Make your PayPal account more secure - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-03-16, 02:11 PM

Thanks Hugh for the info.

Having been defrauded in December, I am more chicken than ever when it comes time to do online transactions. Anyway to get more secured is now welcome in this family.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-03-17, 01:32 PM

I have had these since they were first made available in Canada. I have one for paypal and one for ebay. I guess they must have changed things, because at one time you could only use each key for one site only, not for both sites at the same time.

The nice thing too is if they ever stop working they will replace them for free. $5 really is not bad when you think about it, they are basically just covering their costs and not making a profit off them.

It really does make a lot of sense to be using these, I have had my ebay account hacked before so this just adds another layer of security.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-03-17, 08:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBlue View Post
I find it funny that Paypal makes you pay to have your account more secure because they can't keep their site secure. I wonder how long it will be before banks start making you pay to get your bank account more secure?
It's not about Paypal being poor at maintaining security. While security breaches can happen inside a company, the fact that many users set up weak passwords and fall for phishing scams doesn't help things. Security is only as strong as the weakest link, and that's why Paypal is giving users the option of signing up for two-factor authentication.

post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 11:57 AM
Rookie

Thanks Hugh, I had never heard of this little device, I now have 2 on order and look forward to continue using Pay Pal and E-Bay with the added security these will provide.
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-03-21, 06:45 PM
Veteran

I use these for my work VPN. Provides very high level of security.
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-04-19, 06:18 PM

Well after a screw-up, I finally got my key. However, it isn't a USB key at all. It's the same size as a credit card. There is a small lcd screen on the top right hand corner and a Press button to change the numbers. I'd like to know where the battery is and the circuitry of it. It is so small and thin!!!

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-04-19, 07:19 PM
Rookie

Danster, that is what I just got too. Pretty sure I ordered the Key Fob style but got this Card.

I can only guess that the battery is good for a few thousand press's.?

No way I am even going to try to change the battery, not a hope.......lol

EDIT;

Just looked on the Pay Pal Site and there is no mention of another kind of physical key, maybe I was wrong then....

1. Security key: You carry this small credit-card sized device with you. It creates a unique security code on the go.
2. Mobile phone security key: You can sign up to get security codes sent by text message to your mobile phone.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-04-19, 09:52 PM
Veteran

I received my security awhile back and tied both my PayPal and eBay accounts to it. I too was surprised at the small size of the key - it's certainly not like any key fob I'm familiar with. I'm just hoping that it's durable and that whatever battery/power source its using is long-lasting.

edit: I checked out the website of the company that creates the security key. The battery life is supposed to last for 2 years or 10k activations. There's an embedded micro-OS, encryption algorithm chip, and battery in the card. Pretty impressive!

Last edited by Tezster; 2010-04-19 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added information
post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-04-20, 12:01 AM
Veteran

As for the display itself, it looks more like an e-ink display instead of an LCD (would explain why it can last up to 2 years or so even though it's always displaying a number).

Sure confused me when I grabbed the envelope and it was completely flat, as I was expecting some kind of key fob as well.
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-04-20, 04:51 PM

It's funny because the envellope was as big as a 8x11 sheet of paper. I was "feeling" to try and touch something big but I first thought someone had stolen it or something. Sure is a cool card.

post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-05-17, 07:48 PM

Thanks for this Hugh, just ordered one now. An extra layer of security is always a good thing
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-05-18, 09:33 AM
Veteran

Yes, the display is e-ink.

You can get similar security devices from Verisign, and use just one device for the services that use Verisign as a security provider. There may be other security master providers.
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-05-18, 04:43 PM
rpr

I just ditched the SMS option and got one of the cards. The SMS was just too unreliable. Sometimes it took a day for the SMS to come, which is hardly useful. Got the card the other day and it works perfectly.
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-05-27, 09:06 AM

Sounds cool.

Speaking of PayPal though, I've just received $50.00 USD from a friend of mine, and I've been waiting now for the Canadian dollar to continue to go down in value so I can redeem as much CAD from the $50 USD as possible
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 2010-06-15, 06:43 AM
Veteran

It's $5 per card. Once you have a card there is no additional cost to use it.

Tags
fraud , paypal , phishing , security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in