Nasa TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-09-20, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Nasa TV

The Nasa TV channel is freely available on the web at www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html.

Rogers had it on a channel in the 500s when I had their cable service. It doesn't have much new original programming, but has live coverage of launches, landings, space walks, and press conferences.

A launch of a SpaceX unmanned cargo vehicle to the International Space Station had been scheduled for last night, but was delayed by weather. At last word, it had been rescheduled for 1:52 am EDT Sunday morning (or Saturday night depending on your time zone).
http://www.space.com/27219-spacex-dr...d-weather.html

On Sunday evening the Maven space probe will be inserting itself into orbit around Mars, although I assume the Nasa TV coverage won't have much that is all that interesting to see, likely just shots of a control room and interviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-11-29, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Orion test flight

The launch of Orion Exploration Flight Test-1 is scheduled for Thursday Dec. 4 at 7:05 a.m. EST, and Nasa TV coverage will begin at 4:30 a.m. and continue through to splashdown approximately 4.5 hours after launch.
http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/novem...n-flight-test/
http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv

Scheduled for later the same day is a launch of an Ariane 5 to put two satellites in orbit (one is DirecTV-14) from the Guiana Space Centre, with a webcast available at arianespace.tv to begin at 3:23 p.m. EST with launch window being 3:38 to 4:48 p.m.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-11-30, 03:02 PM

If NASA TV is freely available, why cable and satellite providers don't offer it for free on the most basic package?

I know a few other channels that offer a free LIVE stream online (legally from the station's website) but make you pay extra for watching on cable/satellite.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-12-04, 10:55 AM

Launch scrubbed until Friday. Quality of the streaming picture is excellent.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-12-04, 10:12 PM
Veteran

A comment to post # 3

When I was on Cogeco, I inquired about NASA TV and was told they couldn't carry it.

Very recently, when talking to Bell (current Bell Fibe sub) I asked about NASA TV and again, was told they couldn't carry it as it's not allowed in Canada.

I'm sure I've seen it on the eligible channels list that can be distributed via BDU on the CRTC site...

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-12-04, 10:26 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Perhaps you should ask them why Rogers is able to carry it, but they can't. It's on ch. 579 in Mississauga.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-12-05, 01:02 PM

Here's my opinion on why internet streaming isn't ready for prime time yet.

So this Friday morning my gym schedule coïncided with the reported launch of Orion and I was not about to miss that. So I took the ipad to the gym with me and tuned to the Nasa TV channel (through the Nasa TV app). Well lo-and-behold as the countdown fell below two minutes, the feed started to stutter until it completely froze as the rocket took off. I guess there were too many people climbing on board to watch it.

Quickly I quit the Nasa Tv app and started my trusty old Sling client already tuned to a Nasa TV SD feed (just in case) and there it was, no stuttering.

In my book, internet streaming isn't ready for live events.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-12-05, 01:31 PM

To #5, Rogers have NASA TV on channel 254, but you need VIP or other extra package to get it.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-12-05, 10:44 PM

I just installed a new c-band satellite and as luck would have it, I scanned in 3 Nasa channels from orbital position 105west. Two of the channels were in HD and one was standard definition.

Excellent coverage today of the rocket launch. Well done, Nasa!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-12-06, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

The delayed Ariane 5 launch is set for today (Sat., Dec. 6), with a webcast to begin at 3:25 p.m. EST.
http://www.arianespace.tv/

The New Horizons probe on its way to Pluto is to be 'awakened' from hibernation tonight (Dec.6) with a webcast to start at 9 p.m. EST, although I would suspect there likely won't be much that would make for exciting viewing.
http://www.space.com/17933-nasa-tele...-space-tv.html

Regarding why more cable/satellite/IPTV companies don't carry NasaTV, it is on the CRTC list of approved non-Canadian channels, but it has so little new content that I don't think it would be worth taking up the bandwidth or channel position. It was borderline three or four years ago when it would rotate through a reasonable amount of their archived material. That was then relegated to after midnight, then eliminated, and I think since a government shutdown last year took them entirely off TV and the web for a couple of weeks, they can be repeating the same very small amount of programming for weeks at a time, except when there are the live events like yesterday.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-12-06, 04:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
but it has so little new content that I don't think it would be worth taking up the bandwidth or channel position.
How is that any different from Discovery with their endless repeats of Mayday?

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-12-06, 05:12 PM

Branding. Marketing.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-12-06, 06:31 PM
Veteran

And if you've *never* watched it before, for a while it will be "new". :-)

What irks me though, is saying it's legally not available, when it is. Had both BDU's been honest, and said, "yes, we could carry it but not enough uptake" then at least that would be an honest answer....

The lying has got to end...

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-12-12, 08:24 AM
Veteran

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_TV

Canadian broadcasting ban

Prior to 2007, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) prohibited NASA TV from being aired by local satellite and cable providers within Canada, with the exception of specific broadcast events. Under existing CRTC rules, a cable or satellite provider had to offer a minimum amount of programming from companies owned and operated by Canadians. Additionally, CRTC stated in September 2000 that there simply was not enough room left under the analog television frequency allocation scheme, and standards for dealing with foreign digital television signals had not been finalized.[10] On April 20, 2007, the Commission issued a notice stating that after receiving an initial request from Mountain Cablevision and support from other Canadian broadcasters and members of the public, NASA TV had been added to the lists of eligible satellite services.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 2015-01-05, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

A SpaceX cargo vehicle is scheduled to be launched to the International Space Station tomorrow (Tuesday, Jan. 6) at 6:20 a.m. EST, and an attempt will made to land the rocket's first stage on a platform floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
http://www.space.com/28156-spacex-da...t-webcast.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
How is that any different from Discovery with their endless repeats of Mayday?
If Discovery showed almost nothing else except the same particular one episode for two or three weeks, then it would be comparable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in