Join Date: May 2002
Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
A few comments regarding the CBC article, post 7.
1. Although there are some less expensive TiVo HD recorders, the ones that are similar to the $600 Cable PVRs are not really any less expensive, especially when IPG fees are factored in.
2. CableCARD was forced onto the providers in the US. Had that not been the case, the situation in the US would likely have been the same as here.
3. CableCARD was not introduced into Canada since it wasn't two-way and bombed in the US with extremely low penetration - see the CableCARD thread in this forum.
4. SD TiVo may have a larger following in the US, but it was introduced there much earlier than in Canada.
5. Digital channel penetration in Canada is much higher than in the US, and since the TiVo is kludgy to use with digital, not many people have used it and use the service provider's PVR.