Official Toshiba HD-DVD Discussion (HD-XA1 and HD-A1) - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-05-16, 07:45 PM

Hi Guys,

Don't let all that HDMI/DVI footwork spoil your fun.

Remember that most of the work is being done by the player both video and audio.

Also it's the movie studio that decides if the analog or component connections to your hdtv can be used to show the 1080i layer and so far from what I've heard the studios have not restricted 1080i to HDMI or DVI and probably will not in the future. Apparantly BLU-RAY will follow suit.

All of this to say is if you display only has component in so far ,your fine (less headaches also) and if your processor is of an age that it doesen't decode DTS but has a set of 5.1 analog inputs use those for DTS (or everything including dvd-a) and your also fine.

So forget about HDCP?HDMI?DVI. Use component for video and coax,optical or your analogs for audio and you've got it made in the shade.

For those of you who have had your set ISF calibrated and didn't have a DVI source for that input to be calibrated, you should absolutely use component.

If the preceeding doesn't work, take 2 asperins and bring the Tosh back in the morning.

Peter M.

Dyslexia,"for a cure found"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-05-16, 08:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter m. wilson
Hi Guys,

Don't let all that HDMI/DVI footwork spoil your fun.

Remember that most of the work is being done by the player both video and audio.

Also it's the movie studio that decides if the analog or component connections to your hdtv can be used to show the 1080i layer and so far from what I've heard the studios have not restricted 1080i to HDMI or DVI and probably will not in the future. Apparantly BLU-RAY will follow suit.

All of this to say is if you display only has component in so far ,your fine (less headaches also) and if your processor is of an age that it doesen't decode DTS but has a set of 5.1 analog inputs use those for DTS (or everything including dvd-a) and your also fine.

So forget about HDCP?HDMI?DVI. Use component for video and coax,optical or your analogs for audio and you've got it made in the shade.

For those of you who have had your set ISF calibrated and didn't have a DVI source for that input to be calibrated, you should absolutely use component.

If the preceeding doesn't work, take 2 asperins and bring the Tosh back in the morning.

Peter M.
DVD-A high resolution cannot be played. But you can play the DTS track from the DVD-A... and with great results.

As for DVI, the HD-A1 is the first chance I had for using my DVI input. My picture calibration with AVIA vs Component, is a slight adjustment to Brightness. But the biggest change was changing the color temperature from Cool to Warm. And that was very important.

One who has HDMI or DVI TV input should make every effort to use it and make it worth well. I would not keep my HD-A1 if using my DVI was not possible or a big headache. No need to be surprised one day with an ICT Flag downrezing Component to 540p.

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #108 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-05-16, 08:49 PM

Hi,

If you have the HDMI handshake working for both video and audio through your processor dvd-a will work because they are both HDCP compliant.

DVI is also HDCP compliant but does not pass audio. Coax or optical digital audio inputs are not HDCP compliant and will not pass dvd-a.

As I mentioned before, if you attach the 5.1 analogs from the player to the processor you will be able to play a DVD-A by choosing EXT or mltich on your processor as well as the corresponding program on the Tosh (might read PCM/Bistream instead of just bitstream) or it might specifically say MLP layer.

Once you've connected the analogs you can use them for everything audio at the highest res available.

If your happy with DTS audio great but once you've heard the MLP trac (which is possibly also available as the DD trac on the film) you'll never go back.

Peter M.

post #109 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-05-16, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter m. wilson

As I mentioned before, if you attach the 5.1 analogs from the player to the processor you will be able to play a DVD-A by choosing EXT or mltich on your processor as well as the corresponding program on the Tosh (might read PCM/Bistream instead of just bitstream) or it might specifically say MLP layer.

Peter M.
I'm a bit confused as far as the audio selections that you can choose for on the HD-A1. I've only tried two HD DVDs and on both occasions, my receiver seems to be only able to decode in 2 channels. I have it connected via the coax digital connection on the Yamaha (RX-V992) but it sounds like it's only outputting 2-channel audio. My receiver is able to decode 5.1 Dolby digital but not DTS and it works great with regular DVDs. The specs for the receiver are here:

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...VR00010RX-V992

Does anyone out there know the best way to get the dolby digital 5.1 sound out of the HD-A1 via this Yamaha (while watching HD DVD) or do I need to purchase another audio receiver? This receiver does not have 5.1 analog inputs, only coax and optical digital inputs. The optical input is being used by my satellite receiver. It seems like the specs for HD DVD may not output DD 5.1 or am I just missing something?
post #110 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-05-16, 11:06 PM

Hi

Make sure theres no disc in plyr. press plyr stup audio section.
choose bitstream for everything. reboot plyr. put in movie, now try dd 5.1

peter m

post #111 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-05-17, 07:35 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan
I'm a bit confused as far as the audio selections that you can choose for on the HD-A1. I've only tried two HD DVDs and on both occasions, my receiver seems to be only able to decode in 2 channels. I have it connected via the coax digital connection on the Yamaha (RX-V992) but it sounds like it's only outputting 2-channel audio. My receiver is able to decode 5.1 Dolby digital but not DTS and it works great with regular DVDs. The specs for the receiver are here:

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...VR00010RX-V992

Does anyone out there know the best way to get the dolby digital 5.1 sound out of the HD-A1 via this Yamaha (while watching HD DVD) or do I need to purchase another audio receiver? This receiver does not have 5.1 analog inputs, only coax and optical digital inputs. The optical input is being used by my satellite receiver. It seems like the specs for HD DVD may not output DD 5.1 or am I just missing something?
For SPDIF digital connection, the DD Plus codec must be decoded by your a/v receiver. And receivers that don't have DD Plus are treating the codec as DTS. But then, the receiver must be able to decode.

And then your receiver doesn't have multichannel inputs. That makes two strikes against your present receiver as DD TrueHD and DTS-HD core decoded by the player must be transmitted by the analogs.

You could look into getting a new receiver with DD and DTS decoding plus 6 Channel analog inputs or one with HDMI switching to enable 5.1 audio.

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #112 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-05-17, 09:07 AM

Hi,

This http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=21310

Peyter M.

post #113 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-05-17, 09:20 PM

Thanks mfabien and Peter. The article says the following:

"... Unfortunately, the decision to re-encode everything as DTS means that viewers with Dolby-only A/V receivers (who don't also have HDMI or multi-channel analog inputs) are left out in the cold...."

This is just as I thought. I'm thinking of waiting until the fall to see if any A/V receiver manufacturers will have them with DD+, TrueHD or DTSHD. Who knew back in 1999 when I bought the Yamaha that I would need DTS 7 years later?
post #114 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-05-19, 01:00 AM

Burning HDV Content to regular DVD and Playing on the A1

HAs anyone tried to burn HD Mpeg content to a DVD and then try playing it on the Toshiba A1? It is possible to burn this content (HD Camcorder video) that much I know, and have heard rumors they will play on the A1. If that was the case buying the A1 would solve a problem until direct HD-DVD burners appear. A Dual Layer reqular DVD will hold about one hour of HDV content, luckily that's the same size as most tapes for HDV camcorders.
post #115 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-05-20, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobancle
HAs anyone tried to burn HD Mpeg content to a DVD and then try playing it on the Toshiba A1? It is possible to burn this content (HD Camcorder video) that much I know, and have heard rumors they will play on the A1. If that was the case buying the A1 would solve a problem until direct HD-DVD burners appear. A Dual Layer reqular DVD will hold about one hour of HDV content, luckily that's the same size as most tapes for HDV camcorders.

Yes, HD Mpeg2 content plays back beautifully on the A1. You are correct, a dual layered DVD hold from 60 to 90 minutes of HD video , depending on the bitrate. I've made several HD-DVDs thus far using dual-layered media.

Marc.
post #116 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-05-20, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCanuck
Yes, HD Mpeg2 content plays back beautifully on the A1. You are correct, a dual layered DVD hold from 60 to 90 minutes of HD video , depending on the bitrate. I've made several HD-DVDs thus far using dual-layered media.
Marc.
One other question: The manual says it only plays DVD -R DL, but I didn't seem to have any issue playing stuff I recorded on DVD +R DL media, any comments anybody. +R DL media is cheaper than -R DL and easier to find.
post #117 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-06-01, 01:11 PM

1. just in case this hasn't been mentioned - the HD-XA1
just got a pretty stellar review in S&V magazine:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...rticle_id=1473

2. I checked out HD-A1 at BB last weekend, and the HD
PQ was impressive, but SD(480p, I presume) was not.
I hope the HD-XA1 is really much better in that department
post #118 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-06-01, 07:34 PM
Digital Sage

Both machines have the same guts.
post #119 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-06-01, 08:26 PM

Hi

From what I've read about the level of HIRES audio on the discs that have been recently released is that only one has a Dolby-TruHD trac and it's only 2ch.

As an early adopter I'm pleased that (so far) the studios supporting both camps are not dnrezing component inputs (kiss of death) so I don't undestand why Tosh did not put 7.1 ch analog outs on their first machines for those of us whithout HDMI inputs. I doubt that the studios will allow the tranferrance of MLP lossless encoding over coax or optical input now.

In anycase its software that sells hardware and maybe the studios told Tosh that it would be a while before they would be releasing movies with 7 lossless channels.

I've been scaling film to 1080i for years now and so I've become accustomed to a pretty good picture (but quickly admit that HD-DVD blows away even cable broadcast HD), and since I already have over 300 dvd-a/sacd discs I also have experienced audio that is head an shoulders above most standard cds so for me the buying trigger would be the Audio more than the video.

Whenever I watch/listen to "Lord ofThe Rings" in DTS-ES Discrete and imagine that this is bush league compared to the Audio thats coming, I start to drool.

I'm already saving my pennies because my jump will probably include a HIRES Combination player as well as a display that is native 1080p. I got pretty excited there when my brother bought a Sony "RUBY" for about $10,000 but now that I have more time on my hands and use my present HD display for everything including PC monitor, I think the cost of bulb replacement would do me in.

I don't have the exact quote but I tend to agree with Bill Gates when he suggested that these new HIRES players will be the end of Hardware delivered Media, and if we add to that the fact that right now, all many people need is a HDMI cable to deliver it.

There's interesting times ahead.

Peter M.

post #120 of 148 (permalink) Old 2006-06-15, 11:31 PM

FS is out of stock expecting more in two weeks

I haven't been following the hd-dvd/br saga recently and when I read through this thread and saw they are for sale I went to FS at Yonge/Gould to see it. They have it demoing on a Tosh 37" lcd and the demo disk with the movie previews look excellent even on the 37" and from what I read the difference is all that more noticeable on 50"+ displays which I have. Hmm...must resist temptation.

The interesting thing is the finish of the player matches my H/K receiver exactly with the silver bottom and black smoked glass top.

I consider myself pretty up to date on the latest A/V tech but after having read the reviews I've got some reading to do! What was Tosh thinking making the first player so user unfriendly?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in