New site is tracking your Torrents - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-09, 08:31 AM
Rookie

^^^^ Is it possible one of your ISP's upstream servers are in Orleans?

Cameron

Last edited by CamDAB; 2014-03-09 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-09, 10:19 AM
Rookie

Question

@Cameron

I'm not to good with computers, so I can't really answer that question. Not sure about these upstream servers you are talking about.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-09, 11:56 AM
Rookie

I used to do a "tracert" from a command prompt a lot when I was with previous ISP's who would blame me for making errors trying to reach sites when in fact the Trace Route command would ping all the servers that were currently listed as being the route from me to wherever I was trying to get to and invariably some of those turned out to be either down, misconfigured or whatever as using alternative ISP routing would show the destination sites actually being up and on-line, to which the ISP then would admit it was their fault....

Now, the trace route command does NOT identify the actual location of upstream servers... So where the identification of your location is taking place I don't know, and it probably would be hard to determine, at least from a user standpoint.

Cameron

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-09, 02:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Interesting site. It also debunks Canadian ISP propaganda that people using torrents on third party reseller ISPs are overloading the incumbents' networks with torrent downloads. According to the ScanEye database, the leading ISP for torrents is Bell Canada. It's followed by Shaw Communications, Rogers Cable, Bell Aliant and Telus Communications. TekSavvy Solutions, the first reseller on the list, comes in at #6, quite a bit behind any of the others. It also debunks the theory that low data caps are needed to deter torrent downloading. TekSavvy Solutions has offered consistently higher caps, lower penalties for exceeding caps and more reasonably priced unlimited plans during the same period.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-10, 12:46 AM
Rookie

Perhaps most torrent users with TekSavvy are using a VPN?
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-10, 01:35 AM
Rookie

How easy is it for someone to spoof an IP address when downloading a torrent?
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-10, 11:46 AM
Rookie

The databases that link an IP address to a location are based on records from your ISP, are they not? If someone really tried they might be able to link it to your exact street address but that would certainly get into the realm of a violation of your privacy. Companies like Google, Apple, BB and Microsoft could likely link your external IP to your street address but we wouldn't like them to do so.

For example, if MCIBUS has an iPhone or iPad and acesses iCloud services from IP 63.123.123.123 while at 24 Sussex Drive in Ottawa every day via the wired internet then that is likely his home IP address and we know the exact geographic location thanks to GPS or aGPS. Or if Apple tracks your location via GPS, like with find my iPhone, they can know what adress you sleep at every night and they may know your IP address at each moment of the day, assuming that you use Wifi while at home. Putting two and two together they can figure out where you live. They could do this if they wanted to. Do they? Who knows.

Google was also building a database of home wifi WAPs with their Streetview program, remember that? Didn't they say they deleted that info.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-10, 05:11 PM
Rookie

Probably true but this thread is about sites tracking torrent downloads.

Quote:
Perhaps most torrent users with TekSavvy are using a VPN?
I'd say it's not significantly more likely than customers at any other ISP, at least not until proven. TSI is a much different company today than it was 5 years ago and so are its customers.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-10, 05:31 PM

What about IP addresses that keep rolling? My IP changes about 3 or 4 times a year. LAst time I checked the IP checker for torrents, I had about 30 or so files. When I check a few months later, it was down to 5. Funny thing is yes I did used torrents to get HD shows on TV that I have missed but none of these showed up in the files they listed.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-10, 05:32 PM
Rookie

A pretty pointless website............just out there to scare you. The data shows nothing other than potential torrents by IP address, which are very dynamic especially if your ISP using DHCP.
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-10, 05:35 PM
Rookie

^^^^
I have DHCP from Rogers and my IP address rarely changes, unless I change hardware or Rogers reconfigures the network.
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-10, 07:07 PM
Rookie

I have DHCP from Telus and it changes regularly, logging into the router shows how long the IP lease has left (I think its every 90 days), I can also trigger it renew my IP address manually.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-10, 07:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Interesting site. It also debunks Canadian ISP propaganda that people using torrents on third party reseller ISPs are overloading the incumbents' networks with torrent downloads. According to the ScanEye database, the leading ISP for torrents is Bell Canada. It's followed by Shaw Communications, Rogers Cable, Bell Aliant and Telus Communications. TekSavvy Solutions, the first reseller on the list, comes in at #6,
But how many more customers does Bell have than Teksavvy? If Teksavvy has 1/10 the torrents of Bell, but 1/50 the number of customers then that would mean that a Teksavvy client is 5X more likely to be torrenting. Is that data available?
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-11, 12:14 PM
Rookie

It doesn't matter. Bell's claim was that TSI customers were overloading their network with torrent traffic. Bell used that claim to justify actions, such as throttling and back charges, to be applied to TSI users. This data largely debunks Bell's claims.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-03-11, 01:17 PM

Quote:
This data largely debunks Bell's claims.
This data doesn't prove anything. I had someone who has downloaded a few torrents check the site. There was only 1 torrent listed for his IP address, which was correct. However he was able to identify about 2 dozen other torrents in that timeframe and he's had the same address for over 2 years.

That works out to a 95% error rate (or more accurately 95% "missing data"). You can't make any statistical projections from data that is so inaccurate .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in