CRTC TV Review November 2006 - The Future of TV In Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-06-07, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Ontario - Rogers - SA8300HD,S1 Tivo,S2 Tivo
Post CRTC TV Review November 2006 - The Future of TV In Canada

According to this article:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...echnology/home

The crtc is set to begin a review of television services for the first time since the 1990's.

So to those (like me) that HATE:
1 - Simulcasting
2 - Cancon requirements
3 - CanWest Global

Start getting those letters ready to send, the time will be soon that we can
finally tell those SOB's where to stick their simsubs!!

Damn the man, save the empire!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-06-10, 02:35 PM

So the CRTC is tooling up to let them put in more comercials in exchange for giving us more Cancon. We are going to get billed more to receive programming in SD we should be getting free OTA in HD allready. And the a bunch of your tax dollars are going to get shoveled to the broadcasters who are making record profits to get them to do HD.

Gee I can't wait.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-06-14, 10:09 PM

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-06-14, 10:47 PM
Veteran

The only way to get Canadian broadcasters to move to HD faster is to change the CRTC rules. They need deadlines and performance targets. If they don't meet these, they lose their HD licenses.

Todate, all we have is tongue wagging at conventions....taking us nowhere.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-06-14, 11:50 PM
Member #1

Are we really trailing though?

Globally we are way, way, way ahead of most countries. The only one we are behind is the USA but even then our lineup isn't that bad.

TSN and Sportsnet are doing well as is Discover HD and even CTV is trying with their Canadian programs.

I'd say 2nd in the world ain't bad!

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-06-15, 01:13 AM
Veteran

It's nice to see some people in the industry have some vision and the courage to express it. I've observed that anyone who even suggests we could be doing better get shots in the back from apologists and compromisers. Being 2nd in a 2 country race is nothing to brag about.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-06-15, 08:40 AM
Member #1

Japan has had HD for a lot of years and Australia and Britain have it now.

Since when do Britain, Australia and the rest of the G7 countries and Europeans not count as countries?

I'm the first to say that Canada could do better but why do people always downplay our acheivements?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-06-15, 11:04 AM

I say be happy with what you got but continue to push

for improvements. While you are doing that spare a thought for those who will not have never mind HD but SD for years. I talked to my cousin in Hungary recently and according to him they will START SD broadcasts in 2012! I'm not sure how we compare to the UK and AUS but 2nd to 4th in the world is pretty damn good if you ask me especially considering we get all the benefits of #1 by being able to watch their tv OTA. Now back to our regular programming.....
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-06-15, 12:54 PM

CRTC 2006-74: The future of HD in Canada!

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/No.../pb2006-74.htm

This puppy is the white paper for Canada's HD Future. I need to read it again a few more times but some Interesting points:

Technical quality
Paragraph 129

1. for the purposes of the framework set out in this public notice, the term "high definition" will encompass both the 720p and 1080i picture formats, as defined by the Advanced Television Systems Committee in its A/53 digital television standard;

2. low definition images subjected to line-doubling techniques or algorithms that stretch a 4:3 picture to fill a 16:9 screen will not be considered to be HD for the purposes of this framework; and

3. the program signals of pay and specialty services distributed by a BDU must be of the same quality and in the same format as those received by it, without any degradation.

Simultaneous substitution
Paragraph 131

Under section 30 of the current Regulations, specialty services may request that Class 1 and Class 2 BDUs perform simultaneous substitution, and the BDU is authorized, but not required, to perform the substitution.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!

Last edited by magnet; 2006-06-15 at 01:20 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-06-15, 01:18 PM

(continued...)
Paragraph 22:
Accordingly, the Commission will not at this time mandate specific deadlines for the transition of the pay and specialty services to HD.

Paragraph 34 & 67:
HD-transitional pay and specialty licensees be permitted to offer a maximum of 14 hours per week of programming that is not duplicated on their counterpart analog or SD versions.... programming must be in HD, must be at least 50% Canadian in origin, and must conform to the service’s nature of service definition

Paragraph 70:

The Commission will require that a minimum of 50% of the programming broadcast during the evening broadcast period, i.e., 6 p.m. to midnight, be HD programming. This amount equates to 21 hours per week of HD programming during the evening broadcast period.

minimum of 30% of the programming broadcast during the broadcast day be HD programming,

minimum of 50% of the programming broadcast during the broadcast day be in HD by the beginning of year six of the first licence term. and 50% of that be Canadian

Paragraph 77

once the benchmark threshold of 85% digital penetration is passed those SD services that have not made the transition to HD will retain their distribution rights, each to the equivalent of one SD digital channel.

Paragraph 107

guaranteed 3 HD PPV channels

Paragraph 180
Commission has decided not to prescribe linkage rules based on technical format. Distributors will therefore be free to package Canadian HD services with either HD or SD Canadian and non-Canadian services (maintaining the 5:1 ratio)

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-06-15, 01:43 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The OTA Forum has two threads going about the November CRTC Review because it seems that certain broadcasting interests would be happy to see OTA go away. One is a general discussion, and the other is a very specific thread about ways that OTA consumers can take part in the Review.

Because those threads are very specifically about OTA I have not merged them into this present thread.
CRTC Under Pressure To Eliminate OTA?
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=41343

CRTC OTA Review November 2006 Discussion Thread:
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=43537

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-06-15, 01:46 PM

This decision seems to be more of a White paper for distribution of HD by cablecos and satellite and phone companies (Called BDUs by the CRTC) and OTA would be a topic for another day.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-06-15, 01:47 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Ya, I think you're right. They'll be covering a lot of topics in this review (simsubbing, CanCon, HD, OTA, etc.)

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-08-10, 09:58 PM

Down at the bottom of the Canoe page, it says "The CRTC review announcement came a day after federal Heritage Minister Bev Oda ordered the regulator to look at what impact the rapidly expanding digital universe is having on Canada's broadcast industry."

I emailed Bev Oda about the status of HD in Canada and how the CRTC isn't pushing hard enough, shortly before this article was made. I wonder...

Sony 32XBR1, Antennas Direct CS2, Xbox360 & BD. Gamertag: "DT Vancity" <-- get it, DTV?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2006-08-10, 10:43 PM

A customer in Singapore was saying last nigth that they have 1 HD channel in local trials currently. I think Canada is doing decently enough, but I wish I could just use US cable systems if I wanted. I want more competition. On a side note I want to use US XM / Sirius, not Canadian ones. I hope the CRTC under the new government leadership starts pushing innovation a lot harder.

42" Panasonic Plasma / 20" LG LCD HDTV / Motorola DCT 6412p2 / Motorola 6200 / Shaw HD Digital Cable, Phone, Internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in