NBA finals in HD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-06-13, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

NBA finals in HD

I searched for NBA to see if there were any threads and since I didn't find one I thought I post and comment on PQ. Everybody must be watching soccer but it's worth checking out some basketball. I'm not a huge basketball fan either but we have all caught ourselves watching HD programs for the sake of PQ and the first two games were pretty good too.

The games are on at 9:00 Pm EST tonight, Thursday, Sunday and next Tuesday and Thursday. I'm watching it OTA on ABC and the PQ is just amazing. It seriously rivals CRT. I don't know why but for some reason basketball looks the best of all sports events or maybe even of all HD programming to me. It must be the bright lights combined with the highly reflective waxed wood flooring and the rich colours of the uniforms.

Last time when I saw NCAA finals on OTA CBS a few months ago I guess it looked even better in 1080i. ABC OTA is 720P which is suitable for sports and still looks excellent. Check it out.

Sorry but I can't comment on HD on cable or satellite as I don't get HD through BEV vdsl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-06-14, 02:49 PM

nba is awesome in hd, last nights game was one of the best games ive seen this year...hopefully miami can win the next game and tie it up...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-06-15, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

yes it was a great game

I found the white fan "uniforms" very distracting and annoying!
As for the game I found the first two more enjoable to watch since there was more showmanship. While a close game can be exciting I don't like it when the play is broken up by time outs and intentional fouls at the end.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-06-16, 01:51 PM

Yea, NBA on ABC looks Ammmmaaaazing in HD. It seems to onli look good on ABC as well, the NBA playoffs on TNT (simulcasted on Sportsnet) didn't look as good as the ABC Finals. Anyways Go Miami!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-06-16, 04:01 PM
Veteran

I'm not a fan, but the HD BB has been nice to watch. IMO the PQ has been head and shoulders above the HD NHL playoffs.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-06-16, 04:05 PM
Digital Sage

Probably because basketball is HD friendly. A year or so ago somebody wanted to paint the ice blue so it looks better in HD. White is probably the worse colour to wow somebody with.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-06-16, 04:23 PM

I'll admit that I hate basketball but I gave the visual presentation in HD a fair shake on several different occasions and I don't think HD brings much extra to the table for basketball. The two major North American sports that HD really makes shine is hockey and football. HD brings huge improvements to the picture quality of those two sports. I don't even like football to any great degree either. (I'll watch the occasional CFL game and I loathe the NFL.)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-06-16, 06:26 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99
Probably because basketball is HD friendly. A year or so ago somebody wanted to paint the ice blue so it looks better in HD. White is probably the worse colour to wow somebody with.
I believe that was in Buffalo... I always thought the white ice looked fine
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-06-16, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipdrill407
Yea, NBA on ABC looks Ammmmaaaazing in HD. It seems to onli look good on ABC as well, the NBA playoffs on TNT (simulcasted on Sportsnet) didn't look as good as the ABC Finals. Anyways Go Miami!
I have been following NBA on HD since the playoffs started... Watch most of the Suns games as they made their run in the playoffs as I am a big Steve Nash fan. I agree that ABC is better than TNT... I think it is partly because ABC uses the "hovering cam" once in a while that really looks good on HD. This "hover cam" makes you feel like you are watching from the ringside/lower box area.

TNT is somewhat annoying because a large area on the bottom of the screen is taken by up by a "bar" which shows scores for other sports.

Last edited by cyclo; 2006-06-16 at 09:50 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-06-16, 09:25 PM
Veteran

I think the NBA is HD friendly because it's the only one where you can consistently see the sweat on the players' foreheads. And that's how HD sports was advertised years ago. I would rather an HD hockey broadcast, but I really don't see any improvement. Football is great when it's an outsdoor, daytime game.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-06-19, 12:58 PM

I completely agree that the basketball games are beautiful to watch, at least as far as looks go. I do think that its the colors and the glossy floor that are really captured well. The hover cam is a great view.

While I appreciate having hockey in HD and it does provide a little improvement in following the puck, reading player's jersey's, as far as looks go it is not as nice as any other sport. I'm hoping that at some point hockey broadcasters will zoom out, show more of the offensive zone and have a lot less camera movement. Until then HD is only a middling improvement for hockey.

Right now football and basketball benefit greatly from improved picture and slightly from wider screen. Hockey benefits only slightly from improved picture and hardly at all from the widescreen. Soccer gains the most, with a much nicer picture and the wide screen makes the biggest difference.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-06-20, 02:34 PM

Just out of curiousity, why aren't hover cams used more often. I think they provide a much better view, possibly better than even sitting courtside at the stadium.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in