Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Spotify family plan

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  17671 
#1 ·
My wife and I both use the free versons of Spotify as does my son. We (wife and I) live in the interior of BC, my son lives in the Vancouver area.
Does anyone know if Spotify checks locations etc? I'm thinking if one of us signed up for the family plan we can all get the "premium" deal for pretty cheap or will they know we don't all live under the same roof which I think is one of their stipulations?
Would be nice to get rid of the ads and be able to download music and play when there's no data available.
Thx.

#5 ·
My in-laws gave me an account on Family plan, I live in a different household and it works fine. I do not think they can limit Spotify to one network connection or Location or IP, it defeats the purpose of it. Spotify is meant to work on mobile cellular connections, on home Wi-Fi, people use it at work, people use it on their smart speaker, and people even use it in their car, right there that's 5 different network connections a family can use, for Spotify, there's no way they can and should block it otherwise you will not be able to use it freely as per designed.

#8 ·
I had a rental car a few months ago from General Motors. The Stereo Entertainment Console had built in cellular Data which you can connect your Android or Apple devices to, and then you can use Spotify on your Android Auto Carplay or Apple Auto Car play, I was able to change songs right from the head-unit and steering wheel controls, at no point did I have to touch my phone. The music plays thru the car's speaker system.

#9 ·
Or.. if your car does not have built in cellular data (which costs money by the way), I do know that a LOT of people use their Cell Phone Data plan for streaming Spotify while they drive around town. Both my in-laws are guilty of doing this, but yes they still control their Spotify thru the Radio Console and at no point do they touch their handset to change the songs while driving.

#11 ·
I DON'T have unlimited data on my cell phone. I actually do NOT listen to Spotify in my car. I only did it the 2 days I had a rental and I was using the Car's data plan not mine. I am saying merely that Spotify family plan does not have to be in the same geographic house or location to be considered a family / family plan. It can and will work on cars which move around, on smart speaker, on computers and tablets which move around, on smart TVs which are fixed and as well on phones which also move around. So there you have it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.