Spotify giving away Google Home Minis - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-10, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Spotify giving away Google Home Minis

Not sure what forum this goes on, but if you sign up for Spotify premium right now, you get a free Google Home Mini delivered in Canada. Pretty sweet deal.

https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/premium/

Looks like no commitment, so you can just cancel a month later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-10, 02:11 PM
Rookie

Existing subscribers too.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-10, 05:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
Not sure what forum this goes on, but if you sign up for Spotify premium right now, you get a free Google Home Mini delivered in Canada. Pretty sweet deal.

https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/premium/

Looks like no commitment, so you can just cancel a month later.
Only commitment is one month of paid subscription.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-10, 05:50 PM
Veteran

First month is free. I wouldn't take one of these if they paid me. They are too invasive and may get hacked by third parties.
Gentleman likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-10, 06:59 PM

Just to be clear, the speaker promo isn't available during the free trial.
DSgamby likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-10, 10:28 PM
Veteran

It's in the fine print. "Trial users not eligible." Subscribers may be eligible to receive the Google Home Mini after making a payment at the end of the free trial. Getting a free trial now won't work because the offer expires on May 9. People who signed up for the free trial before April 9 and make a payment by May 9 should be eligible, if there are any left.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-11, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah it doesn't work if you start a trial now. I just signed up directly without the trial and had the mini ordered within 15 minutes. Existing subscribers should be able to get it if they aren't on trial, and should be able to when their trial ends.

Weirdly, I saw some chatter that family plans were also not eligible. Not sure what's up with that.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-11, 08:55 AM

I signed up yesterday around 4 pm for 9.99 per month. Didn't receive any emails for GHM.

Many people who created an account after 10 AM yesterday are in the same boat according the forum started for this promotion. Probably running low on stock or the system is overloaded to generate the promo code.

People are saying that makes sure to use the same credit card in google store as the one that Spotify account was created, since the GHM has to be ordered from there using Spotify promo code. Otherwise it wont go through and then u need a new promo code!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-11, 09:42 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
First month is free. I wouldn't take one of these if they paid me. They are too invasive and may get hacked by third parties.
None of these units have been hacked yet - I guarantee if they do, Google will be quick to fix it. The invasive argument I'll take, but otherwise take off the tinfoil hat.

That said, perhaps we should take this discussion to a new thread to avoid getting off topic.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Marc likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-14, 01:55 AM
Veteran

Signed up April 11, got notified and its on its way April 12. I will say when I first clicked on the promo link it showed "chalk" out of stock, "charcoal" coming soon.
I refreshed the page a couple of times and the "chalk" one was in stock magically.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-14, 07:44 PM

I don't know of any hacks but i had a unusual situation a few months ago. I went home for xmas (Calgary) and got a mini for a gift. Set it up at my daughters house with 3 other units, then brought it down to Mesa AZ. I was listening to a radio station back here in Mesa, when all of a sudden my grandson's voice came on that somebody was at the door. So I called back to my grandson in Calgary and confirmed that he said someone was at the door. I thought these things were only supposed to work on the same router.
Gentleman likes this.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-15, 10:05 AM
Veteran

meh, nothing is free in this world, there is always some advantage to a company for this. You get a shiny new google home mini, spotify increases their revenue by a few subscribers, even if they forget to cancel right away, and the thing you do not see is the information collected about you behind the scenes which is more valuable than anything which is used to make these companies filthy rich. Yeah we as consumers need to see beyond the "Get a free google home mini" promotions. In the end, someone else is winning in the end instead of us.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-15, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
None of these units have been hacked yet - I guarantee if they do, Google will be quick to fix it. The invasive argument I'll take, but otherwise take off the tinfoil hat.
That's funny.

Not too long ago, a seminar was held in London On by CTV's Technology Analyst // Digital Account Manager and his lecture was about the pending tsunami of hacks of the IOT's. There have already been cases of similar devices hacked, and like ExDilbert, I wouldn't have one of these devices in my home even if you paid me.

https://www.csoonline.com/article/32...sdroppers.html

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-15, 10:19 AM

Mitigating the Security Risks on Amazon Alexa and Google Hom

Anyone contemplating these devices might want to read this valuable document.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1805.01525.pdf

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2019-04-15, 11:07 AM
Veteran

I am certainly aware of the risks with personal voice assistants. I live a very simple life, I do not use them to control any lighting or appliances or alarm systems in my house, those are nice to have but not necessary. I also do not enable skills. I have no need for those. I mainly use it to ask what the weather forecast is, what time the LCBO or other stores open/close, I also use it to listen to the Radio via the built in Tuned In app. And that's about it. Nothing else really. and since I have young kids who one of them can speak very well, I simply press the "mute" button on the Amazon Echo Dot and it stops listening for all voice commands, its that easy. who would have thought pressing one button can protect you from voice attacks and such, its so easy just the push of a button. and to turn it back on press the button again, its as easy as apple pie. cant get any easier. oh and thanks for that important document

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in