Rosedale DS-1000 built in amp - 1" tweeter + 2x5" midrange + 8" subwoofer - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-03-23, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Rosedale DS-1000 built in amp - 1" tweeter + 2x5" midrange + 8" subwoofer

Hi - I've never heard of Rosedale (which I understand to be an affluent area of Canada) but have been offered a pair of DS-1000 floor stand speakers for £200 with the specs below which I wrote down from the manual - they are boxed and brand new, but I'm dubious to take up the offer without looking at other options > i.e. what they are really worth and if I can find a similar set from a company which is easy to access in case of any faults (I'm fairly new to the world of speakers).

The only thing I can find out about Rosedale Acoustics is that they are owned by Vishorn Audio Equipment. Can anyone vouch for these guys? Also - with the specs below, can anyone suggest a similar product for me to consider?

Sensitivity - [email protected]/1M
Frequency Response - 28hz-20Khz +/- 3db
Power - 200w
2x3.5mm jacks - input sensitivity 200mv
4xRCA jacks - input sensitivity 400mv
Supply - AC-240V/50Hz
Dimensions - 815(h)*190(w)*305(d)

I noticed there are 4xRCA and 2x3.5mm outputs on the back of the main speaker and the manual stated its a 'digitally powered audio processor'.

Thanks for reading - I look forward to your reply,

Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-04-02, 12:16 PM
Veteran

Never heard of 'em.

Long live the console war! Buy 'em all! Just don't give Sony any of your Personal info!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-04-02, 12:24 PM
Premium Supporter

All I can find on Google is a reference to Rosedale being a 1970s model of Wharfedale speakers (Google wharfedale rosedale audiokarma.org), and a UK eBay listing for a pair with a starting bid of £69 (Google rosedale ds1000 ebay).

You appear to have posted your question on at least half a dozen other sites so, with any luck, if no one here is able to help you, perhaps someone on one of those sites will be able to.

Last edited by eljay; 2008-04-02 at 12:54 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2019-03-29, 02:05 AM

Cool The DS1000 facts

Let's clear the air shall we...... Here's the story...

Rosedale Speakers DS1000. The DS stands for "Double Set". That was the White speaker van terminology when 2 pairs were sold to the same person, (BTW, not always white, and not always a van). The 1000 represented what the monetary hopes were for selling a "DS", in GBP of course, (i.e. 1000 quid) . Indeed Vishorn were the manufacturer. These speakers were imported into Glasgow, and Glasgow only. There were about 300 or so pairs ever sold. Most of which were sold in and around Glasgow, but some in Dundee, Edinburgh and there were even a few pairs sold in Manchester. And yes, the Affluent Toronto neighbourhood of Rosedale was the influential brand name choice.

Although yes, they were a "White Van Speaker Scam" product, The speakers were built of much higher quality than any other speaker ever sold from a van. I know this because I was the designer, importer and salesman, and I had previously sold speakers from a van, managed "speaker shops" for 15 years. I knew everyone in the business, and we all had the same low quality stuff.

It all started a year or two before we hit the streets of the land of the "Jimmy's (Glaswegians will get that) which was 2006 I guess it was. I was wined and dined by 5 separate Chinese manufacturers for 2 weeks, spending days in sound rooms tweaking the sound. I turned down at least 12 prototypes. Vishorn produced the best speaker at the end of the day. Certainly not the cheapest. The best internal components (Yes including a somewhat respectable crossover) and ultimately the best sounding. I really wanted to create a kick ass speaker. And did. The one thing I did over look when designing the speakers though, was the lack of a scart connection .....opps! Sorry bout that! Hopefully you guys found an RCA to scart connector/adapter.

You see, ....I enjoyed selling speakers from a van back then. Every day was was an adventure. I could write a book. The problem was, all of the speakers that were manufactured for the "Speakerman", were crap. (By a few pretty solid American dudes, which I knew personally, because they used to send me to speaker shops around the U.S. to light fire's under the ass's of some of those lazy ****s). I wanted to change that. Enter Rosedale DS1000. When I first arrived in Glasgow I tested them out, literally cranking Frank Zappa. Pretty much disrupting the Glasgow morning rush. It was that loud. The base was deep, The mid's and high's were rich, and all frequencies were undistorted. Think about the U2 video where they were playing on the roof. It as like that, minus the prolonged attention. I guess I'm no Bono Eh!

Anyway, all I can say is there are people still inquiring about them 10 years later. Not complaining mind you, just inquiring. That in itself should tell you something. The truth is, anyone who owns a pair (or DS) of these speakers should be able to run them for years. Anyone who owns them knows that they can plug in a cell phone (mobile UK) using the 3.5mm line level jack on board, and rock. Look...... I'm not trying to say these speakers are Bose or B&W's or something, but better than any no name brand kicking around anywhere.

In conclusion. The Rosedale DS1000's were, and probably still are the very best "White van speaker scam" speakers ever sold. It's only a "scam" due to the justified stigmatization surrounding white van speakers in general. But that my friends all changed with the DS.

Hope this clears things up a bit. My flight is in prep for landing. Gotta go.... Thanks....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in