Power Bar (UPS, Surge, Etc) Info and Discussion - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 04:10 AM

At 90 replies and counting this is a big topic to read, so I hope I'm not repeating a previous post.

I would like to get a good rack mount power bar. I think it would look cool in my rack of half a dozen other componants (spaced and cooled). I've even seen some that have a retractable light (bling!).
What's your guys experience with them and can you recommend a good one at a reasonable price?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 11:09 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
80'sMan. This post is not intended to stop people from posting suggestions, however, you can use the "search this thread" function, right above your post to search for a keyword like "rack". There were a couple of previous posts in this thread.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #93 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 06:13 PM

Confused about UPS or Surge Suppressor

I just bought a new Sony Bravia and am a bit confused what sort of device I should use for power protection. I was wavering back and forth between a UPS and a surge suppressor, and ended up picking up the APC PF11VT3 surge suppressor with coax (is that even useful?), but now I'm not sure if that's the right choice.

Other than the TV, I will also have a Rogers HD PVR, and I'm highly considering getting an external SATA drive as well. I'm thinking maybe a UPS would be a better choice now, especially since I live in an apartment building that tends to have power outages, especially in the summer; I read that the lower end UPSes have square wave issues that may be problematic, however, I don't want to spend too much money on a UPS/surge protector. I'd also like to pick up whatever I buy ASAP, but I haven't found a wide variety of options around (I took a look at BB, Staples and Canada Computers).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by 57; 2008-03-03 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.

post #94 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 06:18 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
My suggestion would be to read the earlier posts in this thread, as well as the other UPS/SS threads in this forum. The square wave only comes into effect when under battery power, which shouldn't be too often and doesn't harm the equipment - if it did, these devices would not be sold. If the TV doesn't have a bulb/fan, then you can plug it into the surge protected side of the UPS and you don't need to purchase an expensive UPS at all.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=80809

Also, please see the following post, useful for newbies to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

post #95 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 06:28 PM

Thanks for your reply 57, I did read a whole bunch of posts around the forums here, but it only added to my confusion, so I figured I'd ask straight out I'm pretty much a HDTV newbie, but I assume an LCD tv does not have a bulb or fan that would need it to be plugged into the UPS side? If the tv is plugged into the surge protection only side would it turn off if there's a power flicker?
post #96 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 07:23 PM

Depends on the length of the "flicker" or brownout. If long enough, then yes, it would turn off, the same way as if it was plugged into the wall. LCD flat panels do not really need to plugged into the battery side, unless that's something you want, which would require a larger UPS and may impact the SA8300HD and External HDD running time.

post #97 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-03-05, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
80'sMan. This post is not intended to stop people from posting suggestions, however, you can use the "search this thread" function, right above your post to search for a keyword like "rack". There were a couple of previous posts in this thread.
I was hoping for a little more help and effort than that on my post. A sweeping search for the term "rack" in the forum Cables, Power Bars, Surge Suppressors and Switches resulted in 8 threads totalling 545 replies. I have scanned through every one of them. Out of all those, only three were somewhat pertinent threads . . .
One for a Zektor HS4 that's not even available in Canada. Another with only one example from more than 5 years ago for $150. And lastly an old post from 3 years ago that wasn't very helpful.
Also my mention of rack is the only one in this entire thread.

I'll give it one more shot . . .
Quote:
I would like to get a good rack mount power bar. I think it would look cool in my rack of half a dozen other componants (spaced and cooled). I've even seen some that have a retractable light(bling!).
What's your guys experience with them and can you recommend a good one at a reasonable price?
Or should I have just started this as a new topic?
Thanks
post #98 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-03-05, 03:00 PM

Quote:
my mention of rack is the only one in this entire thread.
I found several links by searching for rack in this thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...9&postcount=21

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...4&postcount=12 (from post 13)

Not sure if they're any use. I guess not many people use rack mounted ones. Starting a new thread is unlikely to get you any more responses - if anyone had any suggestions, they'd probably have posted here.

post #99 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-03-08, 11:33 AM

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.
post #100 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-04-10, 08:43 PM

I was just at Princess Auto, they did have some power bars there.

I also went into Future Shop again, and have some questions regarding the different products. There's a Dynex brand power bar, about 2900 Joule rating, $100,000 warranty, eight power outlets and coaxial in/outputs. It was $30-40. Then there was another Dynex power bar, labelled as being for home theatre systems, 3100 Joule rating, $125,000 warranty, 10 power outlets and coax in/out. That cost $129.

I may be a bit off on the specs, but that's pretty close. What is the real difference here? The second one has pretty colour-coded outlets for your monitor, DVD player, cable box etc., but it's not at all clear to me why it's so much more expensive. Is it just a marketing ploy, that because it says "for home theatre" that people will shell out more money, or am I missing something here? (And then the Monster power bars are $189 and up, but I've read about the markup there. I'm just looking at a price comparison within a brand.)
post #101 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-04-11, 01:14 PM

the 129 one is a line conditioner and lays flat on your equipment, it's a re branded bar who's name escapes me at the moment.
post #102 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 08:35 PM

I have a Belkin surge protector that has phone in/out, and satellite in/out, as well as the usual. My question is: if the power bar is turned off to eliminate the phantom load, is it still protecting?
post #103 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 05:41 AM

I'm a huge fan of Panamax. I have the 5300PM and the 1500UPS.
post #104 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-08-19, 12:48 AM
Rookie

Location: Vancouver, Shaw. Toshiba 52XV540U, Motorolla DCT3416, Samsung HT AS-720, PS3, TrippLite HT1000UPS
How powerful of a UPS do I need?

I am certainly new to all of this, so please talk to me like a 2 year old.
I just purchased a house and move in in a month.
I am buying a Sharp Aquos (LC46D82U), shaw HD PVR, and samsung home theatre in a box (HT-AS720) 650 watts and a PS3.

I am trying to buy all the other accesories and what not online before i move in (ie. cables, ups anything else like that) frankly because its cheaper.

I have read all kinds of posts for the last two days but i really am having trouble finding a definitive answer about what kind of UPS I NEED.
I say need because i am not really a home entertainment snob as i call it. No offence to anyone. I just want something that will protect my equipment and provide some sort of quality improvement.
Or do i need a UPS at all???
thanks for you help.
post #105 of 247 (permalink) Old 2008-08-19, 12:59 AM

It's a good idea to have a UPS when you have a PVR, however, the only piece of equipment that needs to be plugged into the battery protected side is the PVR, which draws relatively little power.

Plug the other equipment into the surge protected side of the UPS and it will "power down" when there is a power failure, but you don't need the battery side to run your HTiB or TV when there is a power failure - the UPS would need to be too large to give you any significant run-time.

You can therefore purchase a relatively inexpensive UPS for say $50-100 from say APC or Panamax, etc. (say 350-650 VA) Your post was merged into this existing thread. Please read earlier posts in this thread on the topic.

Here's a calculator that's handy... Click on configure by load.

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm?

See also the following post - useful for those new to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

Tags
power protection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in