVD's dont blow regular well encoded DVD's out of the water, especially on an upconverting player. Joe six-pack is being asked to upgrade to the new technology, at a high cost, for little to no readily apparent advantage.

Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-22, 03:30 PM

I think this quote is very telling of the industry

"Studios are Conservative, Greedy and Unmotivated
Studios are so conservative in their practices as to consistently miss out on market advances – even those that can make them money (ie. Why is a computer company running the world’s most successful online music store?) The studios are not jumping on board the high definition DVD bandwagon just yet – and you can see the lack of titles to prove it. If the movie studios decided that HD DVD or Blu-ray (or both) was to be the next dominant format, it need only to flood the market with software titles and present a plan to roll back on DVD production over the next 10 years. Even though this would grant them the secure format that they seem to want (HD DVDs and Blu-ray discs promise to be much harder to rip or duplicate) there is no indication in the industry that this is taking place or even in the works. The studios are making money hand over fist with DVD they cannot seem to bring themselves to seriously initiate a new, unproven technology – even if it saves them from some other copyright headaches.
Add to this the fact that new titles are coming out at $30 a pop (and this down from an initial $35/title) and you have a really hard sell for consumers who are used to $15 titles at Wal-mart and the large electronics chains"

Bell 6400,4100,6141, Sony KDL70R550A
Garmin c340 265WT 1490T 295W 2460LMT PS3 BB Z30, ojocam Pro dashcam
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-22, 03:59 PM
Digital Sage

Most of my HD DVD titles are 18-22 USD. The movie studios are losing money hand over fist thanx to piracy.

The number of HD titles are probably the right size for this part of the life cycle.

DVDs are on going the way of the dodo. GET USED TO IT.
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-22, 04:10 PM
Digital Sage

Quote:
The movie studios are losing money hand over fist thanx to piracy.
I'm not so sure about this statement.

They are losing hand over fist on crappy expensive movies that nobody goes to watch.

They are making a TON of money on DVDs. Could they be making tons more, sure, but they aren't losing money.

Numbers I found were ~$20B sales in 2005 vs ~$6B lost due to piracy.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-22, 04:34 PM
Digital Sage

Let me re-word. Sure, they are making tons of money (more than the box office) but they could be making much much more money if piracy disappeared.
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-22, 04:49 PM
Digital Sage

The only problem is that it's really hard to put a true cost on the impact of piracy.

As a percentage of the DVD buying public, how many actually have access to the far-East copies? How many of those are actually sold?

I don't doubt there are lots of them sold but I'm sure the movie studios do their best to inflate the numbers to their benefit.

I'm still holding firm to my no HD DVD / BluRay purchase until next year.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 2006-06-22, 05:19 PM
Veteran

I think the studios ARE pushing for a next-gen video format. The DVD format has reached its peak and sales are starting to die off. They also want the stronger DRM locks, although I think they are still afraid at the moment of releasing HD content to the wild. Hardware companies also want to move forward because margins on players have dwindled away.

However, I dont' think piracy is having a large impact on movie sales in North America. Bandwidth is just getting to the point where movies can be downloaded in a reasonable time frame and at a semi-reasonable quality. We also don't have the large underground network of pirated DVDs that Asia does.

Quote:
Sure, they are making tons of money (more than the box office) but they could be making much much more money if piracy disappeared.
But at what cost? How far will the studios go to lock down their content to prevent piracy? At some point the regular, non-pirating user is going to but up against fair-play issues. So the studios need to decide if trying to stop every last pirate, who may or may not buy the pirated movie anyways, is worth alienating their buying audience.

Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in